This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Cary
x3 for Mad Mike. Way too heavy for the line they match, came on the scene a little too late. The lighter mid and large arbors introduced not long after these came out crushed them, and they couldnt really complete with the pates and abels at the time. Yours is almost a knock off of an Abel #2. but the drag also had issues. It was a similar drag as used in their high-end conventiona International reels. The drag was great for a conventional 50W with drag set to 15 pounds or so, but didnt work so well wth light drag sttings for fishing 12 - 20 lb tippet.

Never the less, its a nice piece from a great company. It can also double as a framing hammer.
Hay Raffa- please thank your G-uncle for helping make all that grade A dino juice; my truck and I appreciate it! Oh, and if he has any connections with the oil cartels left, my truck and I would appreciate him doing what he can to bring the price back down to something closer to bearable.

Thanks,
Yager and Moby, the great white whale truck

:cool
I was just about to give an erudite, complete and complex reply along with drag tests, metallurgic analysis and recent auction prices ... but then I noticed that there was no picture of a half naked ginger accompanying the request for information. :coffee
By RFA
CarpeTructa wrote:I was just about to give an erudite, complete and complex reply along with drag tests, metallurgic analysis and recent auction prices ... but then I noticed that there was no picture of a half naked ginger accompanying the request for information. :coffee
You think a Moderator/Drake Member in excellent standing has to submit anything to you knuckle draggers? You all owe me for keeping this place up. I may just ban Jhnythndr for even thinking he could ask anything of me except forgiveness.

Good point Rusty....now I just need to build a 7 wt. for some of those wipers in Wellington. Maybe some carp as well.
I wouldn't use any other spinning reel in the salt cept maybe a shimano. Still prefer the Penn

Give you twenty bucks for it

S
made in Philly
raffa, I'm a bit late to the party and it looks like you pretty much got your answers, but I'll add my 2 cents anyway. As has been said they are heavy, esp by current standards. With that brawn you get a battle axe of a reel tho. I've had the #4 since about 1996 and its still going strong. Undoubtedly one of the best fly reels I've ever used to date. Exceptional drag. Can't imagine ever parting with it, not for cause anyway. There's still a pretty good blue water contingent for the size I have. If there's any real downside to them it's getting parts, not that you'd ever need them though. Most likely you'd take it apart and loose something long before you'd ever wear one out. Lack of readily available parts aside, they're on par with any of the best standard arbor big game reels out there.

deerfly wrote:With that brawn you get a battle axe of a reel tho. Undoubtedly one of the best fly reels I've ever used to date. Exceptional drag.

I have to agree with deerfly on this one! Not only because I have one but also because he has fisrt hand experiance with the reel. I have the 1.5 just like the one you are getting (got it in the mid 90's) and would never part with it. Some of the guys made some negative coments on the drag but mine has never given me a bit of trouble. I use it for light steelheading (tippet under 15lbs.) and the drag is as smooth as silk. I think you will love that reel.
Flybug are they still made in Philly? I know a while back they started making them in China and for a few years they were not the same! Penn used to be the status quo for salt water reels. I can remember when these reels came on the scene. It was Fin Nor, Islander, Pate, and Penn who were making large circumference cork drags. RFA i think you scored!
Friday Cheer Through Pics

I'm still lurking around. And the snow is melting[…]

Hah. You don’t get an answer while we&r[…]

If You’re Planning To Come To Montana

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/annehelenpete[…]

Things That PISS Me Off!

jeff grosso. poor fucker.

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine