Read Anything Good Lately?

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
DayTripper

Read Anything Good Lately?

Post by DayTripper » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:02 pm

I couldn't make the trip I wanted to this weekend, and fate showed it's sense of irony by dropping a copy of "Northwest of Normal" on my front door yesterday morning. Just finished, and really enjoyed it.

Another good read I came across last week was a story at Big Sky Journal's website by Dave Hughes called, "Widowmaker." Definitely check it out when you get a few :cool

http://www.bigskyjournal.com/articles/b ... maker.html

BigCliff

Re: Read Anything Good Lately?

Post by BigCliff » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:30 pm

I read some hilarious shit posted by some drunk on Halloween a while back. You might find it amusing.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

jerome

Post by jerome » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:32 pm

BigCliff wrote:I read some hilarious shit posted by some drunk on Halloween a while back. You might find it amusing.
x2

and have deciphered a few tramp stamps with close inspection adding something of my own.
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

BearsFan

Post by BearsFan » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:46 pm

Pretty much all I have been reading lately. Have been at it for over a year.
"I've been searching my whole life for a woman to feed me once a day and eat me once a day. My needs are simple." - Outcast

"Mostly I think about hookers and Tarpon fishing." - blumpkin

alteredstates

Post by alteredstates » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:00 pm

put it down, integrals are useless. now fractions, those muthafuckas get shit done!!!!!!

ditchdoc

Post by ditchdoc » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:00 pm

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

Articulated Trico

Post by Articulated Trico » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:06 pm

Just picked up "Bury Me Standing" Isabela Fonseca
"them books is wrong"

"The universe shaped exactly like the earth if you go straight long enough you will end up where you were"

"Opinions were like kittens always giving them away"

ditchdoc

Post by ditchdoc » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:08 pm

Heard of a recently discovered palimpsest, which, if true, proves that Archimedes invented calculus centuries before Newton and Liebnitz. Had it not been lost for those many centuries, where would science and mathematics be now?

ditchdoc

Post by ditchdoc » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Blood and Thunder by Hampton Sides

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarty a while back. Its a weirdly uplifting beating.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

Gaper's Pimp

Post by Gaper's Pimp » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:32 pm

Finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarty a while back. Its a weirdly uplifting beating.
Werd.

There were a couple of chapters where I wanted to chunk that book against the wall (baby roasting on a stick), but I'm glad I stuck with it. McCarthy is the man.

Reading a book right now by Denis Leary called "Why We Suck". So far it's been hilarious, depressing and dead-on true.
When they was no fish, we ate fowl. When they was no fowl, we ate crawdad. When they was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand.

slumpbuster

Post by slumpbuster » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:47 pm

BigCliff wrote:Finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarty a while back. Its a weirdly uplifting beating.
The last paragraph of that book is good. Used it on some personal statements for admissions...

“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not to be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”

-Cormac McCarthy “The Road”
"Landon Mayer, please hold my big brown trout..."
-TT

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
-Thomas Jefferson