This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
I'm sure it would feel good to finally go toe-to-toe with abrassive land owners. However, once in court, anything can happen. The judge makes a ruling, and boom, real-time case law suddenly exists. A precedent is set. Is it worth the risk? Better damn hope so. Sometimes court is the only option, but for the most part the land owner(s) will always have deeper pockets and can sustain the fight longer..... We've been dealing with this crap here in TN for a while, and basically, the only hope for anglers' rights to be protected while fishing in navigable streams is for legislation to be passed. I hope Utah's anglers can win. Those western states seem to be where a lot of controversy/case law exists, and it sure would be good to know that some douchebaggin', pretentious river-monger got his ass handed to him by some anglers.
By Bobwhite
Man, we don't know how lucky we have it around the upper Midwest. Most farmers over in Wisconsin allow public access to fishermen. Hats are off to the good ones. I hope things get sorted out in court, out your way...
Riverview wrote:I'm sure it would feel good to finally go toe-to-toe with abrassive land owners. However, once in court, anything can happen. The judge makes a ruling, and boom, real-time case law suddenly exists. A precedent is set. Is it worth the risk? Better damn hope so. Sometimes court is the only option, but for the most part the land owner(s) will always have deeper pockets and can sustain the fight longer..... We've been dealing with this crap here in TN for a while, and basically, the only hope for anglers' rights to be protected while fishing in navigable streams is for legislation to be passed. I hope Utah's anglers can win. Those western states seem to be where a lot of controversy/case law exists, and it sure would be good to know that some douchebaggin', pretentious river-monger got his ass handed to him by some anglers.
These guys know what they're doing, and they'll ultimatley end up arguing this issue in front of the same court that issued the "Conatser" decision, which defined the constitutional ambit of stream access and use in Utah.
By jdub
slavetotheflyrod wrote:These guys know what they're doing, and they'll ultimatley end up arguing this issue in front of the same court that issued the "Conatser" decision, which defined the constitutional ambit of stream access and use in Utah.
Exactly. This Utah supreme court ruled unanimously in favor of angler access in Conatser. The legialature passed a law that basically said the Conatser decision was full of shit. And now this law goes right back in the lap of the same supreme court. Nothing has altered the landscape such that the court should contradict their earlier ruling...........we hope.
By ncguy
I find it hilarious that Ted Wilson is disappointed that the anglers are going to court. I wonder if he was equally disappointed that the land owners used their money, power and influence to get legislation passed with little public discourse?
By Cary
ncguy wrote:I find it hilarious that Ted Wilson is disappointed that the anglers are going to court. I wonder if he was equally disappointed that the land owners used their money, power and influence to get legislation passed with little public discourse?

Totally. But then Ted is a politician first.... :coffee
By fishsnoop
http://www.utahstreamaccess.org/

Thanks for posting this folks. We meet one last time tomorrow with the Gov's office then the Waterways Task Force, we will see where it goes. Check the site for updates and any help out there is more than welcome. Check out the site and click on the paypal button if you can afford a 5 spot or more we could use it.

By Willi
fishsnoop wrote:http://www.utahstreamaccess.org/

Thanks for posting this folks. We meet one last time tomorrow with the Gov's office then the Waterways Task Force, we will see where it goes. Check the site for updates and any help out there is more than welcome. Check out the site and click on the paypal button if you can afford a 5 spot or more we could use it.

I sent in a donation.

How were you able to get such an organization started?

Colorado has a lot of groups that peripherally are involved in access issues (rafters for example), but none that is invested in pushing the issue.

Anyone know why there isn't this type of organization in Colorado (my state) or Wyoming?

Willi
By fishsnoop
Willi,
It took a ton of talking, time and patience. It took a couple of guys just deciding to do it and lots of meetings. It still is a work in progress, it just took folks stepping up and deciding it mattered enough. Good luck in Colorado, I hear from rstrouts quite often. Thanks a ton for your donation also.

Nothing like terrestrials in Nov.
By Upsetter
When you guys get a link to your filing, post it up, Im looking forward to reading it. Or just email it to me when you get a chance. Let the games begin. Good luck with the gov and commission, you just gained some leverage. :cool

Hope everyone is looking forward to IG Horowitz re[…]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Muddled Denson Autumn Ordie https://live.sta[…]

KP got a good dig in. When I'm the guy who ge[…]

come hell or high water tr

Good year SFB. FYI, he's FSB over here, the[…]

Subsribe to The Drake Magazine