Marsh Madness, November 2018 update page 12

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
hickdawg

Re: Prep

Post by hickdawg » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:51 pm

Redchaser wrote:Redfish are the strippers of the fish world, they like to show a lot of themselves above the water line.
Funny and true. Hope this weather holds for you and Palo.

BryanM

Post by BryanM » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:01 pm

Howdy RC,

The marshes down Houston way are absolutely on fire right now, just got back and flat worn out, I got out here and they were shredding shrimp and fiddler crabs and left them doing the same. No bulls, but all 24 to 27" and fat! One of the best fall seasons I have experienced in a long time. I love fall in the marshes along the GC.
"There's nothing quite like that first taste of beer"....John Steinbeck

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:03 pm

hickdawg wrote:
Redchaser wrote:Redfish are the strippers of the fish world, they like to show a lot of themselves above the water line.
Funny and true. Hope this weather holds for you and Palo.
HIck,

Forecast looks good. Sunny tomorrow and Mon. A bit breezy tomorrow but better on Monday. Tides are perfect, strong lows bottoming out at around 9a os light should be good when the water is low. RIght now I'm trying to finish out this lame ass wedding reception I'm DJ'ing so I can get home and get a few hours sleep before we leave in the am.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

Plow

Post by Plow » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:24 pm

Good luck and let us know how the circles work. Should be good. Been a bit windy here but good. :cool
Better Reds than dead...

Redchaser

Re: Down East Day One - TR

Post by Redchaser » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:54 pm

[report]
Devin met me at my house at 5am..new time, after DJing a wedding reception till fairly late last night, I was glad that this weekend would include an extra hour of sleep somewhere. We drove east and south about 4 hours, launched his Caimen and started our hunt for big fish. I haven't fished the eastern portion of the state near as much as Devin, and I've never fished it in the winter to target bulls.

Devin set us up on our first flat and started poling. The wind was blowing out of the NE at 15 or better. We hadn't been on the flat 5 minutes when I saw a large dark shape heading toward us at 12 oclock, I made a cast, the wind pushed it farther to the outside than I wanted and the fish kept moving, sliding out to my 3 o'clock. I picked up, made a quick cast, delivering hte fly on the back cast and the fish pounced on the fly. As soon as I stuck the fish it bolted for open water and got into my backing. Devin dropped the power pole and came off the platform.."Fuck" I heard from the back of the boat. I looked back and saw lots of water in the back of the cockpit. The plug on one of the sponsons was loose letting water in, and the bilge pump wasn't working right so no water was getting out. I kept fighting the fish, devin got the plug reset. I finally landed the fish, a long thin 12 pounder.

[attachment=6]IMGP9893.jpg[/attachment]

We got the fish release than had to get the boat up on plane to drain it, we circled the cove we were in getting water out, got everything plugged back up and returned to the flat we were fishing. Devin caught a couple of slot sized fish, then I got back on the front of the boat, hooked and fought a big boy until the hook pulled, then added another slot fish to the dinner menu.

We worked several flats trying to manage wind conditions and by the end of the day we had boated 13 fish. 6 slot sized in the 4-5 pound range, and 7 toads that went 9, 10, 11, 11.5, 12. 13, and 18 pounds. At 18 pounds I landed my largest redfish on fly to date, he was also the first spotless redfish that I've ever landed

[attachment=5]IMGP9898.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=4]IMGP9906.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=3]IMGP9920.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=2]IMGP9923.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=1]IMGP9935.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=0]IMGP9936.jpg[/attachment]

After fishing we went to the camp of a friend that we are staying at. DInner was grilled venison backstrap and braised beef cheeks, all delicious. THe camp is beautiful, 3 stories, professional kitchen, all granite, sub zero and wolfe appliances, it will sleep well. Tomorrow the wind forecast is gentler, we're hoping to be able to find clear water in more areas and find even larger fish. To be continued.

[/report]
Attachments
IMGP9936.jpg
IMGP9936.jpg (146.2 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
IMGP9935.jpg
IMGP9935.jpg (127.66 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
IMGP9923.jpg
IMGP9923.jpg (156.53 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
IMGP9920.jpg
IMGP9920.jpg (144.08 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
IMGP9906.jpg
IMGP9906.jpg (173.15 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
IMGP9898.jpg
IMGP9898.jpg (128.36 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
IMGP9893.jpg
IMGP9893.jpg (153.16 KiB) Viewed 1210 times

pocket water

Post by pocket water » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Redchaser wrote: At 18 pounds I landed my largest redfish on fly to date, he was also the first spotless redfish that I've ever landed

[/report]

Damn! looks like that sucked. It looks like that big boy is missing some tailfin
Last edited by pocket water on Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:11 pm

pocket water wrote:
Redchaser wrote: At 18 pounds I landed my largest redfish on fly to date, he was also the first spotless redfish that I've ever landed

[/report]

Damn! looks like that sucked. It looks like that big boy is missing some tailfin
Yep, the top of his tail got a little trimmed.

pocket water

Post by pocket water » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:15 pm

....I heard that the mexican redfish gangs are cutting off the spots of rival redfish

truteya

Post by truteya » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:17 pm

Shit yeah mayne! That's some serious poundage. never seen a spotless red.
Trying to remember what my daddy said, before too much time took away his head.
-Neil Young

VTNZ

Post by VTNZ » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:25 am

Congrats on the big boys Red! :cool
People are assholes because half the people around are of below average intelligence - Shunned

I hope I didn't infer that I was antifingerbanging. Its an art I hold dear. - RT

Pancho Rancho

Post by Pancho Rancho » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:30 am

Nice red, Red.
Fuck 'em and feed 'em fish

Oh, and nice fishes. Randall Dee

Salmotrutta

Post by Salmotrutta » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:44 am

:Roll Eyes
Lyrical