Typical Question on a local board

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
User avatar
Redchaser
Posts: 5806
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Lafayette, La
Contact:

Re: Typical Question on a local board

Post by Redchaser » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:29 am

Reading the local board this morning I was amused by the wonderkid that's been fly fishing for about 5 minutes that is now an expert, posting photos of perhaps the crappiest looking fly I've ever seen and going on to detail the hows and whys of the fly's "development", then posting an SBS of how to tie it even though nobody asked for it or even commented on his fly (this is all in a thread that another guy started about a fly he tied that was actually decent) the thought occurred to me that I really hope I wasn't that guy when I first started out.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

User avatar
fatman
Posts: 5071
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:17 pm
Location: where the deer and the antelope play

Re: Typical Question on a local board

Post by fatman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:06 pm

Redchaser wrote:Reading the local board this morning I was amused by the wonderkid that's been fly fishing for about 5 minutes that is now an expert, posting photos of perhaps the crappiest looking fly I've ever seen and going on to detail the hows and whys of the fly's "development", then posting an SBS of how to tie it even though nobody asked for it or even commented on his fly (this is all in a thread that another guy started about a fly he tied that was actually decent) the thought occurred to me that I really hope I wasn't that guy when I first started out.
I'll bet Mitch's shoe budget that the innerwebs wasn't around when you first started out.... :smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

User avatar
CarelessEthiopian
Posts: 2616
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:04 am
Location: land of milk and honey

Re: Typical Question on a local board

Post by CarelessEthiopian » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:40 pm

What's his instagram handle?
boy in long pants

User avatar
Redchaser
Posts: 5806
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Lafayette, La
Contact:

Re: Typical Question on a local board

Post by Redchaser » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:37 am

fatman wrote:
Redchaser wrote:Reading the local board this morning I was amused by the wonderkid that's been fly fishing for about 5 minutes that is now an expert, posting photos of perhaps the crappiest looking fly I've ever seen and going on to detail the hows and whys of the fly's "development", then posting an SBS of how to tie it even though nobody asked for it or even commented on his fly (this is all in a thread that another guy started about a fly he tied that was actually decent) the thought occurred to me that I really hope I wasn't that guy when I first started out.
I'll bet Mitch's shoe budget that the innerwebs wasn't around when you first started out.... :smile
The interweb was...but I don't recall there being many fishing chat rooms around.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

User avatar
Ruddy Duck
Posts: 664
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:11 pm
Location: SE Lowsyanna

Re: Typical Question on a local board

Post by Ruddy Duck » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:19 am

Redchaser wrote:
The interweb was...but I don't recall there being many fishing chat rooms around.
I'm calling bullshit old man.

User avatar
fatman
Posts: 5071
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:17 pm
Location: where the deer and the antelope play

Re: Typical Question on a local board

Post by fatman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:36 am

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Redchaser wrote:
The interweb was...but I don't recall there being many fishing chat rooms around.
I'm calling bullshit old man.
:smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

User avatar
SLSS
Posts: 6904
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Home
Contact:

Re: Typical Question on a local board

Post by SLSS » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:59 am

Redchaser wrote: The interweb was...
Newb. :coffee
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa


"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

User avatar
SageBrush
Posts: 1975
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Duffins Crick, Ontario

Re: Typical Question on a local board

Post by SageBrush » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:26 am

SLSS wrote:
Redchaser wrote: The interweb was...
Newb. :coffee

Ha....... :cool
nemo wrote: Guys, guys, please. I just got an e-mail from Mr. Ormsby, and it seems he was a bit offended that you didn't take time to read his novel, not to mention that you made fun of his Canadianess.

User avatar
Gremlin
Posts: 959
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:01 pm
Location: The West

Re: Typical Question on a local board

Post by Gremlin » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:08 pm

not fishing, but the stupidity amazes me... every year there are deaths (very painful ones) here from shit like this.

Hello and Happy

Sunday!

A friend of mine just ate a random white mushroom. They THINK it was all white. There photo forthcoming. Suggestions?
They are in Bonsall, CA.

Your suggestions will not be deemed as medical advise and ultimately it will be up to them to choice treatment.

Thank you

in advance.

The Drake, at it's best, gets us away from this regurgitated ration of shit that is everywhere you look in Flyfishing. VTNZ

User avatar
austrotard
Posts: 8918
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:24 am
Location: the austrocity exhibition
Contact:

Re: Typical Question on a local board

Post by austrotard » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:51 pm

she owes us $5.
49% of americans assume I give a shit about what they think.

User avatar
CarelessEthiopian
Posts: 2616
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:04 am
Location: land of milk and honey

Re: Typical Question on a local board

Post by CarelessEthiopian » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:13 am

Typical question:


Hey guys,

I'm planning on doing a little bikepacking weekend this summer via XXX from XXX down into the XXX. While I will be camping out and then hitting single track in the area, I'll also bring along my rod and reel to toss a few flies.

Now, I've never fished in this area and I'm not looking for GPS coordinates to your honey holes, just shoot off some areas in a very general sense of where to be. I like finding my own way and discovering spots on my own, but I just need to be pointed in the correct general direction... I.E - in town, north of town, south of town, etc.

Thanks in advance


But the first response is fucking awesome:


Pro tip: fish live in the river. I'd fish there.

I'm not too worried about giving out directions to the honey holes, the local flyshops will take take of that. If it is the weekend, just put your nose in the air and follow the scent of smug. Once you find the high dollar SUVs, flyshop receipts and bottled water blowing through the parking lot...you are close. Looks for the lawyers and accountants taking themselves way too seriously outfitted in the latest and greatest from Simms and your there.

Seriously, did you even look at a map? We've got one river flowing down the middle of the valley. Care to hazard a guess as to its name?
boy in long pants

User avatar
Redchaser
Posts: 5806
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:01 am
Location: Lafayette, La
Contact:

Re: Typical Question on a local board

Post by Redchaser » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:32 am

CarelessEthiopian wrote:Typical question:


Hey guys,

I'm planning on doing a little bikepacking weekend this summer via XXX from XXX down into the XXX. While I will be camping out and then hitting single track in the area, I'll also bring along my rod and reel to toss a few flies.

Now, I've never fished in this area and I'm not looking for GPS coordinates to your honey holes, just shoot off some areas in a very general sense of where to be. I like finding my own way and discovering spots on my own, but I just need to be pointed in the correct general direction... I.E - in town, north of town, south of town, etc.

Thanks in advance


But the first response is fucking awesome:


Pro tip: fish live in the river. I'd fish there.

I'm not too worried about giving out directions to the honey holes, the local flyshops will take take of that. If it is the weekend, just put your nose in the air and follow the scent of smug. Once you find the high dollar SUVs, flyshop receipts and bottled water blowing through the parking lot...you are close. Looks for the lawyers and accountants taking themselves way too seriously outfitted in the latest and greatest from Simms and your there.

Seriously, did you even look at a map? We've got one river flowing down the middle of the valley. Care to hazard a guess as to its name?
Priceless
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

Post Reply