This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Cary
Does the penn int'l fly reel have a draw-bar/cork drag? I thought it was that HP One Thousand whatever washer drag. I might have to eat some of my words... its been a long time since I fished one.

It will still drive a 16d nail a hell of a lot quicker than a lamson. dats fact.

PS ANyone ever use those fenwicks with the black side plates?
Dude, that reel begs to be taken to the stank and bathed in it's magical waters.

Find a nice long, heavy rod for that badboy - 10' 8wt or better
By RFA
slavetotheflyrod wrote:Dude, that reel begs to be taken to the stank and bathed in it's magical waters.

Find a nice long, heavy rod for that badboy - 10' 8wt or better
I am thinking of getting a 7...for inshore FL salt....small snook and jacks. I could pull some carp out with that.
AT, the only thing made anymore in Philly is meth
flybug.pa. wrote:AT, the only thing made anymore in Philly is meth
not true. they are also known for taking a perfectly good hot beef sandwich and smothering it in Cheez Whiz.
First saltwater reel I ever purchased. Couple of things:

-If anything goes wrong, you can get replacements on PennParts.com (http://store.scottsbt.com/Penn-Parts-HOME-W17C413.aspx)
-They're heavy as shit but solid and they've never redesigned them because they never had to.
-Beware of the drag knob - the threading in the originals was always shit and would strip easily. Constantly cranking down the drag (or loaning it to people who have no idea wtf they're doing) will destroy it very quickly.
-On the inside of the original drag knobs, there's a metal clip (pawl) that clicks as you adjust the drag. It also keeps it in place so bumping it won't move the knob. Replacement knobs don't have the teeth on the inside that the pawl rubs against.

My first saltwater outfit has been known as the lucky rod for most guys now... it doesn't catch me shit. A big 17lb bluefish for a friend literally 2 minutes after I handed it to him after going fishless all day, a fat salmon for another friend upstate in NY, and a 120+lb tarpon in the Keys. I never catch shit on it. It doesn't like me.
with the flip flop reviews here, esp the flops, I figured I'd put up a quick vid of my 15 year old reel (all original parts btw), yanking on it at various drag settings. No studder, etc, smooth at any setting. I'd put this reel against any of the contemporary models too. Hell I already have between my fishing buddies and their reels since I got it some 15 years ago, Abel's, Fin-Nor's (wedding cakes & no#4 AR), Pate Tarpon and recently Tibor Gulfstream. Compared to the old Abel's, Fin-Nor's and Pate's the weight difference between the Penn is nominal. All the reels of that era are heavy compared to today's models. The newer Gulfstreams are noticeably lighter of course. Machine tolerances, smoothness of operation, drag etc, the Penn is easily on par with any of the others mentioned. I imagine there's some lemons out there and I'd be interested in some first hand failure reports on these things, but the one I have is a gem, albeit heavy.

Someone asked earlier on the drag, it is a draw bar design but not cork. Its a carbon fiber disk. Here's a snapshot of the parts...

Rich thanks for the parts link (if I ever need it :cool )
Rusty Hook wrote:
flybug.pa. wrote:AT, the only thing made anymore in Philly is meth
not true. they are also known for taking a perfectly good hot beef sandwich and smothering it in Cheez Whiz.

i was going to mention that but i did not think anyone out west would have any idea what i was talking about,...Nathans hot dogs too
deerfly wrote: I imagine there's some lemons out there and I'd be interested in some first hand failure reports on these things, but the one I have is a gem, albeit heavy.
I know of 3 Penn International reels that have failed in the same way.

There is a small pin that locks the shaft into the back plate and stops it from free spinning. These can shear off after which causes you to have no drag pressure. Instead of the spool revolving around the shaft the shaft spins with the spool. Never heard of or seen any other problems with them.

Just had a look and pretty sure the part is called a Spindle Lock Key.
Cary wrote: Yours is almost a knock off of an Abel #2. .
I was going to say Islander. (I'd own one if it wasn't made in Canuckistan.) Sort of classic looking in a Brooks Brothersy way.

A Philly Cheesesteak is about as gross as Rusty's description. There is as much a chance of me eating a hot beef sandwich as getting a hot beef injection. No thanks. Philly does have some good....um....um....uhhhh.....hmmmm.......how is everybody?
By RFA
eponymous wrote:
Cary wrote: Yours is almost a knock off of an Abel #2. .
I was going to say Islander. (I'd own one if it wasn't made in Canuckistan.) Sort of classic looking in a Brooks Brothersy way.

A Philly Cheesesteak is about as gross as Rusty's description. There is as much a chance of me eating a hot beef sandwich as getting a hot beef injection. No thanks. Philly does have some good....um....um....uhhhh.....hmmmm.......how is everybody?
You're fucked in the head, Yupstein. Cheesesteaks are incredible, although I always preferred Roast Pork Italians (sharp provolone and broccoli rabe').
Friday Cheer Through Pics

I'm still lurking around. And the snow is melting[…]

Hah. You don’t get an answer while we&r[…]

If You’re Planning To Come To Montana

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/annehelenpete[…]

Things That PISS Me Off!

jeff grosso. poor fucker.

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine