redfish questions (ghey I know)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Fishwater

Re: redfish questions (ghey I know)

Post by Fishwater » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:19 am

pocket water wrote: Whatsup Fishwater!
Trying to figure out who left the fucking door open.
The famous are rarely relevant, the relevant rarely famous.

deerfly

Post by deerfly » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:26 am

while its hard to argue with the performance of real bait, it'd probably be just as easy to soak your flies in Gulp juice or give them a squirt or two of LunkerSauce. :smile

Seriously tho, looks like the gang covered it pretty well here, me, I would tend to agree with gaper and others that suggested dropping the fly as close to their field of view as possible. By your description it sounds like they are trying to extract fiddler crabs from their holes or something and need to see or feel the presence of your fly to trigger the strike.

I've caught a shit ton of red's on top water too. Hardly anything more exciting than watching that head come up out of the water to pounce down on a slider or popper. They usually miss more than they get, but it's damn exciting regardless.
porcupines are normally peaceful creatures, but Dog saw fit to give them quills

Tailer

Post by Tailer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:47 pm

beavertail poler wrote:Here is another thing I got by reading your post. Get to the flat sooner. Once the water hits 2' you can't track the fish nearly as well. Just over the ankle to the bottom of the kneecap. Anymore and have a beer and wait for the drop.

I like Madmikes Coppercrab, but I did 2 modifications. I use the .016 Malin wire dupree uses in his spoonflies for a weed guard. I know it doesn't bother them. I also splurge for tungston eyes so my fly gets down fast but still lands softly. Best shots are crossers. Cast 5' past and 5' in front. The fish will change his line usually and this gives you a bit of working room. Try to have the fly in front of the fish and then just a LITTLE twitch.

Oh, and I use 20lb fluro and fight the hell out of the fish. The H2o is over 92 on the flats right now and I want to kick there but fast and get them back about their business. 20 is fine in the grass. On low I like to go to 16
BTP is on it. Your getting there a little too late (or too early, depending on how you look at it). I prefer to get on the flat while the water is down so that I can watch them come up. This gives me a good idea of how many fish are on the flat and which direction they are working in. I usually try and hit their head with the fly to start off, if that doesn't work I back off and lead them a little. Most of the time they like it in close. 20 lb is fine, I use 16 or 20, depending on the wind and the thickness of the grass. I've rarely seen reds that were leader shy in anything but gin clear water.

Keep at it, its addicting once you stick one.
if you break into my car, I'll go knock a granny on the head - 2Fish

lordbud7

Post by lordbud7 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:37 pm

Personally i like to use the Oscar Meyer cheapo red hot dogs for redfish. Once you get the casting technique down where they won't fly off your in business!!

nympho

Post by nympho » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:34 pm

Two idiots crash the gate on the same night and don't get jumped. The Drake has just officially jumped the shark.

But then, the old school knew that 2 years ago
"Fucksakes. Nemo- tell the green ween to leave those tits up for a spell"...Salmotrutta

cajunhopper

Post by cajunhopper » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:52 pm

nympho wrote:Two idiots crash the gate on the same night and don't get jumped. The Drake has just officially jumped the shark.

You guys can't even come close to the Redfishing in SE LA, ya'll need to get a life, and put the flyrod down. Flys are for dipshit yankees catching 10" brook trout.

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:12 am

cajunhopper wrote:
nympho wrote:Two idiots crash the gate on the same night and don't get jumped. The Drake has just officially jumped the shark.

You guys can't even come close to the Redfishing in SE LA, ya'll need to get a life, and put the flyrod down. Flys are for dipshit yankees catching 10" brook trout.
On behalf of the entire state of Louisiana, i'd like to apologize for this asshat Where's another Katrina when you need one?
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

lordbud7

Post by lordbud7 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:17 am

Whats funny is they tried to bash us yet i could put a woman on them that could out FLYFISH ANYONE on this board.... (Shes also got numerous IGFA records!)not to mention my 9 yr old could outfish them with a regular rod and reel

lordbud7

Post by lordbud7 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:20 am

Wonder how many of you bad ass fly fisherman have any IGFA records?

fumerole

Post by fumerole » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:28 am

lordbud7 wrote:Whats funny is they tried to bash us yet i could put a woman on them that could out FLYFISH ANYONE on this board.... (Shes also got numerous IGFA records!)not to mention my 9 yr old could outfish them with a regular rod and reel

Here's a hint, nobody gives a fuck. Image
Are you married? Because i find when you're married, there's always someone there to confirm the fact that yes, you have indeed, failed
~tim_s

flyfisheraa573

Post by flyfisheraa573 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:33 am

lordbud7 wrote:Whats funny is they tried to bash us yet i could put a woman on them that could out FLYFISH ANYONE on this board.... (Shes also got numerous IGFA records!)not to mention my 9 yr old could outfish them with a regular rod and reel
Man...no offense here...better yet, offense meant...I don't know you or Bird...and to be honest I don't care about the B & P that you do or don't post....but what I do care is an inbred swamp rat coming here and running his/her mouth about something they don't know dick shit about. You may be a great fisherman....hell, you could be Flip Pallot, or Lefty for all I care....regardless of your name...you're still a dick....

Who really gives a shit about IGFA records? and how many you or your friend holds? In my personal opinion when you get to touting records and statistics, you've gotten too far away from the whole reason that you should be doing, and why most of us do it in the first place.

You want to condemn those who bash your dumbass...yet, you and your buddy Bird are the ones that came looking for the fight....so who's the cum sock? are you really wanting to pick a fight over an internet message board?

Furthermore, I don't give a rat's ass (or in your case a coon's ass) if you fish hardware or fly...but be careful where you throw you shit, you stupid fucking monkey (I say that not as a racist term, but as a by definition term...you are a monkey that should be locked in a zoo, behind a cage eating banana's and making an ass out of yourself, so all the visitors can point their fingers and laugh at your dumb ass) So, go back to your hole...you give people a bad reputation...not a group of people, the human race as a whole

Oh, and Ron...no offenses meant to or about the quality swamp rats and coon asses that come on here...them I like...and no need to apologize for this guy
"Sweet Jesus. I'd rather be caught hammering my jojo in the confessional." - Ajax

lordbud7

Post by lordbud7 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:41 am

This all started when one of your little cockgoblins came over to our board and posted a picture of one of our own and made some rude comments. The person in question was actually just giving advice on this board about redfish. He said nothing disrespectful, derogatory or in any way that it could've been taking offensively. So you might need to get your little gimp in check first there buddy.
And for the record(no pun intended) the person in question has the IGFA records for Redfish, Flounder, Snapper, Drum and several others.