Garspace

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
thalweg

Garspace

Post by thalweg » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:23 am

Anybody else fish for these prehistoric bastards? Put em up!
Yesterday...
"only two things smell like fish... and one of them is fish." -grandpa

"Please take a brief moment to answer this question as the ferry approaches the shore.
Do you have the coin to pay for your passage, or the courage to take up the oar?" -the sword

"Dreams are free motherfucker!" -d boon

West Chester

Re: Garspace

Post by West Chester » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:23 am

Ah love you long time

Last edited by West Chester on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
If said posting of nude women includes her holding fish AND a large set of antlers (Non-photoshopped), then it can stay. Otherwise, No nudity on the Drake board. Skimpy? OK. Side-boob? Approved. -nemo

thalweg

Post by thalweg » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:28 am

My old man hates that lid.

"Please take a brief moment to answer this question as the ferry approaches the shore.
Do you have the coin to pay for your passage, or the courage to take up the oar?" -the sword

Smithhammer

Post by Smithhammer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:28 am

Haven't fished for them (yet), but I love knowing that there is a "Garspace" thread.
"I expect more from the man who gave us all boobies and pie..." - epon

Buster Wants to Fish

Mouthful of Feathers

DayTripper

Post by DayTripper » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:31 am

I tried and failed. Had two hits on big smallie streamers- didn't know there were gonna be a bunch of gar in that stream- and can't wait to target them specifically next time I'm back in that area. Any tips on catching these bastards?

thalweg

Post by thalweg » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:35 am

Patience. Lots of patience.
Feeding them is the closest thing I have found to tarpon yet, and as soon as you give em the wood they go airborne. :cheer

JoshO

Post by JoshO » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:49 am

Smithhammer wrote:Haven't fished for them (yet), but I love knowing that there is a "Garspace" thread.
Echo that! Just think about how many naysayers were converted via the Carpspace thread...

Nice work T. I've got to get me one of those hats.
Fish, for sport only, not for meat. Fish meat is practically vegetable. - Ron Swanson

Horn_Identity

Post by Horn_Identity » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:50 am

Nice catch Thalweg, and I do like the lid and the whole ensemble. I try to go after them gar whenever I'm down south, hooked up many but landed few, tail walking SOBs. :cool

Old pic of a small gar, caught with a streamer...

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

I've caught a bunch of gar on the fly over the years, usually out of boredome when my target species isn't co-operating, I'll toss at a gar. Had one eat my fly yesterday while redfishing, but I did a trout set and yanked it away from him...
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:10 am

so far i haven't managed to land one. i came close a month or so back but totally chickened out when it came to tailing it. like hooking a boa constrictor. i was pretty much happy to have it get off at that point. their jumps are plain weird, they just swim vertically right out of the water and into the air, still swimming like a snake.

it looks like you got that one out of a small trout stream?

Gremlin

Post by Gremlin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:18 am

Thalweg,

was that a "rope" fly? (one of the flies where the material gets tangled up in their teeth, rather than hooking them).

I used to catch them on gear. We used to target them on floating Rapalas, often sight fishing to them. It was fun, but hooking them was really difficult.

G
The Drake, at it's best, gets us away from this regurgitated ration of shit that is everywhere you look in Flyfishing. VTNZ

blue ridge angler

Post by blue ridge angler » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:22 am

I see good things in this threads future...

"When you gotta pull a head off a body to be humane, then the plan was flawed." - befuddled

"FTG!" - Everyone

"Is this site related to the beautiful Magazine by the same name?" - Harold Ray