Clear Cool and Calm Page 11

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
BearsFan

Re: Marsh Memoirs - Out on my own again - TR

Post by BearsFan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:11 am

I rode back grinning ear to ear soaking up the salt spray on my face. The boat skipped along the top of the waves and my spirit was soaring above, somewhere over the salt spray.
I love that feeling.
"I've been searching my whole life for a woman to feed me once a day and eat me once a day. My needs are simple." - Outcast

"Mostly I think about hookers and Tarpon fishing." - blumpkin

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:55 am

BearsFan wrote:
I rode back grinning ear to ear soaking up the salt spray on my face. The boat skipped along the top of the waves and my spirit was soaring above, somewhere over the salt spray.
I love that feeling.
Yep,

There's nothing better than when the boats running great on the way back from a great day of fishing on a beautiful day. Except maybe when the boats running great on the way out to the fishing grounds at the beginning of a day filled with promise....
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:46 pm

I like every bit of that. Especially the red with four spots.

Oh yeah, gotta love the blue tail.

Now I have to go home and dig through my feather inventory to look for some black ones.

:cool

Plow

Post by Plow » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:57 pm

BearsFan wrote:
I love that feeling.
x2 but not so much of the spray in the winter. :cool
Better Reds than dead...

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:09 am

Ruddy,

A weighted black and red seaducer has been my go to fly for a while, particularly if the water is a little off color. Black works well for that because of the strong profile, but is still a subtle enough color that it won't spook the crap out of them in clear water. I like them weighted because a redfish has his mouth on the bottom of his head for a reason (of course they'll come up for poppers but day iadn and day out success is directly proportional to the amount of lead on the fly).

Plow,

It's a Carolina Skiff, it comes with the spray- no extra charge.

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 pm

Redchaser wrote: A weighted black and red seaducer has been my go to fly for a while, particularly if the water is a little off color.
No love for this one anymore?

I've only fished it a couple times, but it showed tremendous promise. I also tied a smaller version on a size 4 that I throw with a 5 weight.

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:48 am

Ruddy Duck wrote:
Redchaser wrote: A weighted black and red seaducer has been my go to fly for a while, particularly if the water is a little off color.
No love for this one anymore?

I've only fished it a couple times, but it showed tremendous promise. I also tied a smaller version on a size 4 that I throw with a 5 weight.
Ruddy,

Very nice tie. I can't tell you how many times I've seen guys tying them at show's (or even selling them online) and screwing up the proportions or tying them too sparse. You got it right.

Redchaser Whistlers will always be in my arsenal. They still produce very well for me. Sometimes if the fish are being slow to bite and hard to feed I'll tie that flashy thing on and it will get reaction strikes, sometimes it will scare the hell out of them, and they still do work well for what I originally tied them for, off color water.

What really got me on black flies in muddy water what a trip I had when I was guiding. Grosse Savanne lodge had called and asked if I could help with a group of fly fishermen in early March one year. We showed up, the water was high, muddy, and the wind was howling. It was going to be a blind casting day so I tied an epoxy spoon on the sports line. He started blind casting while I poled him around a pond and when he stuck a fish I staked us out. He kept casting, and was picking up fish at a decent clip and insisted that I fish too. I never fished while guiding, but we were staked out blind casting and he was pretty insistent. I didn't have many spoons so I wanted to save them for him. I tied on a black weighted seaducer and started casting and was quickly catching at about a 2 to 1 ratio over what he was doing so I tied a black weighted seaducer on for him too. We never pulled the stake or moved the boat and we caught over 40 redfish blind casting in about 14 inches of muddy water. By the way, I like to tie the weighted Seaducers on a hook bent jig style too, I just happened to have a bunch of Gamakatsu sc15s on hand right now and they don't bend.

Redchaser

About Red, Black and Pre History (page 9)

Post by Redchaser » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:22 pm

[report
When I first started this thread I had every intent of just dumping all of my T.R.'s here so everything would be in one place. I'm not sure why I got side tracked from that, but I'll pick it back up now.

The scenario - 3 day weekend, kid on a trip to Florida with her mom, boat just out of the shop, Lurker Mike has a work weekend at his hunting camp, so I'm going fishing solo.

The plan, fish Saturday, stay home and get some shit done that needs doing around the house on Sunday, fish again Monday

Saturday morning, early departure, watched the sun rise on the road
1-IMGP9951.jpg
1-IMGP9951.jpg (56.63 KiB) Viewed 234 times
After 3 hours on the road, I was about 5 minutes from the launch, I shifted my weight in the drivers seat to lift a cheek so I could let a fart out...only it wasn't a fart..I sharted. I drove the last few minutes to the launch, made a beeline for the restroom, threw away my drawers and cleaned my ass up. For some reason the whole ordeal made me think about Joe.

A few minutes later I was on the water.
1-IMGP9952.jpg
1-IMGP9952.jpg (181.45 KiB) Viewed 234 times
The tide was high, I generally prefer a low tide when fishing the Marsh, but I fish when I can and this was it. The water was also pretty murky from recent rains. Other than the water height and clarity, conditions were phenomenal, clear sunny skies and slick conditions. I made a quick run to a spot that usually fishes OK at higher water levels, as I poled in I started seeing big tails. Big black drum were all over the place. Every clump of oysters had a big drum feeding on it. I poled to where one was working, made a few cast until I finally got the fly in the right place (which is on the bottom, directly in front of the drum's mouth, because big black drum are lazy bastards the usually won't move 6 inches to eat a fly). The fish tipped down, I saw it's tail do an excited quiver and I knew it had eaten the fly, I set the hook and the fish was off making a good run. I fought the fish to the side of the boat, and even rolled it a couple of times so I figured he was done, I worked my way down the line, had the leader in one hand and the net in the other, the fish made one last lunge and broke me off. No worries, I knew I would get another shot. back on the poling platform I work my way to another fish, another eat and run, get it to the side of the boat and the hook pulls. I am now pissed off at big bleks and want revenge, unfortunately the commotion had put the rest of the nearby fish down.

I ran to a nearby spot that also holds oysters hoping to see more big bleks on which I could extract my revenge, but all I saw were 2 nice redfish swimming along so I caught one, a solid 30 incher
1-IMG_3147.JPG
1-IMG_3147.JPG (107.94 KiB) Viewed 234 times
After fishing out that area I idled across to another oyster laden flat and started seeing fish, lots of fish, all pushed up working the edges of the grass. A few singles and doubles, but mostly in marauding packs of 3-10 fish, crushing shrimp as they went. The fish were also willing..actually they were slutty
1-IMG_3149.JPG
1-IMG_3149.JPG (131.31 KiB) Viewed 234 times
1-IMGP9958.jpg
1-IMGP9958.jpg (140.57 KiB) Viewed 234 times
1-IMGP9960.jpg
1-IMGP9960.jpg (100.61 KiB) Viewed 234 times
1-IMGP9964.jpg
1-IMGP9964.jpg (119.55 KiB) Viewed 234 times
1-IMGP9967.jpg
1-IMGP9967.jpg (67.76 KiB) Viewed 234 times
1-IMGP9968.jpg
1-IMGP9968.jpg (140.38 KiB) Viewed 234 times
1-IMGP9971.jpg
1-IMGP9971.jpg (155.1 KiB) Viewed 234 times
1-IMGP9973.jpg
1-IMGP9973.jpg (110.87 KiB) Viewed 234 times
When all was said and done I had boated 14 redfish solo and was pissed off at big black drum, but really freaking happy at having had a spectacular day. I headed home, cleaned a few fish and stir fried some redfish collars and cheeks. Holy shit they were good.
1-IMGP9977.jpg
1-IMGP9977.jpg (128.09 KiB) Viewed 234 times
The next day (Sunday) I would stay home to take care of some things around the house, and fish again on Monday [/report]

fly-chucker

Re: About Red, Black and Pre History (page 9)

Post by fly-chucker » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:12 pm

going home hangry, that's a good thing I'm guessing. :cool
"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." -CC

"Get off the water you dumb asses…there is a shit storm coming." -Pancho Rancho

"Fucker compared my small stream trout weenie cast to an epileptic with Tourette’s Syndrome." -Carpe Tructa

Average Joe
Location: Where they rip out the trees and name streets after them.

Post by Average Joe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:04 pm

Redchaser wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:22 pm
After 3 hours on the road, I was about 5 minutes from the launch, I shifted my weight in the drivers seat to lift a cheek so I could let a fart out...only it wasn't a fart..I sharted. I drove the last few minutes to the launch, made a beeline for the restroom, threw away my drawers and cleaned my ass up. For some reason the whole ordeal made me think about Joe.
When everyone on this board thinks about me after sharting themselves, I'll know that my work here is done.

Looks like a great day on the water Red.

And that fried fish...

Someday.

:cool

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Stayed home Sunday to get stuff done around the house, except I did none of it. Instead I tied flies, figured I would need them on Monday. Leaving the house I saw 2 sphinx moths fucking, not sure why that’s important but here it is
1-IMG_3156.JPG
1-IMG_3156.JPG (188.7 KiB) Viewed 186 times
Made the long drive again, got launched a bit earlier than Saturday, water was higher, sky not as clear, visibility was going to be an issue. I made a bee line to the spot that was holding all of the big black drum on Saturday, feeling I had a score to settle. I started poling looking for those big fuckers and the first thing I saw was a slot red. I made one cast and got one eat.
1-IMGP9983.jpg
1-IMGP9983.jpg (102.55 KiB) Viewed 186 times
I marvel at the creatures. As many of them as I have caught and handled, I still love looking at them
1-IMGP9986.jpg
1-IMGP9986.jpg (110.75 KiB) Viewed 186 times
1-IMGP9987.jpg
1-IMGP9987.jpg (99.76 KiB) Viewed 186 times
I kept pushing, moved from the open flat into an winding mangrove lined tidal creek and saw a BIG bleck feeding over some oysters. I made a decent enough cast and the fish ate. When fishing by myself I’m in the habit of dropping the marsh anchor as soon as I hook up, particularly on big fish. This helps keep me from drifting over and spooking other fish. This is a great practice in open water flats, but I need to re think it when I’m in a narrow, winding creek. I had dropped the marsh anchor and right after the fish decided to make a blistering run down the creek, he wound around 2 or 3 mangrove lined bends in the creek and I couldn’t follow after. I fought him off of the poling platform so that I could keep the fly line above the scrubby black mangroves, and left with no other option I pulled on him hard to try and get him to reverse course. I pulled so hard that my fly came back to me with a little fleck of black drum lip still attached. Now I had even more of a score to settle. I poled my way into a dead end, and across a small patch of mangroves and marsh grass I could see lots of black drum tailing on the next flat over, inaccessible at the moment. I fished my way back out of the creek, back to the main bayou, cranked up and ran around to the flat where I saw the tailers. Shutting down well away from the flat I poled my way in and off to my left saw one working. I made a nice cast where it needed to be and the fish acted right. This time I was on an open flat so staking out was the thing to do, and soon 25 pounds of ugly was in the boat.
1-IMG_3159.JPG
1-IMG_3159.JPG (119.57 KiB) Viewed 186 times
1-IMG_3160.JPG
1-IMG_3160.JPG (169.96 KiB) Viewed 186 times
I worked that flat a little longer, missing a couple of eats and getting a few refusals, then decided to go find redfish. I stopped in a shell filled corner that’s usually good and missed an absolute layup shot on a decent fish, spotted a couple of more fish that weren’t really shots. I kept poling along a stretch that I call “Ben’s Bank” because just about every time C.E. has fished with me he’s caught big bulls off of this bank. I spotted a big fish casually working away from me, just out of range, I tried to follow it across the flat, but he apparently felt the boat and would increase his speed to maintain or increase his distance from me until he finally sounded and disappeared. Back to the bank, I saw a big fish, mad a cast, and as soon as the fly hit the water the fish accelerated and elevated to eat the fly. Drag screamed and I held on tight.
1-IMGP0001.jpg
1-IMGP0001.jpg (160.91 KiB) Viewed 186 times
After going through all of the acrobatics necessary to land a big fish solo, I finally had it in the boat, it was north of 30 pounds. The pictures are shitty because I forgot my camera remote and had to use the timer and I didn’t want to fuck around with the fish out of the water for long.
1-IMGP0006.jpg
1-IMGP0006.jpg (148.83 KiB) Viewed 186 times
1-IMGP0005.jpg
1-IMGP0005.jpg (135.35 KiB) Viewed 186 times
1-IMGP0003.jpg
1-IMGP0003.jpg (206.61 KiB) Viewed 186 times
I got the big girl released and felt like I had done what I wanted to do today, whatever else came would be lagniappe.

I finally made my way to the flat where I had caught the majority of my fish on Saturday, hoping they would be there as thick again today. Unfortunately with the water being higher , most of the fish had scattered elsewhere. I saw a few but didn’t really have good shots as the sun was in and out of clouds.

After making almost the whole circuit of the little flat, nearing the exit I saw a big long shape push off of the bank ahead of me and turn toward me. I made a good cast to one side of and just behind the head of the fish so the fly crossed in front of it at an angle when I stripped, the beast snapped his jaws to the side and grabbed the fly, I strip set about 10 times to get the hook in the bony mouth and it was on.
1-IMGP0008.jpg
1-IMGP0008.jpg (183.27 KiB) Viewed 186 times
1-IMGP0009.jpg
1-IMGP0009.jpg (144.86 KiB) Viewed 186 times
After a good fight, a wrestling match and a destroyed net I landed a dinosaur.
1-IMGP0010.jpg
1-IMGP0010.jpg (109.43 KiB) Viewed 186 times

Lurker Mike knows that I’ve had a hard on to catch a big gator gar on fly for a long time, this was icing on the cake.
1-IMGP0013.jpg
1-IMGP0013.jpg (197.74 KiB) Viewed 186 times
This is to give you an idea of its girth. My hands are somewhere between Odell Beckham and Donald Trump size.
It was early still, but after that I was sated. I ran in and drove home happy

fatman

Post by fatman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:50 pm

ran the table, buddy. fukker :smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop