Thought that "Madoff" name sounded familiar...

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Nemo

Thought that "Madoff" name sounded familiar...

Post by Nemo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:58 pm

You know me, always looking to connect my boys on Wall Street with The Drake, so...
HadNoKnowledge.jpg
HadNoKnowledge.jpg (31.08 KiB) Viewed 13363 times
Meet Andy Madoff. A little over a year ago, Madoff was the leader of an investment group that bought Abel Reels. He was also an investor in NYC's Urban Angler Fly Shop and, I think, Thomas and Thomas. (He is no longer involved with Urban Angler.) Andy is the son of Bernard Madoff, he of the Ponzi scheme that is currently charged with defrauded investers of around $50 billion and has been all over the news the past three days. Here's a shortened version of the press release from November, 2007:

NEW YORK INVESTOR GROUP ACQUIRES ABEL
A small group of private investors has acquired Abel fly-fishing reels and fishing accessories. Andrew Madoff, Abel Holdings CEO and lead investor, said, “Abel’s 20 year legacy of unparalleled quality and performance makes it an attractive investment."

The New York Times is reporting this morning that, so far, there is no evidence that any of Mr. Madoff's sons (Andrew, Mark and Peter all worked at their dad's firm) helped their father carry out, oh... how do we put this delicately... "the largest financial fraud in history." So we'll see if that remains the case.

A moderately interesting side-note to the story (every good financial pages/fishing story has to involve a babe) is that Katherine Hooper—If you don't recognize the name, you may remember the cover of Fish and Fly a few years back, which featured a shot of her.
Edit:( Turns out, I can't use that shot. My Bad.)
Anyway, she is apparently Madoff's new love interest. (Never thought I'd use the words "love interest" but I saw it in on the cover of US Weekly at the Safeway checkout line, and had to steal it.)

Anyway, Hooper was also a former co-owner of Urban Angler and was formerly with fellow co-owner Jon Fisher (don't ask me what "with" means—it looks to have been a modern Manhattan relationship, so I don't know if they were ever married.)

In any case,Hooper's relationship with Fisher and Urban Angler dissolved about the same time Abel was being bought by Andy Madoff and his brothers. Neither Hooper nor Madoff are currently involved with Urban Angler. So what is she doing now? Pretty sure it has something to do with the new ownership group at Abel. Here's a shot of her and Andy Madoff at some NYC fundraiser:
Moneynotafactor.jpg
Moneynotafactor.jpg (36.29 KiB) Viewed 13359 times
And lastly, here is a photo and Youtube video (what report is complete without a YouTube video?) showing Mark Madoff—Andy's brother, part owner in the Abel group, and in no way connected or remotely aware of his father's fraudulent 50-billion-dollar scheme—fishing in Cabo. Oddly, it appears that Mark—despite being an "avid flyfisherman"—somehow never learned a double-haul.
MarkMadoff.jpg
MarkMadoff.jpg (201.43 KiB) Viewed 13367 times
http://wallstreetblips.dailyradar.com/v ... bel_reels/
"Any mods on this forum or what? It's just a free for all of people being assholes to one another?"

NoHumanityLeft
Location: Would rather eat bullet than be associated with some of you.

Re: Thought that "Madoff" name sounded familiar...

Post by NoHumanityLeft » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:01 pm

nemo wrote:You know me, always looking to connect my boys on Wall Street with The Drake, so...
HadNoKnowledge.jpg
Meet Andy Madoff. A little over a year ago, Madoff was the leader of an investment group who bought Abel Reels. He was also an investor in NYC's Urban Angler Fly Shop and, I think, Thomas and Thomas. Andy is the son of Bernard Madoff, he of the Ponzi scheme that is currently charged with defrauded investers of around $50 billion and has been all over the news the past three days. Here's a shortened version of the press release from November, 2007:

NEW YORK INVESTOR GROUP ACQUIRES ABEL
A small group of private investors has acquired Abel fly-fishing reels and fishing accessories. Andrew Madoff, Abel Holdings CEO and lead investor, said, “Abel’s 20 year legacy of unparalleled quality and performance makes it an attractive investment."

The New York Times is reporting this morning that, so far, there is no evidence that any of Mr. Madoff's sons (Andrew, Mark and Peter all worked at their dad's firm) helped their father carry out, oh... how do we put this delicately... "the largest financial fraud in history." So we'll see if that remains the case.

A moderately interesting side-note to the story (every good financial pages/fishing story has to involve a babe) is that Katherine Hooper—If you don't recognize the name, you may remember the cover of Fish and Fly a few years back, which featured a shot of her taken from this series:
ObligatoryBabe.jpg
is apparently Madoff's new love interest. (Never thought I'd use the words "love interest" but I saw it in on the cover of US Weekly at the Safeway checkout line, and had to steal it.)

Anyway, Hooper was also a co-owner of Urban Angler and was formerly with fellow co-owner Jon Fisher (don't ask me what "with" means—it looks to have been a modern Manhattan relationship, so I don't know if they were ever married. But I think they had a kid together. Or not. Whatever.)

In any case,Hooper's relationship with Fisher and Urban Angler dissolved about the same time Abel was being bought buy Andy Madoff and his brothers. So what is Catherine doing now? Pretty sure she has something to do with the new ownership group at Abel. Here's a shot of her and Andy Madoff at some NYC fundraiser:
Moneynotafactor.jpg
And lastly, here is a photo and Youtube video (what report is complete without a YouTube video?) showing Mark Madoff—Andy's brother, part owner in the Abel group, and in no way connected or remotely aware of his father's fraudulent 50-billion-dollar scheme—fishing in Cabo. Oddly, it appears that Mark—despite being an "avid flyfisherman"—somehow never learned a double-haul.

Madoff.jpg (36.29 KiB) Not viewed yet
http://wallstreetblips.dailyradar.com/v ... bel_reels/
QFT

Articulated Trico

Post by Articulated Trico » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:12 pm

Quality reporting nemo, quiet he scoop! Pretty their are more snakes in the grass out there! I wonder if Junior can double haul a Scott fly rod?
"them books is wrong"

"The universe shaped exactly like the earth if you go straight long enough you will end up where you were"

"Opinions were like kittens always giving them away"

Ramcatt

Post by Ramcatt » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:14 pm

where is the tea in salon shot?

and it looks like he cast with the right and reels with the right
"Ramcatt is the origninal cuntry fishing troubadour, and the youngest dirty old man to fish these waters"
- Al Goldstein (c.1973)

LTD

Post by LTD » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:30 pm

I wonder if I will be fishing with THEM again this year? :shock:
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!

Junior©

Post by Junior© » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:36 pm

Articulated Trico wrote: I wonder if Junior can double haul a Scott fly rod?
Yes, I can.

jr.

NICH

Post by NICH » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:37 pm

I love he keeps calling his shitty ass sets "trout sets". I'm a trout guy for the most part (because of location) and my dumb ass can still strip set like 73% of the time. Fucker need to put strip setting on the to do list along with double hauling.
"Did you hand a buddy your coors light and say "watch this" right before posting this shit?" Yard Sale

We've already discussed pissed stained goat pubes and their applications in fly tying... Do a search dumb@$$! JoshO

http://flyobsession.com/

Too Buku

Post by Too Buku » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:52 pm

Damn fine scoopage Nemo. You should start a magazine of some sort.
Never trust Whitey...

Outcast

Post by Outcast » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:01 pm

He's got the far casting green line so he's probably throwing that shit like 120' without a double haul.
He's also got the rod in mouth pose going from about 3:00 in until the end.

and who knew Nemo was a stock broker?
Outcast's initial response to you is just the sort of mean, immediate, unnecessary, gatekeeper-bullshit newbie-bashing that I've come to hate on my own board. But then, somehow, miraculously, in only six posts, you managed to earn it. -nemo

"Around here service is not just another six letter word." -Gaper's Pimp

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:02 pm

I'm sure they're great kids who would never follow Dad's example.

But more importantly, this thread reminds me that those Bo Derek braids are a real boner killer.
Last edited by Smithhammer on Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

Trucha Del Mar

Post by Trucha Del Mar » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Junior wrote:
Articulated Trico wrote: I wonder if Junior can double haul a Scott fly rod?
Yes, I can.

jr.
I'll vouch for Junior's double-haul. It's a thing of beauty.
Goin' back to Houston, do the hot dog dance. Goin' back to Houston, to get me some pants.

The sheepshead fish has human teeth, but it's OK because it won't give you a psychedelic crisis.

bring your own lampshade, somewhere there's a party...

Ramcatt

Post by Ramcatt » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:04 pm

Outcast wrote:He's got the far casting green line so he's probably throwing that shit like 120' without a double haul.
He's also got the rod in mouth pose going from about 3:00 in until the end.

and who knew Nemo was a stock broker?

dude
the orange is the distance line...
green is for stealth
"Ramcatt is the origninal cuntry fishing troubadour, and the youngest dirty old man to fish these waters"
- Al Goldstein (c.1973)