Clear Cool and Calm Page 11

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Hogleg

Re: Marsh Memoirs - The Madness Continues

Post by Hogleg » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:28 pm

Right on Red! Did your lost gear ever turn up?
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:30 pm

Hogleg wrote:Right on Red! Did your lost gear ever turn up?
Nope. I did find a good deal on a replacement for the GLX on Ebay...still searching Craigsbay for a deal on an old style Tibor Everglades .
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

TidewateR

Post by TidewateR » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:13 pm

Redchaser wrote:
Hogleg wrote:Right on Red! Did your lost gear ever turn up?
Nope. I did find a good deal on a replacement for the GLX on Ebay...still searching Craigsbay for a deal on an old style Tibor Everglades .
who knows...maybe YOUR shit will show up on craigslist! :bomb

Here are some additional pics.

:cheer

Mangina

Post by Mangina » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:58 am

Nice stuff as always Red!!!

Glad to see you getting time on the water!
TMex puts vibrio on his breakfast tacos

FredA

Post by FredA » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:15 am

Damn guys that looks like a blast. It's been a few years since I've tussled with a red and it haunts my dreams to this day... I've got to get back. :cool Good to see the saltwater reports coming in... this is what gets me through the winter up here.

Willi

Post by Willi » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:37 am

Jealous!!! Gonna be -8 here this evening. Tired of Winter.

Good to see the fish are doing fine with the cold. I just read a report about hypothermic turtles in the Gulf off Texas.

Willi

deerfly

Post by deerfly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 pm

excellent :cool
porcupines are normally peaceful creatures, but Dog saw fit to give them quills

Redchaser

A Trip Back To Where I Belong

Post by Redchaser » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:04 pm

February...that's the last time I've been in the salt, or really fishing to speak of. I've caught a few small bass out of my sisters pond, but haven't really taken a fishing trip since Barret and I got out in February. Work and being a newly single parent has really consumed my time, and when I have had a short window, the wind has been blowing at a gale. Finally, this past Sunday I saw an opportunity. Saturday night my niece got married finishing up a long string of weekend family obligations. My soon to be former wife had my daughter on Sunday so I drove over to Lake Charles and met up with my buddy Devin Palomino. He had stuff to do later in the day so we only had a short window to fish.

We hauled ass to a favorite pond, and as soon as we got to the cut that is the entrance to the pond we were greeted by literally dozens of backs sticking out of the water right on the edge of where the shelf of the flat meets the boat trail. I started putting my fly right in front of the fish and was geting NO reaction. Not a strike nor any fish spooking. We quickly realized that we were looking at a whole bunch of mid sized black drum that were in no mood to play. About 75 yards away we could see redfish working fairly actively so we abandoned the fussy black drum and poled over to the reds.

The pond was loaded with fish. Every time we would push the boat forward about 10 fish would blow out in front of us and they would each subsequently spook a bunch more. We got to the area where the redfish were working. The entire pond was very muddy because the tide had sucked out so hard that it stirred the soft bottom. We staked out for a couple of minutes and after casting at a few different pushes I finally hooked up and landed a nice chunky red. We kept fishing, but considering the huge amount of fish around, it was a struggle. The muddy water made it impossible to see fish before running over them, and when we would see fish crawling with their backs up, they were in water so shallow we couldn't reach them. The fish were kind of jacked up as well. As the tide came in the water cleared, we could see fish but they were regularly spooking off of well presented flies. We ended up boating 4, and I got to fix a nice dinner of blackened redfish to go along with fresh veggies out of the garden. This is the only picture I got from the day.
IMGP1365.jpg
IMGP1365.jpg (135.38 KiB) Viewed 568 times
After this long of an absense, all I wanted to feel in my hand was the rod or the push pole so I didn't pick the camera up much. By numbers it was surely a sub standard trip, but Monday I was a bit lighter at work, smiled more, and I slept better Sunday night than I have in months. I need to be on the water like I need to breath
Last edited by Redchaser on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

troutsmack

Re: A Trip Back To Where I Belong....

Post by troutsmack » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:07 pm

back in the saddle!
Don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree, stay outta my orchard, let my peaches be.

BugEm

Post by BugEm » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:07 pm

good stuff RC!

franzen

Post by franzen » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:26 pm

Glad your back!
"Marine mammals and centaurs are natural compliments to one another." - Spudnik

TX.

Post by TX. » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:32 pm