This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Transylwader
Damnit Heero, where you be finding Croatia lookin watta up in heah?
Holee shiznit, that redefines gin clear, more like everclear! :cool
By CarpeTructa
[report]So, California has this heritage trout program to bring attention to wild, native trout, protect and restore their habitats and recommend new waters to be designated as wild trout fisheries. To qualify for the challenge six of the trout have to be caught in their historic drainages. No transplants, no matter how old, qualify. If you catch and document six of these rare fish you get a nifty certificate featuring artwork from Joseph Tomelleri.

I’ve caught some of these trout, but three of the hardest fish to track down are called redband trout. They live in a very few miles of stream and are hard to get to. I’ve wanted to complete the challenge for a while now, so about 4-5 years ago I got in touch with a friend of mine who has done the challenge if he had any advice for me. Sure, he said, but you should call me next year if/when the drought is over because these fish live in really small streams and even then in only a few total miles of stream, so it would be best not to stress them out in this drought year. So finally, this year, after five years of drought we got an average year in the central Sierra and about 120% of average in the northern area. So, I give “Bob” a call and ask what he thinks. He thinks it might be a good idea to check it out. Plans are made, a weekend is selected, routes chosen and a silk-lined blindfold chosen for me to wear on the way to these top secret waters.

We are meeting up in northern CA, so I get up early (ish) and get started with the drive from Mammoth Lakes. Eager with anticipation I find just a half a mile down the road is a sign that says “Road closed at Lee Vining due to wildfire.” Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuckk – you’ve got to be kidding me! What am I going to do now? Wait? Cut through Yosemite and add a couple of hours to the trip? I decide to check it out and see what happens.
Fire01.jpg
Fire01.jpg (96.52 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Fire04.jpg
Fire04.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
I left the blurry picture in because it is representative of the mess the area is in. CalFire trucks are everywhere, as are strong, young men, suited up in fire suits and weighted down with gear, many starting up the steep hillside under the hot, summer sun with temperatures approaching 100 already. The work these firefighters do is amazing and I can’t stop leaning out of the window and taking pictures of the fire and the helicopters attempting to douse it. Amazingly, we are let through and a long line of cars starts down the road with the fire burning up the hillside mere feet away.
Fire05.jpg
Fire05.jpg (68.01 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Fire08.jpg
Fire08.jpg (65.86 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Fire09.jpg
Fire09.jpg (163.66 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
The drive north is pleasant – it has been far too long since I have been near the Mount Lassen volcano. I must have been lost in reverie because I fail to take any pictures. Later in the day I cross over the mountains and the Mount Shasta volcano comes into view. Again no pictures, but I was probably in reverie over the cold beer to come to think about stopping. Dinner at a bbq joint then a trip to the local brewery (Fall River) top off the evening. The Widowmaker Double IPA is delicious – even more so than the better known Hexagenia single IPA.

The next morning I am sworn to secrecy, then bound and trussed, blindfolded and thrown into the back of Bob’s truck. I do manage to wriggle free a bit and catch glimpses of the two volcanoes as we travel along, but it is not until we arrive at the stream, the tiny stream, where these endangered fish live, that I am freed from captivity. First up is the McCloud River redband which we are hunting in a small stream called John Wayne Creek. At least, some people call it that. Well, okay, just me, but that’s because I don’t know where we are. The fishing is slow to start and I begin to worry if this hunt for the three varieties of redband trout is going to fail on the first try. But finally, after much thrashing of brush, climbing over of rocks and logs and fallen trees, after almost giving up hope…
IMGP2208.jpg
IMGP2208.jpg (147.06 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
According to Bob and his son Chris based on previous excursions the water is low and the fish are scarce. Nevertheless, one down, two to go. We start the long drive north to set up camp and (hopefully) get the second variety – the Goose Lake redband. Back in the bed of the truck, I manage to work an arm free to snap this shot of the route. Ok, so we are somewhere between these two volcanos, and that’s all the hotspotting you’ll get out of me.
IMGP2221.jpg
IMGP2221.jpg (101.09 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
We arrive, throw together our tents and our gear and head out where we find that again fishing is slow. We move around to different spots – I begin to despair – then I miss a couple of hits – then it happens. I get my only Goose Lake redband of the trip.
IMGP2229.jpg
IMGP2229.jpg (135.07 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
When they get larger like this (larger meaning over 6 inches – it’s a relative thing) they lose the red band. But this high up in the drainage that’s all there is, so it’s two for two. Steep banks, thick brush and overall limited accessibility make it tough fishing here. I wonder how many fish this guy has eaten?
IMGP2230.jpg
IMGP2230.jpg (177.68 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Hot, sweaty and tired, yet happy to have gotten at least one fish, I retreat to the car to watch Bob and Chris as they fish.
IMGP2234.jpg
IMGP2234.jpg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Did I mention that I had some cold beers in the car? After that refreshing pause I give it another go, but still no luck. The little guys hit my fly several more times, but fail to get it in their mouths (that’s my story and I’m sticking to it). Meanwhile, Chris snags the biggest redband and overall biggest fish of the trip.
IMGP2235.jpg
IMGP2235.jpg (223.67 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
IMGP2240.jpg
IMGP2240.jpg (170.74 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Time for another beer.
IMGP2242.jpg
IMGP2242.jpg (66.3 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
[/report]
By CarpeTructa
[report]Back in camp we discuss the day and plans for the morrow. We will again be driving north, this time to within a half mile of the OR border to the smallest stream yet for the rarest of the rare – the Warner Lakes redband trout. I’m nervous and anxious to complete the threefer and sleep restlessly, getting awoken first at 3 AM as the bright half moon comes over the ridge and shines in my tent, then again as the day brightens at 5:30 AM. Who the hell knew that it was daylight at 5:30 AM? Not me, that’s for sure. But I get up anyway, making my coffee while enjoying this rare time of day for me with the sounds of the birds and the snores of my hosts as a backdrop.

Driving away, we stop much lower on the river to see what we can find, but no luck there either – other than some pretty country that is.
IMGP2248.jpg
IMGP2248.jpg (135.38 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
IMGP2255.jpg
IMGP2255.jpg (131.41 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
The remnants of Goose Lake which used to be huge (all the way up to where I am taking this picture). Fish swimming out of that lake into the streams is what populated that particular redband.
IMGP2257.jpg
IMGP2257.jpg (128.58 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
It’s a bumpy ride up a dirt road with steep climbs and sheer drop-offs. We crawl along at about 25mph, passing runoff streams and old mining shacks.
IMGP2263.jpg
IMGP2263.jpg (190.26 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
IMGP2264.jpg
IMGP2264.jpg (283.1 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
This will either be the easiest or the hardest location according to Bob, depending on how the fish have fared after 5 years of drought. This fish, the Warner Lakes redband, exists in only a couple of miles of stream. The area we will be fishing is swampy, with limited access and lots of brush. With trepidation I tie on the old standby Parachute Adams and head down to the pool where Bob has signaled that I may find the best success. A hit on the first cast – and a miss. Followed by a couple of more…and the pool is shut down. I sit (crouch, squat) in disbelief. I push through the brush and dap my fly into a narrow stretch through the grass, and…
IMGP2275.jpg
IMGP2275.jpg (201.96 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
IMGP2276.jpg
IMGP2276.jpg (183.96 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Success! In spite of the rareness of this fish and the small size of the creek, it appears to have survived well. Perhaps it is the wetness of the swampy area through which the stream flows, perhaps the remoteness of the region; whatever the reason I have better luck here than the last two areas combined.
IMGP2277.jpg
IMGP2277.jpg (178.02 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
IMGP2283.jpg
IMGP2283.jpg (128.51 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Osprey?
IMGP2285.jpg
IMGP2285.jpg (86.91 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
Clouds, scenery, flowers – it is beautiful up here.
IMGP2286.jpg
IMGP2286.jpg (90.91 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
IMGP2287.jpg
IMGP2287.jpg (157.53 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
IMGP2289.jpg
IMGP2289.jpg (247.14 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
IMGP2291.jpg
IMGP2291.jpg (153.87 KiB) Viewed 1142 times

The drive home is spent basking in the pleasure of a successful trip with good company. I don’t stop much, but I am a sucker for old barns and old signs.
IMGP2292.jpg
IMGP2292.jpg (198.01 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
IMGP2293.jpg
IMGP2293.jpg (76.86 KiB) Viewed 1142 times
It was thanks to good friends that I was able to complete this challenge. I’m sure the rope burns and shackle scars will heal soon. Overall, it appears that though the fish survived, they are still in dire need of a couple of more years of good rainfall in order to recover to previous, healthy levels. So, for them, and for all of our streams and watersheds in California, let’s hope for an early and wet fall. Small streams rule![/report]
By Redchaser
Big congrats on the little fish. That's truly awesome.
By Lurgee
A bit of that would be really nice right now. Good stuff.
By Spicytuna
That's awesome man. Good work
deliberate fuel

very excellent, thank you. you find the right word[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Raymond Bumble (variation) https://live.stat[…]

The return of Stolen Hours

October 6, 2020 #44?? Gas $1.99 Started later […]

Shakedown: TR

Most excellent! Thanks for sharing, KP

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine