09/04/14 | Drake Magazine
Ken Morrish spent two months staring at a grasshopper he’d...
11/19/14 | Drake Magazine
Kevin McKay of maineflyfish.com started Flies for Kids to get...

Message Boards

Sulphur Split Back Emerger Long Azz tut!

kind of self-explanatory, right? We seem to have some impressive thread-wrappers that lurk around this board. let's try to keep your "first booger" posts at a minimum.
fishermansfly
Sorry guys there's just no other way to simplify this! This fly looks rather time consuming from this tut but I assure you once you've got the hang of it it's a 7min tie, maybe shorter if the materials are prepped.
I have no idea on the creator of this fly, all I know is it is impossible to find in fly shops out east! Hope you all enjoy.
Materials List;
TMC 100 14, 16, 18, 20
.15 or .20 Lead Free Wire
Hard As Nails (Nail Polish)
Black Thread 6/0
5X Monofiliament (Tippet)
Lemon Wood Duck Flank
Rust Colored Superfine Dubbing
Razor Foam Yellow
Black Turkey Biots (2)
Died Cream Partridge Feather

Tying Instructions;
Start off by wrapping 6 to 7 wraps of lead on the hook. Leave enough room to allow room to tie in a few materials and a whip finish upon completion of the fly..around 1/16"
Start your thread, then tie in your mono, and wrap down to the hook bend.

Now prep your lemon wood duck so that all the tips are just about even, the length of the tail should be just shy of the length of the body of the fly. Tie in the feather, make sure to pull the mono off to the opposite side of the fly so that it doesn't later interfere with the tail while ribbing the fly.
Use the rest of the feather to help build the abdomen of the fly and cut the feather just shy of the lead.
Dub time! Dub up, building the abdomen of the fly and finish dubbing on top of your lead, you don't have to cover the lead with dubbing just yet, we will dub again in a minute. After dubbing whip finish.

Now wind the mono upshank and tie off (whip finish).
Now it's time for the turkey biots. Start by leaving your thread hanging and slip one biot inbetween the thread and the dubbing of the fly. Position the first so that it lies just left of the hook eye then lay in the second biot so that it sits just right of the hook eye, should look something like this.

Use your Dr. Slicks to push the biots where you want them.

Cut out a small strip of yellow razor foam, tie it in directly on top of the biots and get ready for more dubbing.

Dub almost up to the hook eye and now it's time to prep the partridge feather.
Start by grabbing a shoulder feather from the skin, a full spoon shaped feather. Strip back some of the fibers from the quill. Should look like this.
Take your Dr. Slicks and barely open them, find the vein of the feather and press down on your fingertip and snip. This will make a V.

Wet the feather and then lay it ontop of the hook where you finished dubbing, using the "V" of the feather to split the hook. Take your thumb and pointer finger to secure the feather on both sides of the hook shank, and then cinch the fibers down with a few wraps of thread.

Now it's time to fold the foam strip over giving it a good stretch and tying it off at the hook eye.
Now fold the turkey biots over to form the splitting wing case, do the same with the second. These biots should lie to the left and right of the hook eye.

Cut off the excess and whip finish the head.

I seriously hope this tut made a little sense.

~Brett

Mr. Don
Is that fuckin' foam? :cheer
"I'm a wed-hot sportsman after wild game." E. Fudd

fishermansfly
Your damn right! I guess that was perfectly in sync with the other foam post...Has a ton of uses...Ulf Hagstrom is one of the best I've seen with foam...The dude is spot on with it. Here's a link to his site http://ulfhagstrom.blogspot.com/
Something I forgot to mention is this fly doesn't have to be weighted nor do you have to use mono for the rib.

Also the original pattern I believe calls for the same lemon wood duck for the legs. I just think the partridge approach is a little easier.

Cheers :cool
~Brett

Outcast
Yeah it's foam. You should have know he was a fuck-up, he's left handed. What more is there to know? Left handed=douchebag.

PS: I'm a lefty and kick the shit out of fish on that pattern too. :cool
Outcast's initial response to you is just the sort of mean, immediate, unnecessary, gatekeeper-bullshit newbie-bashing that I've come to hate on my own board. But then, somehow, miraculously, in only six posts, you managed to earn it. -nemo

"Around here service is not just another six letter word." -Gaper's Pimp

Salmotrutta
Shit- I'm a Lefty. After hearing you are I may chop off my hand.

Nice fly. I'm confused about the foam & lead though? Creepy.
Lyrical

Mr. Don
Salmotrutta wrote:Shit- I'm a Lefty. After hearing you are I may chop off my hand.

True. I didn't read the whole thing and missed that. Foam and lead? Hmmmm.
"I'm a wed-hot sportsman after wild game." E. Fudd

southernstrain
Salmotrutta wrote:Shit- I'm a Lefty. After hearing you are I may chop off my hand.

think pogo nymph as far as foam and lead go

seriously this fly hammers fish on the soho and tie it in a brownish/olive for bwo's

i'm a big fan of tungsten beads though and generally leave out the lead

nice tie and tutorial by the way :gun

fishermansfly
:stupid Yea, I didn't mention that...I started fishing this fly on the SoHo. Bought it at the only fly shop you could buy it at there riverside at the Champions place. After fishing it I noticed all my hook ups came from fishing it upstream at a 45 into the head of a riffle. Where the fly would have no choice but to be pulled down deep, hence the lead.

As for the pogo, yea...I digg the concept and I've seen it work well in the Smokies. And, as for the bead head, I think it makes the fly look terrible and forces a ton of material in a small space. I wanted to do this tut because it's a great fly to tie but a horrible one to buy! The first fish that grabs hold of a store bought fly usually breaks the turkey biot :gun , I've even thought about epoxying the back on it. Haven't done it yet, but have used a ton of Hard as Nails.

I'm gonna go for a bwo pattern here soon too. Southerstrain, have you used Hugh H. Rockhold Emerger? It's probably the most ass kickin fly on the SoHo I've personally ever used. If you buy Hugh's he weights um with lead...this is another fly that works either way!

~Brett

Salmotrutta
This SOHO talk is starting to perk my ears up.
Lyrical

southernstrain
FF- I have not tried hartsells emerger, will have to find the pattern and tie some up. However, can promise you the bwo split back will impress you. I use sally hansens on the split backs but they still get tore up quick. But as long as they're catchin fish I aint complainin.

Salmo- aint no betta place to throw 15' leaders and use up all your flouro than the soho...well in the south anyway

Next

Return to Fly Tying