Clear Cool and Calm Page 11

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Fishwater

Re: About Red, Black and Pre History (page 9)

Post by Fishwater » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:58 pm

Thanks for this Ron.
In the last two weeks, I've lost a father in law to illness and my house and everything in it to the flooding. This TR has brought a smile to my face. Thank you for that.
If you could just get laid, I think all would be right in the world. :cool
The famous are rarely relevant, the relevant rarely famous.

Mad_Mike

Post by Mad_Mike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:46 am

Redchaser wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:40 am
Mad_Mike wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:54 pm
when I try to pole my little skiff and fish solo i just end up adding oyster scrapes to my hull and getting pissed trying to cast while holding my pushpole between my legs.... you seem to have it worked out better... Good on ya red! hell of a couple days there..
Mike,

If you ain't scraping oysters, you ain't really fishing. For the solo thing, a belt holster for the push pole and a stripping basket standing on the rear deck right in front of my platform with line stripped into it and the rod standing up in it at ready reach helped me start catching a whole lot more fish.
well then the bottom of my boat will attest that I'm REALLY fishing... black hull sounds so good on paper, and looks so good sitting there brand new.. but damn if it don't show every little scratch.. oh well, they can't stay pretty forever..

As for the poling solo stuff.. i'm blessed with a bounty of people here in chucktown willing to let me pole them around all day for free... so I rarely have to worry too much about it..

Cheers on you for figuring it out though.. :cool
Mad Mike
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. - Hemingway

Leonardo DiCaprio wins at life! - Row vs. Wade

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:50 am

Fishwater wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:58 pm

If you could just get laid, I think all would be right in the world. :cool
Now you're talking crazy. I'm truly sorry about your families recent losses, and you've been in my thoughts. If there's anything I can do the drive to Houston is about the same distance I drove to fish so I can make it, and if you need some fishing therapy the front of my boat is yours.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:07 am

Fishwater wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:58 pm

If you could just get laid,
Crazy talk.

You know where we are if you need anything Mike.

Redchaser

Clear Cool and Calm

Post by Redchaser » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:21 pm

Last week was hell week at work, an "Inventory sale" that has us on the phone cold calling all week like boiler room. I needed to get on the water bad. A front blew down on Friday, Saturday, the first day behind the front was super windy, but the forecast for Sunday looked good on the west side of the state. I called Lurker Mike, his buddy Brent had a client in town from Pennsylvania that's a "Huge Fly Fisher" that he really needed to get on a redfish and he had asked Mike for some help. A plan was hatched. Brent and his client Steve would take Mikes boat, Mike and I would fish mine. Up early Sunday we made the drive west.

It was a beautiful cool morning, bluebird skies, temps about 40 degrees. We tried to coach Brent and Steve on a direction to head, while Mike and I struck out for a pond that would be too shallow for the boat they were in to fish.
1-IMG_3368.JPG
1-IMG_3368.JPG (56.04 KiB) Viewed 287 times
Mike and I fished this pond a couple of weeks ago and did pretty well. Yesterday the water was much lower blown out by the wind, but VERY clear. We saw a few fish but they were being pretty lethargic in the cool water, Mike got a couple of unenthusiastic eats that he ended up pulling the hook on. We made a move to another shallow pond, it too was crystal clear.
1-IMG_3377.JPG
1-IMG_3377.JPG (80.2 KiB) Viewed 287 times
We saw a few more fish in this pond, and they were being slightly more active, but they still weren't wanting to eat. After spending some time enjoying the aquarium like view in the pond Mike got a test from Brent, they were on some happy fish. We started poling up a narrow ditch toward the main canal that boarders this marsh, midway up the little ditch I spotted a fish, Mike made a cast and got the eat. He had the fish on for a bit but lost it. Continuing up the ditch toward the canal we started blowing out more and more fish. Mike leaned over the front of the boat and saw a redfish come up and eat a minnow near the surface. When we got to the mouth of the ditch where it meets the canal, a fish popped up, Mike made a good cast and finally got one in the boat. It was about 11:30
1-IMG_3375.JPG
1-IMG_3375.JPG (45.15 KiB) Viewed 287 times
While Mike was fighting that fish, we saw a bunch of fish blow out off of the bank of the main canal, so we decided to fish our way down that bank in spite of murky water. We quickly started seeing fish pushing and breaching, I saw a swirl on a point, cast and hooked up.
1-IMG_3376.JPG
1-IMG_3376.JPG (35.57 KiB) Viewed 287 times
We kept working that stretch of bank and it was on. Bunches of active fish in muddy water, all very willing to eat. Within an hour we had put 6 fish in the boat, all of them chunky, some of them really nice. This one was missing something.
1-IMG_3379.JPG
1-IMG_3379.JPG (15.77 KiB) Viewed 287 times
When we reached the end of that stretch of bank we cranked up and ran over to where Brent and Steve were. They were on a very large flat, plenty big enough for a couple of boats to stay out of each others way. As soon as we pulled onto the flat we started seeing tails popping up, singles and in two's and threes. We started catching them quickly and they were being pretty slutty.
1-IMG_3378.JPG
1-IMG_3378.JPG (110.12 KiB) Viewed 287 times
1-IMG_3380.JPG
1-IMG_3380.JPG (19.1 KiB) Viewed 287 times
By 2pm we had to start heading back, in the last 2 1/2 hours we fished, we put 12 fish in the boat, Brent and his client had done well also, apparently the Huge Fly Fisher proved to be a capable hand in the front of the boat. The weather was beautiful and the company good. Mike and I have fished together enough that we know the timing and reach of each others cast, how each likes the boat positioned, and where to look when one says "fish at 11 o'clock". Fishing buddies like that are good to have. The ride back across the big lake was great, winds calm and water slick. Good medicine.
1-IMG_3381.JPG
1-IMG_3381.JPG (69.05 KiB) Viewed 287 times
Last edited by Redchaser on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Bigguy

Post by Bigguy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:31 pm

That should have recharged your battery, Red!

fatman

Re: Clear Cool and Calm Page 11

Post by fatman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:59 pm

nice.... :smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

Mad_Mike

Post by Mad_Mike » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:03 pm

I can dig it... good work Red..
Mad Mike
Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. - Hemingway

Leonardo DiCaprio wins at life! - Row vs. Wade

augustwest

Post by augustwest » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:37 pm

very excellent antidote to that work b.s.
thank you
"Enjoy every sandwich." -- W. Zevon

Lurgee

Post by Lurgee » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:43 am

It makes me happy to know you guys were out there doing that on such a fine day.
"Fried Chicken for President!" Trucha del Mar

"Sweet Jesus... untold hundreds of linear miles of pristine trout water within pissing distance, and you cocksuckers went fishing for carp?
What's next? A Wang Chung show? Ajax

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:21 am

Lurgee wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:43 am
It makes me happy to know you guys were out there doing that on such a fine day.
While you were doing sheetrock........

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:36 am

Big fun right there.