Jackson in July

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
trouthound

Jackson in July

Post by trouthound » Wed May 17, 2006 8:33 am

Hey guys, I'll be in Jackson Hole on Saturday July 8. Never been before so anybody have a guide recomendation. Nornally I'd just venture out on my own but I will have just finished a week of family time in Big Sky MT and we are driving to JH on friday eve and flying out on Sunday and momma said I can fish so I figured I'd maximize my chances.
The lord chooses the good ones...the bad ones choose the lord

capt_gordon

Re: Jackson in July

Post by capt_gordon » Wed May 17, 2006 10:09 am

My plan if I were in Jackson, WY in July:1. Find a stream or creek anywhere or anyplace within driving distance of Jackson.n 2. Get out of car.n 3. Put on waders and gear.n 4. Rig up rod.n 5. Walk to stream or creek.n 6. Begin fishing for trout that are surely there.n 7. Catch said trout.n 8. Be happy as hell that you are NOT fishing for measly, little, crappy North Carolina wild trout or big, fat, corn fed, disgusting NC private stream pigs.
Look,it's not in my nature to be mysterious. But I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why.

Nemo

Post by Nemo » Wed May 17, 2006 12:02 pm

Hey Trouthound--I've got a ton of ideas for you but I'd start by calling Baker at Westbank Anglers (800-922-3474) and seeing if you can go with John Griber for the day. John's a great guide and a member of this board and if he's in town I'm sure he'll do it.Either way, you should call Westbank or Jack Dennis Sports to book a guide because you may want to float the South Fork of the Snake (in Idaho) or the Green (south of Jackson Hole) instead of the main Snake. (You wouldn't have to drive anywhere else, the trip would still originate in Jackson.) I say this because, believe it or not, July 8th is still pretty early for fishing up there, especially in a big snow year like the one they just had. And while capt. Gordon's suggestions are good ones, the fact is that the upper Snake is sort of hard to fish on foot because of all the side channels.So, yes, there are some creeks to hit, but most of the tributaries to the Snake or Y'Stone River don't even open until July 15th, so your best bet is to book a float trip. And again—they'll take you to wherever it's fishing best—but during that time, i'd suggest looking at either the South Fork or the upper Green.
"Any mods on this forum or what? It's just a free for all of people being assholes to one another?"

trouthound

Post by trouthound » Wed May 17, 2006 7:57 pm

Thanks nemo, I had forgotten that I had talked with some guys from Westbank at the Fly show in Charlotte this past winter. I will be calling them tomorrow. I hadn't considered the massive amounts of snow, thanks for the tip because normally I would have done just what Gordon said if I had more time.

Adams

Post by Adams » Wed May 17, 2006 9:09 pm

I will bow to the experience of nemo, and add that you will have a hell of a good time floating the Snake, South Fork, or Green. Damned fine water. I've fished that area a couple of times, at different times fo the year. If you are limited to wading only, the Grosse Ventre has some interesting water (but I have no idea what it would be like in July). I was out there in August one year, and the Snake was still damned high and tough wading. Lots of volleyball sized, snot covered rocks. But man, were there fish around. If you ask lots of questions, you can find some wadable spots. Adams

<small>[ May 17, 2006, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Adams ]</small>
If you need a reason to drink, you have a problem. . .

"I just think it's funny that the one constant in this place over the past five years is that it was a cool place right up until the next person joined." nemo

When life gives you limes, it's Gods way of telling you that you're an idiot. spudnik

trouthound

Post by trouthound » Thu May 18, 2006 7:51 am

Thanks Adams, I think a float might be the way to go. I will have been hoofing it around the Gallatin river and Yellowstone park area unguided the entire previous week and a guided float might just be the ticket.

<small>[ May 18, 2006, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: trouthound ]</small>