Read Anything Good Lately?

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Salty

Re: Read Anything Good Lately?

Post by Salty » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Cool man; If you're interested, I should be able to scan a copy of that deposition tomorrow. Interesting reading
Ryan

http://busterwantstofish.com

"a complete lack on intellectual curiosity, and a sense of humor that make beavis and butthead look like NPR commentators" Fyshnutz

jerome

Post by jerome » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:51 pm

Salty wrote:Cool man; If you're interested, I should be able to scan a copy of that deposition tomorrow. Interesting reading
cool, i need something cool to read.
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

jerms

Post by jerms » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:59 pm

I just bought four of the books talked about in this thread... a total impulse purchase... :wink
A long long slow walk in the spartina gives you time to think big thoughts and put your mind back into order.

cerevisiaephilus

Post by cerevisiaephilus » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:18 pm

I can't believe George Saunders was mentioned on the Drake. I think Nemo mentioned the New Yorker once, maybe in the magazine. Blowing my fucking mind.

Back Eddy

Post by Back Eddy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:22 pm

Gaper's Pimp wrote:
nuclearity
Cliff, you sure talk pretty. Are you a real Texican or a transplant?
Pimp - As a self-described reformed Texican - with plenty of friends and family back home - I have to say you crack me the fuck up. This is typical humor from my people, this could have been said by several of my old friends. I'd be happy to buy you a Shiner to hear what else you got to say.

Rhyacophila

Post by Rhyacophila » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:25 pm

alteredstates wrote:...i could read 1984 for the rest of my life.
1984 IS the rest of your life

I don't read
I guess being fat and ugly isn't enough for the powder monkey - hes got to be an asshole too. (RvW)

Back Eddy

Post by Back Eddy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:33 pm

Late arrival to this thread, but I do have an opinion:

One of the great American authors, overlooked by many - including this thread. A great author for people like me (and maybe you) - because I have a few beers/bourbons before bed time and reading time. Light, easy reading, but not frivolous. Meaningful prose, but fun to read and funny - and extremely profound at times.

Kurt Vonnegut.

Many titles to read, but I enjoyed (among others):

Bluebeard
Cat's Cradle
Galapagos

:cool

jerome

Post by jerome » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:32 pm

the late, great Lewis Grizzard deserves mention also. Talk about funny.
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

fishsnoop

Post by fishsnoop » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:34 pm

I almost fucked up! I thought this thread said rode anything lately. I almost posted pictures! Fuckin a, you guys read way too much, especially if you are over 30 ride somethin would ya.
I don't know dick about dick, dick!

highstream

Post by highstream » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:52 pm

HAHAHAHAHA, Jerome is becoming a dirty mountain hippie. Come home to the south so you can remember what life is all about.

In all seriousness, holler when you get back I owe you a fishing trip. :cool
"I suppose you're swilling 400 proof White lightning and smoking hand rolled poison ivy leaves while you fish? tough guy. I was smoking Marlboro Reds back when you were still shitting in your carseat."--Lenny

CarpeTructa

Post by CarpeTructa » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:23 am

Back Eddy wrote:One of the great American authors, overlooked by many - including this thread. A great author for people like me (and maybe you) - because I have a few beers/bourbons before bed time and reading time. Light, easy reading, but not frivolous. Meaningful prose, but fun to read and funny - and extremely profound at times.

Kurt Vonnegut.

Many titles to read, but I enjoyed (among others):

Bluebeard
Cat's Cradle
Galapagos
I would put A Man Without a Country at the top of that list of Vonnegut's works. However, I thought this thread was about if one has read anything good lately, not a list of what one thinks are the great authors that need to be read. If that's going to be the case...
Somebody else is going to have to watch the door for me now. Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. Outcast (RIP)

ditchdoc

Post by ditchdoc » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:40 am

It did elevate farther than "lately." But if you're a reader, you will appreciate new titles.

Kurt Vonnegut is the modern Samuel Clemens. Imho.
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is forever.