This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Lenny
"What is the average distance of a fly cast? How much does line weight and type have to do with this.

That asked how far can you cast using what line?"

Whatcha got on your local board?
By Mike Honcho
I'd like to start fly fishing, what kind of rod outfit can I get for @ $100?

I am gonna buy a new vise, what vise can I get for under $50?

and so on...
By slumpbuster
Here is a recent favorite...

"how do you know when is a good time to nymph and when isnt? i have been fly fishing for about 3 years and have only caught 2 fish nymphing, one i false hooked. i catch my share on dries, but you cant do that all day every day and expect to have success all the time. i have been trying the dry/dropper set up and have only caught fish on the dry. i must be doing something else. i usually tie on a bead head prince, or a copper john, or something like that. maybe i just dont know how to tell when a fish takes my nymph, but i set every time my indicator/dry fly moves irrugularly...... and tips?"
By Mr. Don
anyone have a solution for stinky waders? my wife who is very generous to let me fish 90% of my free time is starting to complain a little about how bad they smell. so any advice would be great!thanks
By slumpbuster
Sure, but I think the classic post is along the following lines....

"what is your preferance for fly line color do you just pick a color you can see or do you worry about spooking fish. i saw some "camo" flylines that were being pushed for panfish in the weeds, do you think it matters or are they just trying to catch more fishermen?"

The best part is that it produces an immense number of responses.
By Mike Honcho
slumpbuster wrote:Here is a recent favorite...

"how do you know when is a good time to nymph and when isnt? i have been fly fishing for about 3 years and have only caught 2 fish nymphing, one i false hooked. i catch my share on dries, but you cant do that all day every day and expect to have success all the time. i have been trying the dry/dropper set up and have only caught fish on the dry. i must be doing something else. i usually tie on a bead head prince, or a copper john, or something like that. maybe i just dont know how to tell when a fish takes my nymph, but i set every time my indicator/dry fly moves irrugularly...... and tips?"
Usually the same dude that will be belligerant about not payn money to a guide or gettin any "expert" help.
By CarpeTructa
One of the more recurring ones is when someone starts a "Your top 10 flies for..." and then names a location, or maybe it is dry flies, or nymphs, or to use with a dropper, recently I saw one that was top ten fall flies compared to top ten spring flies. Kee-riste man, just go fishing and pick your own friggin flies. Just because you have a trip planned to the Buttfuck River next week doesn't mean I'm gonna give you my list of the top ten flies I would use there; that is unless you don't mind if I visit your wife while you're away.
By Redchaser
Lot's of questions about what color fly for muddy water, how to make a spoon fly etc... Then there is the one guy that always chimes in and insist that his favorite fly is the absolute best fly for all fish in all conditions... he knows it is because he's come south and actually caught a redfish on it.
"when do you stop using beads and switch to flies?"

"Where can I get my miltary friend into some fish without hiking"

"Are people catching salmon in (place x)"

"Are there trout in (place y)"

"How to cure your salmon eggs"

"Whats a centerpin rod"

"How do I catch local stockers"

and so on...
By P-A
ak_powder_monkey wrote:"when do you stop using beads and switch to flies?"

"Where can I get my miltary friend into some fish without hiking"

"Are people catching salmon in (place x)"

"Are there trout in (place y)"

"How to cure your salmon eggs"

"Whats a centerpin rod"

"How do I catch local stockers"

and so on...
Do you hang out at the local geisha forum AK?

:cheer :cool
By jerome
had phone call at shop this morning, the guy got irate when i told him that it was not a good idea to take a drift boat or raft for that matter, put in at Harrop's Bridge and take out at what is left of teton dam. He had no map, no clue that there is class 5 whitewater,etc. down in the canyon below.
I do not respond to pms

Thanks for letting everyone know?

Luau 2020

Yeah, I am out. 58D95F98-0E03-45E5-A644-E74D695[…]

Happy fourth of July...

Earth has exceeded its load limit. Let the dumb d[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine