About Red, Black and Pre History (page 9)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Redchaser

Birthday Back's N Tail's TR

Post by Redchaser » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:00 pm

[report]

45, that's how freaking old I am today. For two weeks I've been telling family and friends that the only thing I wanted to do for my birthday was to "Go Fishing". I think my sisters and mom could sense that it's what I really needed because none of them tried to cajole me into any kind of party, dinner out, or anything else.

I was up real early this morning to make the 90 minute drive..damn I miss living 5 minutes from the salt. I got the boat in the water and was on the flat I wanted to fish by a little before 7 by myself in the boat, I would be fishing from the platform today. I've got a system worked out for fishing alone where I put the line tamer up on the platform with me, strip line into it and stand my rod up in it, When I see fish I tuck the push pole between my legs grab the rod and throw..

As soon as I got on the flat I started seeing singles and doubles tailing and they wanted to play. First 2 cast produced 2 fish.
IMGP1568.jpg
IMGP1568.jpg (126.02 KiB) Viewed 355 times
IMGP1569.jpg
IMGP1569.jpg (168.45 KiB) Viewed 355 times
I started working the north bank of the flat and came into an area that was sick with redfish. The fish were in real loose schools lazily tailing and milling around. These looser groupings were cool, you could pull a fish out of the group without putting the school down..I tied on a fly that my 6 year old tied for me, the first fly she ever tied, and the fish liked it. I caught 4 fish with her fly before a 5th broke it off.
IMGP1581.jpg
IMGP1581.jpg (114.52 KiB) Viewed 355 times
IMGP1573.jpg
IMGP1573.jpg (119.08 KiB) Viewed 355 times
Some even wanted to play on top
IMGP1590.jpg
IMGP1590.jpg (113.39 KiB) Viewed 355 times
I ended up putting 13 in the boat. The fish were so bright they were like a living fireworks display. I haven't altered the color of any of these pics.
IMGP1595.jpg
IMGP1595.jpg (137.81 KiB) Viewed 355 times
IMGP1597.jpg
IMGP1597.jpg (131.87 KiB) Viewed 355 times
IMGP1600.jpg
IMGP1600.jpg (96.87 KiB) Viewed 355 times
IMGP1603.jpg
IMGP1603.jpg (115.96 KiB) Viewed 355 times
It was an epic birthday![/report]
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

blue ridge angler

Re: Birthday Back's N Tail's TR

Post by blue ridge angler » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:12 pm

Happy Birthday man..
Looks like just bout the best way to spend it.. :cool

"When you gotta pull a head off a body to be humane, then the plan was flawed." - befuddled

"FTG!" - Everyone

"Is this site related to the beautiful Magazine by the same name?" - Harold Ray

steelrain202

Post by steelrain202 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:21 pm

happy bday man. man i sure miss redfish. i gotta get to down to Charleston sometime soon and find someone to pole me around
the only thing I've learned from reading this entire thread is that the hokey pokey isn't really what it's all about.

lying bastards.~shunned

FredA

Post by FredA » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:28 pm

Happy Birthday. Looks like you might've gotten what you needed. :cool

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:26 am

FredA wrote:Happy Birthday. Looks like you might've gotten what you needed. :cool
It was a good dose of fixmyattitudicillin.

Redchaser

Re: Hotter 'n Hell In The Marsh

Post by Redchaser » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:57 pm

[report]First off, apologies, pictures are pretty sparse in this report and what's there ain't that great. More on why below. Today I got on the water with my buddy Danny. Danny and I have been fishing buddies a long time and have shared countless days in the marsh. Because of my move, him being busy, and the general problem of real life getting in the way of fishing, we hadn't been out on the water together yet this year. I called Danny and told him about the day I had last Sunday, and since that water is in his neck of the woods we made plans to fish this morning. I had to get up at 4am to make the drive to Lake Charles to meet him. We hooked up his Gheenoe and pulled it to the launch, the Gheenoe is the reason for so few/poor pics. I ain't bringing my SLR into that tippy son of a bitch, and when somebody get's hooked up to a fish and starts moving around in that little boat you have to be pretty focused on what you are doing and how you move around so even with the P&S I don't shoot as many pics.

All that said, the Gheenoe is a sick little fishing machine.
gheenoe.JPG
gheenoe.JPG (120.08 KiB) Viewed 404 times
With the 15 on the back it will do around 25-26 mph with both of us in it. That's fast in a glorified canoe.

We got in the pond we wanted to fish, things were a little slower starting than last week. As we worked our way back into the marsh we started seeing singles tailing here and there. They really had their heads buried in the grass and it was tough to get their attention. After a few refusals I got one to eat and was on the board.
hotred.JPG
hotred.JPG (185.99 KiB) Viewed 404 times
About when I was landing that first red the fish started to school. Danny got up front and hooked up quickly, schools were still all around so I had him stay up front and catch a second. We kept chasing schools until around 9am when they schools broke up and we had to go back to chasing tailing singles.

The colors on these fish is awesome
hotredagain.JPG
hotredagain.JPG (147.23 KiB) Viewed 404 times
It was really tough getting the tailers to pick their heads up out of the grass so I tied on a hot lips gurgler, the last fish of the day came up and absolutely crushed the gurgler on top. We ended the day with 7 fish, a few pulled hooks and lots of blown shots. The heat was ridiculous, and at one point I was afraid I was going to have to give Danny CPR, but it was great to get back on the water with my buddy.[/report]

Mangina

Post by Mangina » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:54 am

Hey Ron- Happy Birthday. 45? That aint too bad. Youre just getting into your prime.

Glad to see you are still getting out on the water.

Need to get together again for some fishing. Maybe our side of the state line?
TMex puts vibrio on his breakfast tacos

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:03 am

Mangina wrote:Hey Ron- Happy Birthday. 45? That aint too bad. Youre just getting into your prime.

Would we have to bring along the Tall Mexican?

Mangina

Post by Mangina » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:34 am

Redchaser wrote:
Mangina wrote:Hey Ron- Happy Birthday. 45? That aint too bad. Youre just getting into your prime.

Would we have to bring along the Tall Mexican?
He's the one with the boat.

Ha
TMex puts vibrio on his breakfast tacos

BearsFan

Post by BearsFan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:12 am

Pretty fish Ron!
"I've been searching my whole life for a woman to feed me once a day and eat me once a day. My needs are simple." - Outcast

"Mostly I think about hookers and Tarpon fishing." - blumpkin

Redchaser

Re: Marsh Memoirs - Out on my own again - TR

Post by Redchaser » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:44 pm

[report]Today I fished some old haunts. I had to make the drive west to pick up my little girl today anyway so I figured I'd get in some fishing. When I launched a bit after 10am the weather was beautiful, winds calm, and the lake looked like glass. By the time I made a required long open water crossing then a pretty decent run back into the marsh, it was 11 when I actually got on the platform and started to fish.
marsh.jpg
marsh.jpg (195.19 KiB) Viewed 250 times

Clarity wasn't great, but the water was so shallow you could still see fish. I matched the murky water with a black fly, and and caught the first fish I threw to.
blackfly.jpg
blackfly.jpg (116.12 KiB) Viewed 250 times
onchest.jpg
onchest.jpg (172.89 KiB) Viewed 250 times
I was seeing lots of fish. They were mostly lazily cruising, eating as they came across something.

This fish was named spot
spot.jpg
spot.jpg (167.54 KiB) Viewed 250 times
Lately I've been fishing to a lot of schooling fish. Schooling fish are fun and offer plenty of excitement, but I get a lot more enjoyment from stalking singles. That was today, all single fish, mostly cruising but a few showing cleavage with their backs out of the water. The flat was shallow and I spent most of the time with the boat dragging ass in the mud.
inwater.jpg
inwater.jpg (196.27 KiB) Viewed 250 times
closeup.jpg
closeup.jpg (155.19 KiB) Viewed 250 times
red n rod.jpg
red n rod.jpg (185.86 KiB) Viewed 250 times
After fishing for an hour and 45 minutes I put my 10th fish of the day in the boat. I decided it was time to enjoy something sublime as I poled my way out of the marsh, leaving behind lots of fish still willing to eat.
sublime.jpg
sublime.jpg (118.75 KiB) Viewed 250 times
For the long run back, the wind had picked up and put a little chop on the lake, not enough to slow me down, but just enough to get me good and wet in my Carolina skiff. I didn't care, I rode back grinning ear to ear soaking up the salt spray on my face. The boat skipped along the top of the waves and my spirit was soaring above, somewhere over the salt spray.[/report]

fatman

Re: Marsh Memoirs - Out on my own again - TR

Post by fatman » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:47 am

Good stuff....I need to fish for those some day
:cool
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop