Bittersweet

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
mwk

Re: Bittersweet

Post by mwk » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:59 pm

I haven't been on here much the last few years , just seeing this.

Powerful stuff, thanks for posting

johnbmadwis

Post by johnbmadwis » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:40 pm

Just the sort of guy you want on your side.

Best,

John

cantfishforshit.

Post by cantfishforshit. » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:55 am

Sorry for your loss, .BM. Good to see you are keeping your chin up and getting out.
“I am a fisherman. The work is simple, as is my life. Still, I take pride in my work because on these waters, I may think, and reason not to."

-Hindu Fisherman

"Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale unless it were brought to both of us?" -Njal

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:16 am

Good stuff. Can't imagine what life without faith would be like. We all have challenges every day. Some are simple, and we power through on our own, or so we think. Others, like the loss of a child, can consume us if we don't seek His help and guidance. He's there and willing even as we question His plan and, even, His existence.
"Don Jacobo Crespin y McGillicuddy awoke at noon, feeling refreshed and languorous at the same time, one of the neatest tricks a man can perform."

“Which way General?” the aide asked. “Either,” Forrest growled. “If one road led to Hell and the other to Mexico, I would be indifferent which to take.”

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:25 pm

Through the cacophony we call teh suk, sometimes surface things that inspire us, move us, and guide us to a deeper understanding. Of all of those rare instances of enlightenment BM, your latest is most compelling. Thanks for sharing.

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:27 am

Heavy. thank you for sharing with us all BM
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

markl

Post by markl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:14 pm

BMB, like others, I somehow missed the original installment. Pretty powerful.

When my daughter was born 17 years ago, for whatever reason, she stopped breathing and went blue - really blue. We screamed for the nurses. They came and 'bagged' her, which is the first line of treatment to restore breathing. She responded. She spent the next 4 days in the NICU undergoing all manner of tests and observation, then spent the next few months of her young life with an apnea monitor strapped to her when sleeping. We had several false alarms, and I'm surprised my heart never leapt right out of my chest every time it went off. It was the most stressful period of my life - and, I've had many. She came out fine - well, as fine as any teenager can come out, particularly from a split family. I feel fortunate.

My step-son is now 20. He left our house at 16, bombed out of university, would appear to be lost in drugs and bad decisions. But for a few brief instances, we haven't seen him since he left. It's so frustrating and painful. His last text to my wife was violent and short, and ended with, "if you ever contact me again, I'll get a restraining order". My wife is OK, but she is not the same, and likely never will be.

I have a good friend that lost his 7 year old daughter 2 years ago in a horribly tragic freak accident. He's OK, but not the same, nor is his other daughter. His wife and he made it a year and a bit, and then split. I'm pretty sure there's not many days in his life that are totally peaceful.

I don't mean to 'one up' stories (which is not possible given your experience), but to say, as I both age and simply encounter the inevitable challenges life places in your path, the concept of faith intrigues me. I'm not really religious in any manner, but can appreciate faith and the strength it provides. Especially when something you hold so dear is taken from you and makes no sense whatsoever. I'm not "there" yet, in terms of faith, but I would definitely say I have a healthy appreciation and respect for it's ability to provide support when there simply aren't any answers. The support of family and friends help, in fact they're critical, but there's no one that can be there with you late at night - not even a wife, when you are in bed and your thoughts well up like a geyser.

Thanks to your story (and Rob Loblaw's quote), I think I have a new motto in life, "keep movin' that sand". I'm a true optimist, and this fits real nice for me. So, thanks for that too.

Cheers, all the best, and thanks for sharing,
Mark

Muddled Duck

Post by Muddled Duck » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:09 am

Great post, Mark. Prayers for your wife and stepson.
"Don Jacobo Crespin y McGillicuddy awoke at noon, feeling refreshed and languorous at the same time, one of the neatest tricks a man can perform."

“Which way General?” the aide asked. “Either,” Forrest growled. “If one road led to Hell and the other to Mexico, I would be indifferent which to take.”

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:03 pm

[report]

It's been 21 years today......as is usual for this day, I got up early and went for a long walk alone and had a great conversation.

This isn't a thread about sadness or regret.....it's more about Hope and renewal and well its just about me ......

Just part of my story.

All is Well ![/report]

I think the "BM" on this mound actually stands for "bowel movement"; one of Franzen's, if I'm not mistaken...

FormerlyChaseChrome

Post by FormerlyChaseChrome » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:19 pm

Peace man...

Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:48 pm

ChaseChrome wrote:Peace man...
Yessir... peace.
"Why in the fuck did I miss this place? It's like missing a raging case of the clap."

"Make it matter, fuckos." jhnnythndr

" Herre jävlar vilka fiskar!!" P-A

"I'm no saint though, nor a judge. Rock that shit good and hard, and on your way out, wipe your dick on the curtains." - Kyner

AftonAngler

Post by AftonAngler » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:07 pm

Bobwhite wrote:
ChaseChrome wrote:Peace man...
Yessir... peace.
X3 Amigo
doubleA

http://www.MuskyCountryOutfitters.com

"Never date the songwriter if you are the lead singer... And a giant whore." blumpkin