Marsh Madness, November 2018 update page 12

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Redchaser

Last Day Of The Long Weekend - Back On Homewater TR

Post by Redchaser » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:27 pm

After the big wild weekend of catching monster redfish in numbers I never dreamed of, I wondered how I would feel back out on my home water, chasing mostly slot sized redfish. Would I be ruined? Would the thrill be gone from catching 7 and 8 pounders after feeling the backing stretching pull of a 28 pound redfish? Today is the last day of my 4 day weekend, tomorrow it's back to work and reality. This morning I got up, got my daughter dressed and dropped her off at school. After dropping her off I came back by the house and picked up my boat, I pulled out of the driveway at 8am.

There's a particular pond that's been good lately, the only issue is that it's VERY shallw and today a very strong low was predicted. Doing the conversions I figured the tide would be bottoming out at that pond at about noon, and at the predicted level, the pond would be left high and dry. My window would be short. Get in, catch a few fish, and get out before getting stranded.

I launched and made the run to the pond, the wind had picked up quite a bit out of the S.E. The water was still fairly high but ripping out at a frenetic pace. I headed strait back to the Southeast corner of the pond figuring I could work the bank that ran from S.E. to N.W. and end up back by the entrance any my safe escape.

I wasn't on the pole long when I spotted the first school of fish in open water. I poled to get upwind of them, I wanted to be able to drift into them, shoot a couple of pictures, then grab my rod and catch a fish. I did as planned and as I held the fish I caught to release him, I realized that for the past several minutes my thoughts had been on nothing other than that school of fish. As I approached that school my pulse had quickened, my vision had narrowed to a tunnel and I saw nothing other than that school and my awareness was limited to those fish and the loop of my fly line...I wasn't ruined, even after catching giant fish in shallow water, I still love what I do day in and day out on my home water.

I made good use of the short window I had. Fish were active, cruising the banks in pods of 5-10 fish like gangs of thugs looking for shrimp to carjack. There were plenty of fish cruising the open flats in singles and doubles. I caught 9 fish, kept 3 small ones for dinner. I also caught another damn spotless redfish. I've fished Louisiana's waters all of my life and had never seen a spotless redfish in person prior to this weekend. Now I've caught 2 within 3 days on opposite ends of the state and seen another nearly spotless one come ot the boat.

Big fish down east are fun, and I'm certainly going to do it again, but it's good to be home.

Open water school
backsinopenwater.jpg
Open Water School
backsinopenwater.jpg (129.75 KiB) Viewed 777 times
profileshine.jpg
profileshine.jpg (170.19 KiB) Viewed 777 times
upinair.jpg
upinair.jpg (110.08 KiB) Viewed 777 times
flymouth.jpg
flymouth.jpg (124.71 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Spotless wonder
nospot.jpg
Spotless Wonder
nospot.jpg (157.03 KiB) Viewed 777 times
nospottailleft.jpg
nospottailleft.jpg (184.88 KiB) Viewed 777 times
nospottailr.jpg
nospottailr.jpg (204.22 KiB) Viewed 777 times
I like them better with spots. Think I'll start keeping all the spotless ones to get them out of the gene pool.
honoringspots.jpg
I like them better with spots
honoringspots.jpg (116.68 KiB) Viewed 777 times
I don't care how many big fish you've caught, if your heart doesn't race when you see a school of 6 pound redfish doing this, something is wrong with your soul.
schoollaunch.jpg
schoollaunch.jpg (144.4 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Thugs in the grass.
maraudersingrass1.jpg
maraudersingrass1.jpg (189.61 KiB) Viewed 777 times
maraudertail.jpg
maraudertail.jpg (187.18 KiB) Viewed 777 times
maraudersingrass2.jpg
maraudersingrass2.jpg (173.47 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Back to work tomorrow..
Last edited by Redchaser on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

Barney

Re: Last Day Of The Long Weekend - Back On Homewater TR

Post by Barney » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:52 pm

tits TR!! That one missing the spot though is a mutant! Hope you don't get leprosy or something from it...
He who ain't busy being born is busy dying - Bob Dylan

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:17 pm

Barney wrote:tits TR!! That one missing the spot though is a mutant! Hope you don't get leprosy or something from it...
I thought I was more likely to catch leprosy from ones with spots.

deerfly

Post by deerfly » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:35 pm

could be bad luck, but you might consider changing your handle to redhot. :cool
porcupines are normally peaceful creatures, but Dog saw fit to give them quills

LTD

Post by LTD » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:41 pm

Red...Thats some damn fine work my friend! Some of the most impressive Reds I have ever seen posted on this site, anywhere for that matter. Thank you! Good shit! :cool
"At some point reasonable people have to accept certain changes our presence has brought about, learn to not make similar mistakes in the future and appreciate and enjoy what we have while lamenting what we've lost"~~~~~ Muddled Duck

http://www.keywesttarponguides.com

Fish every fish like it's your last!!!

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks LTD,

It was definately a weekend I won't soon forget.

jerome

Post by jerome » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:58 pm

LTD wrote:Red...Thats some damn fine work my friend! Some of the most impressive Reds I have ever seen posted on this site, anywhere for that matter. Thank you! Good shit! :cool
X2
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

Hogleg

Post by Hogleg » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:52 pm

Hate to see a man fish alone like that. Breaks my heart really. I'd willingly hop a plane on short notice to keep you company next time, just sayin'.
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

nympho

Post by nympho » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:31 am

It's not the big fish that make me get out there. It's what getting out there does to me...
Great report

Those action pics kick the shit out of big fish pics all day long. Fuckin A wow. Instant erection
"Fucksakes. Nemo- tell the green ween to leave those tits up for a spell"...Salmotrutta

Wannabee

Post by Wannabee » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:34 pm

Is it wrong that your TR's get me more riled up than the ThongThread? Oh well, I don't care. But I do know that I don't like you very much.
"You can't let a bar die. A church......maybe.", Hoop

Redchaser

Re: Marsh Memoirs - The Madness Continues

Post by Redchaser » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:09 pm

[report]Today Tidewater and I made another trip to the coast. It was a chilly morning, down to 32 before sunrise, it's been cold all week so water temps were real low. We went out looking for the really big bulls, but the areas they haunt were muddy so we headed deeper into the interior marsh looking for cleaner water. We found good water but sunlight was come and go early limiting visibility. Finally working a shoreline we came across a small pocket in the bank that shallowed up a bit, we saw a fish flash, T.W. made a good cast and soon brought a 14. 5 pounder to the boat.
IMGP0579.jpg
IMGP0579.jpg (128.3 KiB) Viewed 729 times
I took the front of the boat and soon the pattern repeated itself. We came to a small shallow pocket in the bank and it was loaded with fish, mostly laid up, a few moving slowly. It took a few cast to get one of these reluctant fish to eat but I managed a nice 13 pounder
IMGP0582.jpg
IMGP0582.jpg (139.69 KiB) Viewed 729 times
Barret pulled a fish out of that pocket too and we continued up the bank, now looking for shallow pockets to repeat the pattern. The next pocket we came to was incredible, it had a small drain coming into the right rear corner and as we approached it we could see fish stacked up in it like cord wood. This pocket was probably 60-70 feet across and had at least 30 fish in it. Like most of the fish we encountered these were sluggish and very hard to feed, but eventually T.W. got an eat, then I picked up my rod and hooked up for a double. T.W. landed his and mine came unbuttoned near the side of the boat.

The water was cold and the air was colder, when we would land a fish they would curl up and stiffen, gills flared. We had to strain to straiten them for pictures. They all seemed to recover just fine when released back into the water.
IMGP0586.jpg
IMGP0586.jpg (140.08 KiB) Viewed 729 times
After landing that fish, we circled back around to that same pocket, doubling again and both landing our fish. As many fish as were in this pocket, every fish we pulled out of it was over 11 lb's, up to 13.
IMGP0592.jpg
IMGP0592.jpg (127.68 KiB) Viewed 729 times
Being the greedy bastards we are we made one more pass by the pocket and Barret pulled one more fish out of it before we lost our light and visibility.

We worked quite a bit more water, and continued picking up fish. They were sluggish, spooky and VERY tough to feed all day but on the strength of the sheer number of shots we had we ended up boating 11 or 12 fish 7 of which were over 11 pounds.
IMGP0595.jpg
IMGP0595.jpg (114.86 KiB) Viewed 729 times
IMGP0601.jpg
IMGP0601.jpg (134.91 KiB) Viewed 729 times
When water temps get real low, the fish like top lay up in the mud to keep warm, as a result they often come out of the water covered in small leaches. I fumbled one of the fish in the boat and this is what he left for us
IMGP0607.jpg
IMGP0607.jpg (119.29 KiB) Viewed 729 times
It was a heck of a day, thanks for the ride Tidewater.[/report]

hickdawg

Re: Marsh Memoirs - The Madness Continues

Post by hickdawg » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Nice job RC. Thanks for the report.
:cool