This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By SOBF
#546905
Image
I need to do that to the bottle Charlie Jenkem left for me ! I still have a drink or two left. It's damn tasty.
User avatar
By T.J. Brayshaw
#546912
Four Roses bottle almost full: POSTED FRI NOV 29, 2013 10:14 PM | BY IRONMAN

Four Roses bottle empty: POSTED SAT NOV 30, 2013 12:35 AM | BY IRONMAN

Elapsed time: 2 hours, 21 minutes.

Impressive.
User avatar
By fallen513
#546928
Iron Gut!


Mind your meat boy!
User avatar
By fatman
#550219
My BIL has a half gallon of David Nicholson 1843 7 year. Distilled 1965, bottled 1972. Seal has not been cracked.
This was a gift to him from our FIL.

Question: Do distilled spirits continue to age after they've left the cask?

payment:
pay1.jpg
pay1.jpg (41.46 KiB) Viewed 625 times
User avatar
By T.J. Brayshaw
#550222
fatman wrote:
Question: Do distilled spirits continue to age after they've left the cask?
Folks in the know seem to debate this, but whatever is happening, it's not the same as the aging that goes on in the cask itself (since now you're not dealing with an interaction between the spirit and the wood.)

But even if it has changed flavor, it's unlikely that it's "gone skunk", so you'd only know the difference if somehow you could remember that other bottle you drank back in 1972!
User avatar
By ironman
#550235
The experts say that the glass is impermeable, so aging stops once bottled. However, oxidation can occur if the seal has been compromised, even if the paper seal is in tact. That may be the larger concern. Either way, pretty cool. Is this just something your BIL forgot about?
User avatar
By Hogleg
#550238
fatman wrote:My BIL has a half gallon of David Nicholson 1843 7 year. Distilled 1965, bottled 1972. Seal has not been cracked.
This was a gift to him from our FIL.

Question: Do distilled spirits continue to age after they've left the cask?

payment:
pay1.jpg
Send it to me and I'll check it out using the scientific principle.

I'll report back real soon on it.
User avatar
By austrotard
#550240
ironman wrote:
The experts say that the glass is impermeable, so aging stops once bottled.
gospel, this.

though the 'aging' can go on for days after consumption.
User avatar
By fallen513
#550249
Grape juice continues to age...


corn/barley/rye... not so much.
User avatar
By fatman
#550275
fallen513 wrote:Grape juice continues to age...


corn/barley/rye... not so much.
thanks for responses. this was our collective opinion.

nice to know experts agree.
  • 1
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 25

I blame Covid. When that hit, RV sales went throug[…]

2021 Smalljaw Swap

I'm sending in a piece of marabou on a toothpi[…]

Luau 2021

If I’m not on a Caribbean cruise or lake Pow[…]

https://nypost.com/2021/02/13/feds-arrest-man-du[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine