This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Snapdad
"Suddenly you were gone, from all the lives you left your mark upon..."

I am saddened at this news. We never met in person, but it doesn't mean I didn't know him. We're all friends here.

You will be sorely missed, Ryan.
By Reef Runner
Read this earlier this week and still can't figure out what to say. I just hope that Outcast is at peace and his family is able to get through this difficult time. I was very saddened to have read this. It sucks to lose somebody like this that you only know over a message board so I cannot imagine how his family is dealing with this but it has been very uplifting to see the support around here.

-Reef
By Salmotrutta
I was just starting my vacation with my family when a friend called about his passing. Like everyone else who calls this place "our home" it hit me like a sledge hammer. I've been struggling about what to say. I'm saddened it should happen to one of us- this band of brothers.
He & I traded blows all Winter online, but we still made each other laugh allot & mutual friends who fished with us both have told me he was a stand up guy. I believe it to be so.
My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

My favorite book brought me back from the edge when I first read it years ago. It hit me deep in my heart, and within a couple weeks I was back home to start putting my life back together. Learning to fly fish was a big part of my personal healing. This place, and everyone who's been here has helped me to broaden my horizons.
I thought I'd share a few passages from my still frequently read book that seem to fit how I feel about this tragedy, but more beautifully spoken by the true author Norman Mclean.

A river though, has so many things to say that it is hard to know what it says to all of us. As we were packing our tackle and fish in the car, Paul repeated "Just give me three more years." I was surprised at the repetition, but later I realized that the river somewhere, sometime, must have told me, too, that he would receive no such gift. For, when the police sergeant early next May wakened me before daybreak, I rose and asked no questions.

Once my father asked me back some questions. "Do you think I could have helped him?" he asked.
Even if I had thought longer, I would have made the same answer.
"Do you think I could have helped him?" I answered. We stood there waiting in in deference to each other. How can a question be answered that asks a lifetime of questions?

"I've said I've told you all I know. If you push me far enough, all I really know is that he was a fine fisherman."
"You know more than that." My father said. "He was beautiful."
Last edited by Salmotrutta on Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
By speybait
Usually when I go out of town for a week there's been some ruckus on the Board that I don't even bother to try and find the origin post. Not worth it.
This is an entirely different thing that I wasn't prepared to see. So sad.
Ryan definitely made the Board a place I wanted to visit often. I enjoyed his stories and his blunt wit. I didn't know him personally but I'll miss his presence.
The postings in this thread about Ryan's life and personality are a real tribute to a man who was obviously appreciated more than he'll know.
There's a lot of guys on this Board and times are tough. Always makes you wonder who might need some help...and if you can help.
By troutsmack
Salmotrutta wrote:I was just starting my vacation with my family when a friend called about his passing. Like everyone else who calls this place "our home" it hit me like a sledge hammer. I've been struggling about what to say. I'm saddened it should happen to one of us- this band of brothers.
He & I traded blows all Winter online, but we still made each other laugh allot & mutual friends who fished with us both have told me he was a stand up guy. I believe it to be so.
My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

My favorite book brought me back from the edge when I first read it years ago. It hit me deep in my heart, and within a couple weeks I was back home to start putting my life back together. Learning to fly fish was a big part of my personal healing. This place, and everyone who's been here has helped me broaden to broaden my horizons.
I thought I'd share a few passages from my still frequently read book that seem to fit how I feel about this tragedy, but more beautifully spoken by the true author Norman Mclean.

A river though, has so many things to say that it is hard to know what it says to all of us. As we were packing our tackle and fish in the car, Paul repeated "Just give me three more years." I was surprised at the repetition, but later I realized that the river somewhere, sometime, must have told me, too, that he would receive no such gift. For, when the police sergeant early next May wakened me before daybreak, I rose and asked no questions.

"Once my father asked me back some questions. "Do you think I could have helped him?" he asked.
Even if I had thought longer, I would have made the same answer.
Do you think I could have helped him?" I answered. We stood there waiting in in deference to each other. How can a question be answered that asks a lifetime of questions?

"I've said I've told you all I know. If you push me far enough, all I really know is that he was a fine fisherman."
"You know more than that." My father said. "He was beautiful."
I know yall had your differences, you are a gentleman for posting this, these are very fitting words from a book/movie that we all relate to whether we admit it or not.
By No Idea
Well, like others,(even) after reflection for almost a week reading this from hotels I can offer nothing new to the collective sadness found with the passing of Ryan. My heart pours out for Sage. I trust at some point you'll read this Sage. There are no words to put down that will solve anything for you, but take heed of the offers made, actions may be of some aid for you albeit that may seem odd right now. I never knew your dad, aside from what I gleaned here through his photography, prose, and asshattery towards newbs.

I missed the chance to have Ryan smack me at the front door, I was here first. He'd have wailed on me I am certain. I am no fly dude, just one who spends as many hours outdoors as possible. I also tend to favor bourbon. I did you proud on Beale street this past Thursday Ryan. I won the beer chug and the shot chug contest for ya, and I was the oldest one competing at 37. I wouldn't have done that normally, but something came over me. The Knob Creek ran strong on Beale.

Sage,
I will think about you often, I'd gladly give you all my emotional strength if that was possible. You ever get a hankering to see Kentucky you just let me know. You just need someone to talk with do the same.

Wyatt
By Nemo
Like everyone else, this incident continues to slowly sink in, and I'm equally disturbed and confused by all of it.

I was planning on heading relatively straight home to Colorado from this Ohio trip, but I'm finding the open road rather therapeutic at this point, so I left Wednesday morning, and I suddenly find myself in Arkansas, having gone thoroughly the wrong direction.

I have (or had) a rather loose goal on this trip--anyone who has followed where I've been thus far could probably figure it out—but mostly I've just spent a lot of time thinking about Ryan.

And last night, just before reaching my next "goal", I came across a town that Outcast would totally appreciate. In honor of Ryan's humor, and one of his favorite drinks, I just had to take a shot of it. I'm not one to poke fun of anybody's community, so if you happen to be from this part of Missouri, I apologize in advance. But, seriously... for Outcast:
KnobLick.jpg
KnobLick.jpg (204.4 KiB) Viewed 850 times
By heather0073
Perfect...he would have loved that one!

:cool
H~Dillon, MT
By slavetotheflyrod
I'd have never believed that such a place really existed if you hadn't posted that. It must be paradise
By TailingLOOP
I have never posted on this board but Ryan tried to help me through the initiation but I am just too busy to join the fray. Ryan guided me last year on the Beaverhead and I just returned from Montana tonight. We had a blast on the river last year. He was supposed to be with our group of ten this past weekend when I found out what happened from another guide friend of his Sunday morning before our trip. He leaves behind many friends who have many questions. Please keep them in your thoughts as well as Ryan, many of them are struggling for answers. God Bless his joyous soul, his son and parents.

Merc
Attachments:
IMGP0660a.jpg
Typical Ryan!!
IMGP0660a.jpg (147.38 KiB) Viewed 717 times
By Oldog
T Loop
Good Avatard
By shunned
tailingloop,

you drop in and see us every time to choose. there's no one here who will give you any grief, my word.
this past week has been shithouse. God forbid what it's been like for you who knew him personally and best.

cheers,
mitch
whatcha tying?

1650B2D9-E969-4148-8EDA-D4CDD21E4D19.jpeg E3D3D7[…]

2021 Smalljaw Swap

I'm sending in a piece of marabou on a toothpick

in recent news: Poll: 38% of Americans would giv[…]

The return of Stolen Hours

] Feb 27, 2021 Gas $2.49 Temp 68 Wet wading in[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine