This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By slumpbuster
If you read freakonomics the new superfreakonomics was pretty good. Not as good as the original but still entertaining.
By foureyedgeek
Bump.

Just finished up A Good Life Wasted enjoyed it well enough.

Now its on to some Ted Leeson. I got Inventing Montana for Christmas and The Habit of Rivers on request through inter (or is it intra?)-library loan. I've always enjoyed what he's written for the mag so I'm interested to see how it goes with longer format.
By FlyFishNut
Read that Michael Crighton book about Pirates... Pirate Lattitudes I think... A quick read and entertaining. Different from all of his other stuff.

Started Edgard Sawtelle last night.
By McH
FlyFishNut wrote:Read that Michael Crighton book about Pirates... Pirate Lattitudes I think... A quick read and entertaining. Different from all of his other stuff.
X2, one of my better xmas presents.
By RFA
I just read "Columbine" by David Cullen (2009). Very interesting read - it delves deeply into the history and events that unfolded that day. A very powerful read that dispells a lot of the misinformation surrounding that incident. Kind of shocking, really - the mistakes the police made and then tried to cover up, the mentality of both killers, the socio/psychopath and the follower....really powerful stuff.
By DayTripper
Just finished Black River Dreams by Maximilian Werner. I knew I was reading something good after I wanted to loan it to friends when I was still only halfway through the preface. Some really good essays in there.
By MEXICO RETURNS
by ditchdoc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:29 pm

iSniper by Stephen Hunter
Oh shit...What did Bobby Lee Swagger do now???...

Next thing you know, he's going to be working with Mitch Rapp...
By Lurgee
Belly Up wrote:Image

real solid
x2....one long metaphor

I know this was just made into a movie but if you are looking for something that will make you laugh out of your nose beginning with the first paragraph check out "Youth in Revolt" by C.D. Payne. I picked this up years and years ago and it is without question the funniest thing I have ever read.
By PGflyfisher
Jim Harrison - In Search of Small Gods. Just picked up a copy of his newest collection of novellas/short stories The Farmers Daughter.

If yer interested you can check out Harrison reading some of his poems from In Search of Small Gods here at the News Hour -http://www.pbs.org/newshour/indepth_cov ... rison.html
By Willi
Lurgee wrote: On mindless but fun American fiction---check out the Joe Pickett series from CJ Box. He's an author out of Wyoming who has written a rather entertaining series about a bumbling game warden who always happens to find himself in the midst of a natural resource controversy/murder. Usually involves some fly fishing and hunting. Very fun and fast to read.
On your rec, I downloaded a couple of his books to my MP3 player and your review is right on. Easy listening, so I can listen while doing chores. I like that the stories take place in areas I know.

Willi
By BigCliff
Willi wrote:
Lurgee wrote: On mindless but fun American fiction---check out the Joe Pickett series from CJ Box. He's an author out of Wyoming who has written a rather entertaining series about a bumbling game warden who always happens to find himself in the midst of a natural resource controversy/murder. Usually involves some fly fishing and hunting. Very fun and fast to read.
On your rec, I downloaded a couple of his books to my MP3 player and your review is right on. Easy listening, so I can listen while doing chores. I like that the stories take place in areas I know.

Willi
Those do sound appealing.

Currently reading "Great Powers" by Thomas PM Barnett, and planning on hitting von Clausewitz next. Matt LaBash's "Fly Fishing with Darth Vader" after that.

I struggle to come up the severity of disappo[…]

Another great time. This year brought redfish to […]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Muddled HedgeHog Kate https://live.staticfli[…]

LA Marsh......TR

Marry me? Disclaimer: I'm just in it for the f[…]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine