This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Bobwhite
All the late minute business has kept me from my regular rounds... but, here's this week's installment.

This story, and next week's follow-up, are for real... Ron was a real guy who taught me an awful lot about life.

A PROMISE KEPT

“As we grow old…the beauty steals inward.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson

When Ron arrived at the lodge one Saturday with twenty other fishermen, I thought he was a nice old guy, but there was something different about him. He traveled alone and preferred to fish by himself, which in itself was unusual, but there was more… something I couldn’t quite put my finger on. I don’t mean that Ron was odd, or different in any way. He was normal enough, friendly and out going, as lone fishermen at any lodge tend to be.

Ron was from Michigan and had fly fished all of his life. Like many older fishermen, especially from the northern states, he had an affinity for brook trout, and it didn't take him long to finger me for someone who'd love to hear him recount the days when a big square-tail wasn’t an oddity. Over dinner he discovered that I’d fished the Au Sable near Grayling, and he quizzed me. “Dya fish the Main Branch?”

“A little, but mostly the South.”

“Above or below The Smith’s Bridge?”

“Mostly below, out of Haven’s Camp, but sometimes we’d wander up into the Mason Tract.”

“Around the Chapel?”

“Yup.”

“How ‘bout the Middle Branch?”

“Above Frederic. Good Brookie water there.”

“But hard to fish.”

“’Cause of the cedar swamps,”

“Blow downs,”

“And sweepers.”

“Ya ‘betcha!” He concluded, with a big toothy grin. As far as Ron was concerned, we were now buddies, and that was just fine with me.

“I just love brook trout,” he continued during dessert. “That’s why I came to Alaska.”

“There aren’t any Brookies up here, old timer,” another fishermen at the table said, joining the conversation.

“Oh, I know that all right,” Ron, said, with a twinkle in his eyes, “But the Arctic Char and Dolly Varden might as well be first cousins.”

The painting that illustrates this short story is a watercolor titled, “One Last Look – Arctic Char”, one of the many beauties that Ron caught during his week at the lodge.
Arctic Char.jpg
Arctic Char.jpg (100.76 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
September is my favorite time of the year in Alaska; the cottonwood and birch trees become shimmering, golden curtains that frame cerulean waters. The tundra is aflame in a riot of purples, reds, and yellows. Mornings are cold and crisp, and the afternoons warm and gentle. There is a sense of bounty that is ripe with transition and urgent in it’s calling; a reminder that summer’s golden end is at hand and winter will soon follow.

Ron had picked just the right time for a journey to Alaska, particularly to fish for arctic char and Dolly Varden. The sockeye salmon were at the height of their spawning, and both the char and all the other resident fish would gorge themselves on their eggs. The char fed most voraciously of all, since they also would spawn themselves within the month. The mature fish were in prime condition, and the ivory colored edges of their fins seemed even brighter in contrast to their pumpkin-orange and bright red flanks.
Dolly_Varden.jpg
Dolly_Varden.jpg (92.88 KiB) Viewed 3458 times
I was on the dock at the end of Ron's first day of fishing, and stood in the long shadow of one of the Beavers, when he emerged from the last plane to return. “That’s the best gowlderned day of fishing anyone’s ever had!" He said, his face aglow, and a smile from ear to ear. He turned to his guide and gave him a big bear hug. “Thanks! I can’t thank you enough!”

Ron was half way to his cabin, moving slowly, head down, when his guide, Matt, called out to him. “See you at dinner, Mr. Brookie!”

Some nicknames are inspired on a divine level, and this was one of those. Mr. Brookie it was. “So,” I said, turning back to Matt, "Tell me about Mr. Brookie's day."

“Wow!” Matt said, shaking his head. “That river must have saved it up all summer for this one man; it was on fire! I’m exhausted from just releasing his fish. I can’t imagine what he feels like.”

“So how many?”

“I stopped counting.”

It wasn’t like Matt to stop counting, and that meant something special. “Well, I guess we’ll be sending a bunch of fishermen to the ‘Pak’ tomorrow.”

Ron’s second day was on the Agulawok, and it was a carbon copy of his first. After day three, the other fishermen at the lodge had decided that Ron was some sort of fly fishing deity; the Brookie Buddha from Michigan. Everyone asked me where he would fish next, and oh by the way, was there room for another guy? Ron handled his success and popularity with aplomb, if he even noticed. He was so exhausted by the time he made it up to the lodge for dinner (and everyone wanted to buy him a drink and pick his mind) that it was a minor miracle that he was up for breakfast the next morning. I kept waiting for him to ask about taking a day off to catch up on his rest, but it never happened. Ron was always the first guest up for coffee in the morning, often joining the guides in a game of cribbage, long before the other bleary-eyed fishermen shuffled in for breakfast.

We shared dinner most nights, but hadn’t had the opportunity to fish together, and the week would soon wind down, and be gone. As luck would have it, The Boss put us together on Friday for the grand finale. We’d be going back to the “Pak” and I knew that it’d be tough, if not impossible to improve upon his first day there with Matt.

Ron spent the morning casting rather casually for a fly fishing God. At one point, he stopped in mid cast and asked, “Can you imagine if all of these char and Dolly Varden had been square tails? It must have been like that in Michigan once."

His voice trailed off, and he looked thoughtful just as a big fish hit and pulled him back into the game. He landed the fish in just a few moments; a sure sign that he’d been at it all week. “Not bad for an old guy who hasn’t fished for almost ten years.” He said as he let the big rainbow slip through his fingers and back into the river.

“Ten years?” I asked. “I figured you to fish at least a couple of times a week, even more after retiring.”

“My wife got cancer,” he said quietly. “I took care of her for almost ten years before she went. There wasn’t any time for fishing.”

I didn’t know what to say.

“She made me promise that, when it was over… that I’d take some long fishing trips to places I’ve always dreamt of.” He set his rod down. “I didn’t come here alone,” he said.

It was in that instant that I realized what was different about Ron. Everyone else was on a holiday, a diversion from the pressures of their everyday lives. But, Ron hadn’t come to escape; he had come to recapture a part of his soul. He wasn’t running away from anything, he was searching for the rest of his life, and taking the memory of his wife with him.

“Let’s have lunch,” he said, looking away and reeling in.

Thanks for visiting,
Bob White

There’s a photograph of Ron over my writing desk to remind me about promises. It was taken in South America… but that’s another story. See you next week.
By cool manchu
:cool
By Outcast
Bobwhite wrote:See you next week.
Can't hardly wait Bob. :cool
By Truchero
A brilliant essay Bob, as always. Can hardly wait for next week's.

I deeply envy your talent.
By mark
Wow! Solid work, enjoyed the experience. Keep it coming.
By Gaper's Pimp
Good stuff, Bob. Really diggin the release paintings. Much better than wading through pissfights about tits and pie.

How many days of redfish would I need to pony up to get a commisioned painting of the Texican flats covered with waggers?
By Kylemc
great stuff!

Kyle
By Joshy25
Wow. Good shit Bob! :cool
Luau 2021

What weekend is this? Something came up.

Friday Cheer Through Pics

06-28-20-52300 copy.jpg

Forest Service cabins have been on the reservation[…]

2021 Smalljaw Swap

I'm sending in a piece of marabou on a toothpi[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine