stolen hours - TR(s)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
woolly bugger

Re: stolen hours - TR(s)

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:16 am

2017 – 71

“interested in a float tomorrow?”

“hell yes!”

On the road before 6 with 2:35 to go, 9 o’clock rendezvous at the take out, time to grab a bite to eat along the way, and hit up the fly shop for some stremers. Fuk, $6.50 for an articulated! Will have to get busy on the vise.

Morin cheers from the river while waiting for the boat.

There she is..

Hey look, it’s Buddy the boat god.

Got some streamer love real quick after the launch. Looked like the 1200 cfs sluice was going to be magic. But the bite slowed down and although there were a lot of follows the hook ups were rare.

This gill hooked bow went into the cooler for Travis’ dinner.

At some point we got into an acre of rising trouts and the dry fly action was strong.

2017 – 72

Saw Chuck Brodsky Friday night, a great story teller who had us laughing and crying as he describes events in his life that influenced his song writing. After a lazy start I got up to the river in the afternoon, sat down, and drank a beer and ate a snad before pulling on the waders and heading on down to the river.

Puffball fungi…

Ran into a friend, swaped stories and drank some beers, while waiting for a hatch.

4:00

Beginning to see some fall colors as the trees begin to shed some leaves

not

trainwrecker

Accidental coolness..

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:37 am

2017 – 73

Went back to see if there was going to be any evening action. Stayed until dark. Caught some fish. The damn dam work is still messing with the river clarity. Word is that they will be testing the one working generator this coming week. I can only hope that this will begin to flush out the system.

2017 – 74

Drifts sent a text on Monday about float’in the New on Friday… worked late on Thursday to push a project out the door. Then went to the Venture Café for some networking (free beer) which lead to more beer and a late night… when the alarm went off at 5:30 I thought I was going to die. All the way up on the two hour drive I was thinking “you’re too old for this shit”. Pulled in to the river take-out at 7:56 where Dave and Aaron were waiting beers in hand with the Boulder Boat in tow.

Transferred my gear and stashed some beer in the cooler. The theory was that with the recent warm days this would be one of the last times we could float for some top water smallie action. The short shuttle put us on the water by 8:30 and the water was low and clear. (we later found out that they had cut the water at the dam and the river was dropping all day long, with reports that it fishes better with steady higher flows)

The bite was on early and we doubled up on the first fish, a pair of scrappy “fun-sized” smallies. I drank some water. We switched seats and everybody got a spell on the sticks. More fish came to hand but the action was slowing down as the sun rose and beat down on us. I drank more water and passed beers to Dave and Aaron. In one of the rotations I got the front seat and after trying a cicada pattern switched back to a white gurgler. We had be targeting the banks and most of the fish we caught were sitting right up against it. But we didn’t neglect any structure or fishy channels. I cast into one of those spots and a fish inhaled the gurgler, a fight was on as this was the best fish of the day by far. It jumped thrice as Dave tried to capture it in slo-mo. It measured over 18”, I drank more water and returned to the rowers seat and went out of my comfort zone by taking the Boulder is some of the biggest rapids I’ve navigated to date.

Dave, fishing sub surface got into a smallie or two and several red eye as well as the bite really shut down in the afternoon. My cold pizza had revived me a bit, and I still drank more water.

At the take-out, my hands full of gear, I donated the four Full Nelson beers that I had brought along to the boat’s Yeti.

My photo dump below, stay tuned for Dave’s slo-mo banjo music video.

Starting out with Dave rowing and Aaron in the bow.

Casting requires tongue action.

4527AD25-F937-4A75-ACCC-3969C4D3CF5F.png
4527AD25-F937-4A75-ACCC-3969C4D3CF5F.png (991.59 KiB) Viewed 853 times

me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:37 am

2017 – 75

I got up early and took care of some car maintenance, caught up on some billing and archived the jobs that were completed last week. I went to the coffee shop and processed the photos for the last trip report. After posting that I began thinking about spending a couple of hours up on the river, maybe even fry up a trout for dinner. On the way up I resumed listening to Mark Twain’s Roughing It, the story of his planned three month vacation to the silver mines on Nevada that ended up in a seven year stay. It’s as humorous as it is an informative history of the west.

So, before I go any further, let me back track to the S. Holston float trip, where I forgot to mention the crazy dry fly action that we encountered. As mentioned briefly back in the TR, the birds were going nuts, diving and swooping all around us, but early on we didn’t see any risers, so we stuck with streamers. When we arrived at the big flats the fish were boiling all around us and we swithed to dries. The pattern? #16 Puff Daddy. We caught fish, but many times as the fly drifted, a bird would swoop down and pick it up off the water! They dropped it quickly enough that it continued on it’s path. Sometimes two or even three different birds would pick it up one after the other. It was almost as if we were fishing for birds! One or two even grabbed it in the air before it settled upon the water. Fortunately no birds were caught and we got enough unmolested drifts that the trout had time to see the fly and eat it.

Back to yesterday, two cars in the lot, VA tags, a Subaru Forster and a Toyota Rav 4, I hoped they weren’t in my run. A truck with a trailer full of canoes and kayaks pulled up outside the Mirror Plant gate. Another truck pulled up and opened the gate. “What the hell”, I thought. As I was gearing up and stashing koozie wrapped beers in my vest, I fisherman and his wife (assumption on my part) walked up and I asked, “How’d you do?” “Lots of small browns and one large smallmouth,” he replied as he held up his broken ultra-light spinning rod. “I fought that fish for 20 minutes and he broke my rod.” “Wow, a smallmouth?”, was all I could say. I continued getting ready and walked away shaking my head. Hmmmm, tailwater smallies, yeah right. Water temp is 58 degrees on a hot day.

Side note: I just called the South Holston Fly Shop to check on river conditions.

I hiked on in and met the owner of the Subaru, he reported frustrating dry fly action as he should me the fly he was using, looked a bit big to me. I continued on and saw that the canoe trailer belonged to a group of scouts, they had just completed their river trip and were getting ready to cook dinner. I spoke to them and asked if they knew Shane, they did, he wasn’t along with them on this trip. I walked on down to my spot, the place with the gravel bar where I took Sally god for so many years. There is a bench of a bank where I’ve sat and waited, drank beers, ate snacks and fried up fish. As I walked the path I saw a scout down on the water, we exchanged greeting and he left and I stashed my beers on the bank. As I turned back to the water I caught of wiff of crap and looked down and there right on the gravel bar was a Franzian worthy load half covered with TP. WTF? Damn scouts! I moved my beer and relocated upstream and up wind. The scout came back down, “Looking for a lighter” he said. “Is that your crap,” I inquired. “No, sir, I thing that was there yesterday.” “It looks and smells to fresh to have been there very long,” I scolded, knowing full well that this kid was lying and was the culprit. “I’ll report it,” he said as he left and walked back to camp.

I’ve fished this stretch of river for 25 years. I like it here because it’s void of trash and is more remote than the stocked sections were most bait and spin fisherman go. I had a difficult time forgetting about this desecration. Fish rose and I changed flies a half dozen times before selecting the one they liked. I caught a few and then it was getting dark on the water.
As I walked out I stopped and talked to the adults who were stading about their campfire and told them about the crap on the gravel bar and the scout in the blue shorts with black hair and glasses. They responded with “We will make this a teaching moment!” and as I wished them a good night and walked off I heard him yell, “Reed, grab a shovel!”

Back at the car I had another beer and ate my snack of Stilton Blue and summer sausage. Packed up I began the drive home. A yearling doe darted out in front of the car, I slowed and checked the roadside from where it came, there was another one, it came out and stopped and then darted right in front of me. I hit the brakes, all the gear in the car went flying and I could have sworn that I hit it but as I glanced to the left I saw it bounding away after its sibling. I pulled into the Citgo just to check the front end. No damage, but that sure looks like deer hair! Maybe I should by a lottery ticket.

If I leave now, I can be on the S. Holston by one! See ya.

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:49 pm

2017 – 76

I pulled into the dam parking lot at 2:00, it was about ½ full. The sluicing @275 cfs was an easy wade, but I walked back to the car to get my staff, just in case. It was pretty stacked up for quite far downstream, but I finally squeezed in-between a couple of anglers. I worked the run with the puff daddy, comparaduns, cripples, emergers, I threw everything I had in the box at those picky bastards, sure I caught a bunch of fish, punes they were, but I was after the two bigger fish that I saw occasionally slashing the water at the head of the run. They hit the fly several times, but I couldn’t seal the deal. As the afternoon waned to evening, I tied on my last fly of the day, a rusty spinner, and got a hook up or rise on just about every cast.

I walked out and watch a young guy tossing streamers in the fading light, I didn’t see him hook up. Back at the weir I paused to send a selfie to the GF and let her know I was on the way home. Then this women (and I use that term loosely, after all this is East TN) came up to me and informed me that I had better not have been taking pictures of her or her family or she was gonna bust my phone! Her daughter had seen me holding the phone up and assumed that I was photographing her and her child as she was unloading the family van as they were setting up to fish on the bank above the weir. Her husband (my assumption) came over and stood beside her, I was outnumbered 3:1 and outweighed about 10:1. Not wanting to rile the natives in the now empty parking lot, I made a quick retreat to my vehicle.

Now at the other end of the lot, the young fisherman came buy the only other car and I asked how he had done with the streamers, not too bad he replied, got one that went about 15” and about a dozen that were smaller. I failed to ask was pattern he was strpping.
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:59 pm

2017 – 77

With the cooler temps I went looking for Leroy with some articulated streamers.
Covered a lot of water with the streamer and with stonefly nymphs. Turned a nice brown that swiped at the barely legal fly and I felt the short strike. Finally after drinking a beer, I hooked a fish as kayakers came through the rapids. Oh crap, that’s not a trout! Oh well.

They are sprouting up everywhere… kicked ‘em back into the streambed

Sam Adams Oktoberfest, yum!

chub*life

2017 – 78

The next day, same river, different stretches. Worked it hard, heavy flies, sinking line, slow retrieve, downstream swing, dark flies, black, olivie and others . Chubs were all I had to show for it. As dusk approached I moved on back to where I was the other day. Unidentified spinner fall. Kingfishers moving up and down their territory chirping out warnings. The color of the water turned to black and gold. Worked all the water, and then in an unlikely trout spot, I felt the tug, but the tug felt foreign and turned out to be a smalljaws, only the second one I’ve caught on this river.

Somebody has to love them, right?

Nice that trout live in such beautiful places

UFB

That will have to do…

me "There's a season???"

croaker

Post by croaker » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 pm

Looks like some kinda Spotted/LM bass hybird instead of a Smalljaw to me.
Not bad fer a trout/hornyhead stream.

:cool
"You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him"---Robert A. Heinlein.
"Every time a fish came to the top, he grinned from ear to ear"--- fatman

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:13 am

croaker wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 pm
Looks like some kinda Spotted/LM bass hybird instead of a Smalljaw to me.
Not bad fer a trout/hornyhead stream.

:cool
When you expect a brown and get a bass and are grateful for any tug harder than a chub, :cheer quick pic and release, shows how much warmer this river has become because of the damn dam problems.... :Roll Eyes
2017-10-04_9-16-10.jpg
2017-10-04_9-16-10.jpg (61.42 KiB) Viewed 461 times
me "There's a season???"

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:57 am

I give you a B+ for trying.
Surf donks are in, trout are ghey :gun
knock up a shop owners daughter. drake dudes will send money.

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:34 am

Transylwader wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:57 am
1. it's a nice place to drink beer
b. you've not called
3. i'll be back next week
me "There's a season???"

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:02 am

woolly bugger wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:34 am
Transylwader wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:57 am
3. i'll be back next week
Holla, Goldie has a spot. Bouncing next Thursday eve:smile
knock up a shop owners daughter. drake dudes will send money.

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm

2017 – 79, 80

The 17 year old bi-annual Southern Bake thing known as The Psycho Fly Fihers or PFF for short had it’s 36th gathering on the banks of the Watauga River in East Tennessee. I didn’t attend, was planning to go and cook too, but the GF had some time off that overlapped the event. We spent the days in Western NC on a R&R trip that included visits to waterfalls and visiting friends in the area. The leaves were just starting to turn, but you can’t plan everything. I brought along a rod but it never left its case, no time for fishing, but that was a good thing.

Yeti Killer???

Look at the width of these logs!

Dinner…

Drove back into town on Monday evening and stopped in for a beer after dropping the GF off at her place. The phone rang, Randy, my parent’s neighbor on the line informed me that my mom, who is one month shy of 92, was in an auto accident and he had taken my dad down to the hospital. Mom had suffered a subdural hematoma but was otherwise in good condition. After a three day, she returned home and is getting along great.

On Tuesday I got a message from a friend asking if I had heard about Sterling. This dude lost his wife in August of last year, and now his daughter had to bury her father who had suffered a heart attack and had died alone at home.
On Thursday I got a call from a PFF straw boss, and he told me that at the bake they had decided that the PFF should send last spring’s group photo to F.T. who had attended back then, but was now succumbing to his battle with cancer and in hospice. I sent the files off to my printer and later in the day took it over to the framer who promised that it would be ready by five on Friday.

Busy work day on Friday, and dinner with the GF at 6:30 and Béla Fleck at 8:00 for the annual Piedmont Land Jam concert made for a tight schedule. Ran home, got changed, off to the frame shop. The print looked stunning, sort of elegant considering the subject matter, and I had the framer take a quick pic before I took it over to the UPS for shipping. Packed and shipped and I had time for a beer before heading over for dinner.

Laura Lynn Dossett opened the concert and preformed a great set of her soulful ballads and protest songs. Then, after a brief intermission Béla took the stage with Abigale Washburn and entertained us all with music, stories and jokes for the next two hours!

Saturday I finished up work, billing and quarterly taxes, before heading out to Sterling’s funeral service. I was an informal affair with several of his musician friends playing some of his favorite tunes. The was a large gathering of family and friends. Stories were told and we celebrated his life for the short time we gathered. I took off after an hour or so, and headed up to the local to clear my head.

Moderate flow, slight stain, I’ll throw a streamer. Fished the big hole and on down the island run without a bump. Worked all the places where I’d found trout before, but nobody was home. Then, boom! Nice fish, good fight. Stripped into the net in short order, oh my, what a beautiful fish! Photos don’t do it justice. This is the first decent fish I’ve caught since the spring on this stretch of water and I hope this is a good sign that the fall/winter/spring will bring more great fish to hand.

Moving on down I got into a pair of small bass, but no more trout were found and I left the water when it was too dark to see.

On the way home I replied to an earlier text about fishing the SoHo on Sunday. I said, “if I get up in time, I’ll be there.

File under strange stuff you see on the road…

On the road at 7:20, I only had to stop for coffee and ice. Two sixer of Laguntus Sucks were in the Yeti and I carried a couple into the river and down to my friend who was wading at the hole below the asshole.

We talked mid-stream while we drank our beer. The conversation was more important than fishing at the moment. I caught him up with the F.T. / PFF story and he told me about his trips to B.C. and Spain.

The sluice was over 300 and not a flow that I was used to fishing, it showed because I was thinking streamers, and as other reports would tell, the fish were feeding on midges. We moved up top for the evening hatch, which was a mixed bag of sulfurs and bows. Many fish were caught and we even had a couple of doubles. Thinks looked like there were picking up a dusk and I tried to move into positon but slipped and fell into the chilly water, which quickly ran down my waist high waders and ran down into my boots. That was it for me and I hiked out to change into dry clothes.

Last edited by woolly bugger on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
me "There's a season???"

Obie

Post by Obie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Ran across a couple puffballs the size of my fist outside the office this morning, didn't get to them quick enough. T

Thanks (as always) for sharing :cool