Read Anything Good Lately?

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
ditchdoc

Re: Read Anything Good Lately?

Post by ditchdoc » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:47 pm

SLSS wrote:
ditchdoc wrote:Out of curiosity, for those who have read The Road, what is your opinion of what occurred to the world to cause the devastation? War, meteor impact, environmental disaster, what? The book never says, or I missed it completely.

Definitely had the impression that it was something brought about by man, which seems in keeping with McCarthy overall. That was a book that I hated til the last few pages, but couldn't put it down. Hated because of the constantly building despair, not because it was bad.

On a happier note- well, maybe more like McCarthy for kids- Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy is great. Probably 10 and up. My daughter tore through the Golden Compass when she was about 10, and couldn't wait for me to pick up the next two. I have to admit, I liked them as much as she did. Probably not the place to go if you think the church shouldn't be questioned.
I've read that Pullman series a couple of times. I would recommend them for adults too. And Sometimes a Great Notion is one of my all time favorites. Try to find the movie made of it, with Paul Newman, Henry Fonda, called Never Give an Inch. Pretty darned good.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.

Blicero

Post by Blicero » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:05 pm

I read "The Road" when my father was dying of cancer. In retrospect, it was a bad decision, but I recommend the book.

It appears in the upcoming movie, they have adapted the book to make the apocalypse the result of global warming, which is both fucking gay and completely unsurprising.

As far as reads, one of my all time faves is CivilWarLand in Bad Decline, by George Saunders. It's excellent.
"Tell your God to ready for blood"

BigCliff

Post by BigCliff » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:06 pm

Long Haired Dave wrote:but I'm about due for another re-read of 100 Years of Solitude.
I was supposed to read that for a class in college, but just couldn't bring myself to. (Boy, is that a long list) I sold it for beer money and wish I had kept it instead of the stack of crap I still have from "Peoples of Russia". I tried reading "Love...Cholera" recently and just couldn't plow through all the flowery verbiage. "Exaggerated realism" or some such folly I think they call it.

For a simple American-ical story, I think Lamour's Sackett series is pretty damn fine.
Buy better hooks and bourbon.

alteredstates

Post by alteredstates » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:20 pm

cerevisiaephilus wrote:I'm pretty sure that in The Road it was a nuclear thing. Wasn't there a flashback where he and his wife watch the mushroom clouds or some such thing?

I loved Blood Meridian as well.

I just read Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson in September. It was good, but a bit different from his earlier stuff, not as immediately satisfying.

Then I read Broom of the System by David Foster Wallace which was pompous and full of pseudo philosophy which bothers me.

In keeping with the pompous pseudo philosopher trend, now I'm struggling through Gravity's Rainbow. I might not finish it.
yea, i just passed that part. unless there is another reference later in the book. he talks something about a string of light striking the earth or something. could be a missile, could be a meteor, at least that is what i thought i read.

that being said, other good reads i have done recently, "master and margarita" if your into russian literature, "we" if your into the dystopian thing, and "merles door" if you love your dog as much or more than your wife

CarpeTructa

Post by CarpeTructa » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:33 pm

Woolybug25 wrote:I have no idea what people see in Cormac's writings. The Road is an awful book, and if it was written by someone else, no one would even pick it up. People read his stuff so they can say they read it. :vomit

Just re-read On The Road by Jack Kerouac, timeless classic.
For a real road story, read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson (skip the film). It helps if you do now or ever have done a lot of drugs.

Outdoors related: I recently finished The Last Season by Eric Blehm. It's about the extremely experienced backcountry ranger Randy Morgenson who disappeared in Sequoia National Park. Some of it was excerpted in Outside magazine a few years back, the book has more complete and up-to-date information. A very good read and especially interesting for those who venture into the backcountry.
Somebody else is going to have to watch the door for me now. Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. Outcast (RIP)

alteredstates

Post by alteredstates » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:38 pm

CarpeTructa wrote:
Woolybug25 wrote:I have no idea what people see in Cormac's writings. The Road is an awful book, and if it was written by someone else, no one would even pick it up. People read his stuff so they can say they read it. :vomit

Just re-read On The Road by Jack Kerouac, timeless classic.
For a real road story, read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson (skip the film). It helps if you do now or ever have done a lot of drugs.

Outdoors related: I recently finished The Last Season by Eric Blehm. It's about the extremely experienced backcountry ranger Randy Morgenson who disappeared in Sequoia National Park. Some of it was excerpted in Outside magazine a few years back, the book has more complete and up-to-date information. A very good read and especially interesting for those who venture into the backcountry.
how was "the last season," i remember that article in the magazine and was really interested. a great story. i wanted to get the book but must of got stoned or went fishing and forgot.

bender

Post by bender » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:40 pm

SLSS wrote:
bender wrote:I bought "The Road" a while back and haven't got around to reading it yet,looks like it just went to the top of my to read list :cool
Bender, only if you're feeling ok about the job situation. It is a heavy-duty read (a great one), so much so I think it could put a person in the tank if you were leaning that way already. Especially for a father. Might want to look into some of his lighter fare, Blood Meridian. Every body dies in that one too. Actually my favorite McCarthy.
All is good mate,the only black dog around here is the neighbors lab that shits on my front lawn :cool
Be like a dog,if ya can't eat it or fuck it,piss on it and move on.

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:54 pm

bender wrote:
SLSS wrote:
bender wrote:I bought "The Road" a while back and haven't got around to reading it yet,looks like it just went to the top of my to read list :cool
Bender, only if you're feeling ok about the job situation. It is a heavy-duty read (a great one), so much so I think it could put a person in the tank if you were leaning that way already. Especially for a father. Might want to look into some of his lighter fare, Blood Meridian. Every body dies in that one too. Actually my favorite McCarthy.
All is good mate,the only black dog around here is the neighbors lab that shits on my front lawn :cool
Wait.......I'm confused....do you live next door to me?
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

Mr. Don

Post by Mr. Don » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:21 pm

Give James Ellroy a read. American Tabloid would be a good place to start. :Roll Eyes
"I'm a wed-hot sportsman after wild game." E. Fudd

Time Flies

Post by Time Flies » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:56 pm

The thread inspired me to order up four books tonight. McGuane's "Upstream", Harrison's "Off to the Side", "A Good Day to Die", and "Legends of the Fall" are headed my way. I order stuff and let my wife give it to me for Christmas.

I'll add "Hemingway on Fishing" to the suggestion list. And for non-fishing, Tom Wolfe..."A Man in Full" or "Bonfire of the Vanities".

I just finished reading Matthieson's "The Snow Leopard". It was well-written and has some interesting Buddhist points of view, but it was pretty slow.

If you like climbing/hiking, "Epic" edited by Clint Willis is pretty killer. Highly recommended... "Endurance" about Shackleton's exploration was great, too.

Nathaniel Philbrick's "Heart of the Sea" about the whaleship Essex is a good read. And "Undaunted Courage" is a classic.

If you've lost your job and are feeling shitty about things, try "The Cliff Walk". It'll set your mind straight.

"The Road" was OK. "No Country for Old Men" was better.

Big Cliff--I'm struggling with "Love/Cholera", too, right now. I'm thinking about giving up on it.
Moving waters are perpetually in the present tense. -Jim Harrison

Salty

Post by Salty » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:59 pm

jerome wrote: Blood Meridian has to be one of the most brutal books I have read. Some of the historical similarities and comparisons to what went on there back then are down right scary. Love McCarthy, Mcguane, Kerorac... etc.. McCarthy being my fav. non fishing writers, I hate horror movies but love dark literature.
Jerome

You'd probably be interested in checking out some of McCarthy's sources. The Glanton Gang did hunt scalps for both the governments of Sonora and Chihuahua. Here's a link from UT to get started

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/onli ... /fgl2.html

"GLANTON, JOHN JOEL (1819-1850). John Joel Glanton, soldier of fortune, outlaw, and notorious bounty-hunter and murderer, was born in Edgefield County, South Carolina, in 1819. According to reports he was an outlaw in Tennessee before his arrival in Texas. In 1835 he was living with his parents at Gonzales, Texas. His fiancée may have been killed by Lipan Apaches that year. On October 2 he joined the movement to San Antonio to dislodge Gen. Martín Perfecto de Cos. Glanton was a free scout for the army under Col. James W. Fannin, Jr., and allegedly a Texas Ranger captain at sixteen. He narrowly missed the Goliad Massacre. According to camp gossip, President Sam Houston banished Glanton from Texas for reasons unknown, though apparently the order was never enforced. After the Texas Revolution Glanton joined the ranger company of Capt. John C. Hays in protecting San Antonio. He is said to have gone to East Texas during the Regulator-Moderator War. Apparently Glanton supported neither faction in the dispute, but he allegedly wounded or killed the best fighter on each side. Local residents, objecting to his actions, reportedly considered lynching him."

There's way more on that link. Also check out Samule Chamberlain's "My Confession", which details his time riding with the Glanton Gang, including its second in command, one Judge Holden. Also, there is the deposition given by William Carr to the Alcade of Los Angeles, witnessed by Marcus Webster, concerning the massacre of the Glanton Gang by Yuma indians on the Colorado River.
Ryan

http://busterwantstofish.com

"a complete lack on intellectual curiosity, and a sense of humor that make beavis and butthead look like NPR commentators" Fyshnutz

jerome

Post by jerome » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:36 pm

Salty wrote:
jerome wrote: Blood Meridian has to be one of the most brutal books I have read. Some of the historical similarities and comparisons to what went on there back then are down right scary. Love McCarthy, Mcguane, Kerorac... etc.. McCarthy being my fav. non fishing writers, I hate horror movies but love dark literature.
Jerome

You'd probably be interested in checking out some of McCarthy's sources. The Glanton Gang did hunt scalps for both the governments of Sonora and Chihuahua. Here's a link from UT to get started

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/onli ... /fgl2.html

"GLANTON, JOHN JOEL (1819-1850). John Joel Glanton, soldier of fortune, outlaw, and notorious bounty-hunter and murderer, was born in Edgefield County, South Carolina, in 1819. According to reports he was an outlaw in Tennessee before his arrival in Texas. In 1835 he was living with his parents at Gonzales, Texas. His fiancée may have been killed by Lipan Apaches that year. On October 2 he joined the movement to San Antonio to dislodge Gen. Martín Perfecto de Cos. Glanton was a free scout for the army under Col. James W. Fannin, Jr., and allegedly a Texas Ranger captain at sixteen. He narrowly missed the Goliad Massacre. According to camp gossip, President Sam Houston banished Glanton from Texas for reasons unknown, though apparently the order was never enforced. After the Texas Revolution Glanton joined the ranger company of Capt. John C. Hays in protecting San Antonio. He is said to have gone to East Texas during the Regulator-Moderator War. Apparently Glanton supported neither faction in the dispute, but he allegedly wounded or killed the best fighter on each side. Local residents, objecting to his actions, reportedly considered lynching him."

There's way more on that link. Also check out Samule Chamberlain's "My Confession", which details his time riding with the Glanton Gang, including its second in command, one Judge Holden. Also, there is the deposition given by William Carr to the Alcade of Los Angeles, witnessed by Marcus Webster, concerning the massacre of the Glanton Gang by Yuma indians on the Colorado River.
Thanks for the link. I think you were the one that got me reading up on Glanton in the past. He was the main one i was talking about.
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax