Bourbon drinkers

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Re: Bourbon drinkers

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:38 pm

I drink Bulleit as a 'daily' drinker as it runs me $19.99/bottle; however, the best line to my tastes are the Ol' Pappy Van Winkles. Even the Pappy 'B' Lot at $28.99/ out does the 'B' bourbons (Basil Hayden, Bookers, and Bakers) that run near double that.

T.J. Brayshaw

Post by T.J. Brayshaw » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:58 pm

Man, I just can't get into Bulleit. I have the bourbon and the rye, and don't care for either. I think they use a lot of rye in the bourbon too. Maybe I just don't like rye.

My everyday cheap is Evan Williams, at around $12.00 a bottle (750 ml).

I like Buffalo Trace though.

Think I mentioned this in the other "not bourbon" thread, but Johnnie Drum Private Select 101 is good stuff, and I like Mitcher's Unblended American Whiskey too.

A buddy and I polished off a bunch of Prichard's Double Barrell and it damn near killed me (bloody vomit, 36 hours in bed, the works...). I think it was the volume and not the product, though. From what I recall, it was pretty good, but not worth the price.

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:42 am

I'm in Seattle today and this is my journal entry from this morning:

So me and Dorcey was sittin in a little French restaurant overlooking Pugent sound. I was pretty amazed at the mountains to the west of this historic town and just really diggin the local vibe and some really great escargo. We had Been discussing my next novel and I looked up and happened to spot a dusty 3/4 full bottle of 23 year old Pappy ( that's PappY van Winkle for those of you that don't know shit about nothin.....usually 50 bucks a pour......it's the best of the best). So I ask the young bartender," what's that stuff up there in that old dusty bottle?". He stumbled around trying to not knock the newer stuff down then grabbed the bottle by the neck and says," I dunno must not be very good .......look at the dust on this thing..........do you wanna try it?".

The rest is history but I left him a decent tip.
"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc

T.J. Brayshaw

Post by T.J. Brayshaw » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:55 am

B.M. Barrelcooker wrote:I'm in Seattle today and this is my journal entry from this morning:

So me and Dorcey was sittin in a little French restaurant overlooking Pugent sound. I was pretty amazed at the mountains to the west of this historic town and just really diggin the local vibe and some really great escargo. We had Been discussing my next novel and I looked up and happened to spot a dusty 3/4 full bottle of 23 year old Pappy ( that's PappY van Winkle for those of you that don't know shit about nothin.....usually 50 bucks a pour......it's the best of the best). So I ask the young bartender," what's that stuff up there in that old dusty bottle?". He stumbled around trying to not knock the newer stuff down then grabbed the bottle by the neck and says," I dunno must not be very good .......look at the dust on this thing..........do you wanna try it?".

The rest is history but I left him a decent tip.
You're not serious, are you?

Nobody around here has any Pappy Van Winkle. (And if I ask, they all know exactly what I'm referring to...so I'm not likely to get a cheap pour anywhere.)

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:01 am

Serious as a headache.
Last edited by B.M. Barrelcooker on Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc

T.J. Brayshaw

Post by T.J. Brayshaw » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:39 pm

Picked up a bottle of W.L. Weller Special Reserve and Corner Creek Reserve bourbons today. I'm working on a glass of the Corner Creek and can't say it excites me much yet, but we'll see how I feel about it later. The W.L. Weller seems like a hell of a deal at $17. I only gave it sip so far, but I'll get serious about it soon enough.

No Idea

Post by No Idea » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:08 am

January 2012- Bourbon dinner featuring PVW. Rep mentions too bad about my Wl Weller favorite. Seems PVW bought a bunch of barrels of 7 year WL Weller before it got dumped and bottled. Sure enough
February 2012- I see first new expression of WL Weller sans 7 year old label on the neck. It now reads 90 proof where the 7 once was printed.
June 2012 found a few remnant bottles at a liquor store far from home.
August 2012 Garden and Gun does yet another PVW article. Shit.

PVW will release again in October 2012. I'm sure lines of wealthy fans will race to buy their bottles for Fall homecomings and hunt clubs.

WL Weller fans took a hit this year. If you can find the 12 year old Weller ante up the $19-$25 and try not to think of the travesty that occurred this year. Evan Williams did it a few years back, Wild Turkey did it a decade ago. The bourbon hype has brought out some great whiskey, but it has also been the demise of blue collar budgeting for a decent bar whiskey at the house.

Bourbon has always made it's way down to New Orleans where enterprising businessmen have made good money buying and selling it. Sazerac Company Inc shows that this model still holds true, heck they bought some of the distilleries in KY. It's easier to find 12 year Weller in a NOLA grocery store than it is in a Spirit shop in KY.

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:45 pm

the man speaks the troof

T.J. Brayshaw

Post by T.J. Brayshaw » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:23 pm

My bottle of Weller says "Aged 7 years" on the neck. What does this mean? (I understand what "Aged 7 years" means. What I mean is, is this a different bottling from what you're finding?)

Anyway, I think you're right: there are upsides and downsides to the rise in the popularity of bourbon. I happened to get lucky in that I had to move to take a new job and it just so happens that I'm now five minutes from the store with the largest selection of whiskies, of all kinds, in the state. I'll be an old(er) man before I try all the bourbons they have there, and I'll never be able to afford even a fraction of all the single malts they carry. Every time I stop in to browse, the salesman pours me sample or two. It's like heaven in there.

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:45 pm

T.J. Brayshaw

Post by T.J. Brayshaw » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:53 pm

I made it through the first 11 or 12 seconds.

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:32 pm

hahhaaa. i can dig it. basicly buy the weller if you can't aford the pappy.
Last edited by B.M. Barrelcooker on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.