No More Skunkin - A Tale of Three Clousers

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
foureyedgeek

No More Skunkin - A Tale of Three Clousers

Post by foureyedgeek » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:58 pm

[report]

Lately around home its seemed like Spring was never going to come. Despite the calender being long past Spring's arrival date, apparently the weather did not get the memo. We've had peeks at what's to come from time to time, but for the most part the days have been filled with clouds, sprinkles, showers & storms. Streams were out of their banks all over the region. With a lot on my plate for the past few months, I really didn't notice, let alone mind the gray days, but after the first weekend in April, my runningaroundlikeachickenwithmyheadcutoff-ness subsided.

Like many good things, the following events started with a beer or two. In this case that beer was a new Pale Ale from out in eastern PA, a 15th anniversary beer that "celebrates the water" they brew their beer with.

The goal was to tie and thus swing soft hackles.

And the next day the weather broke. Sunshine and warm shirtsleeve temperatures even as I stepped out the door to head to work. And so a plan was hatched, I would leave my half-empty office before lunch to fish a stream the flowed between the town I commute to and home.

This was no famous trout stream, but one battered at its bottom end by mine drainage. Above those reaches though there were stream bred browns, some of the whoppers and waaaaay on upstream rumors of the occasional brook trout. This stream had the advantage of flowing cold year-round yet managed to stay off most folks' radar.

Shortly before lunch I left work and headed to the stream, but not without stopping for provisions.

Enjoy the rura-industrial wilderness.

The waters in this creek had been raging just a day or so ago and even that day they were still flowing very well, too well perhaps, with that blue-green color of a channel flush with moving water.

Shot for the BRA.

Stubbornly (foolishly) I was committed to swimming my new ties.

Under normal flows the boulders in the foreground are mostly out of the water. Trout love to lay up against that Hummer size chunk of sandstone.

The fishing was damn slow, but the sun was shining and there were bugs popping off here and there. Add to that the fact that I had brought along the Prince of Pilseners and it was a damn fine afternoon.

While the buds on the trees are struggling to start, there are signs of spring around.

And even some DSFK that I can't even imagine trying to understand...

As I turned to head back to the car I heard the familiar splash of a fish on the rise, so its only a matter of time.

The raindrops are back again today, the creeks are up and muddy again and I didn't even touch a fish the other day, but as the saying goes, hope Springs eternal.[/report]
Last edited by foureyedgeek on Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
some people like Rocky Mountain Oysters... the rest wonder why they are eating balls. - Woolybug

#SavetheDace20XX

Aguirre

Re: Early Spring Skunkin' - TR

Post by Aguirre » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Welp, nobody ever caught fish by staying at home.
Nice fly box
:cool
"I've been blessed with many things in this life. An arm like a damn rocket, a cock like a Burmese Python and the mind of a fuckin scientist."
-Kenny Fuckin Powers

youghriverguide

Post by youghriverguide » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:57 pm

Swinging wets is therapeutic, probably more so without the grabs. Bet you went home relaxed.

I recognize those rocks. We'll have to get over there when the water drops a bit.

foureyedgeek

Post by foureyedgeek » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:18 pm

It was quite relaxing.

Sounds like a plan. Hope to see you sometime this weekend as well.
some people like Rocky Mountain Oysters... the rest wonder why they are eating balls. - Woolybug

#SavetheDace20XX

McH

Post by McH » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:09 pm

thanks for the tip, read yer tr on the way home while sittin in traffic, picked up sixer of Headwater.
enjoying it now.

Edit; passed up on the chilli dawg
you know what i am a strong fan of..... fishing and not being a douche bag. - alteredstates

For fucks sake, its just fishing...it ain't that cool. - Vito

Who the fuck comes home from fishing EARLY? A guy that whipped deserves to get cheated on.- yard4sale

locogringo

Post by locogringo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:29 pm

That's a rat sauteing waiting to happen.

foureyedgeek

Post by foureyedgeek » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:51 pm

McH wrote:Edit; passed up on the chilli dawg
Best chili dogs around, the secret is the potato bun, I think. The Headwater Pale Ale IS very good.

#SavetheDace20XX

foureyedgeek

Post by foureyedgeek » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:57 pm

locogringo wrote:That's a rat sauteing waiting to happen.
Its like a sign from the gods, some crazy effed-up gods.

#SavetheDace20XX

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Fuck man, It sure beat the hell outta my day in the office. Good on ya for getting out there mate. That rank ass rodent in the pan is quite, um , rank! :cool
If assholes could fly, Raleigh would be a fucking airport - my Mum

foureyedgeek

Post by foureyedgeek » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Aguirre wrote:Welp, nobody ever caught fish by staying at home.
Nice fly box
Thanks, I love the old Perrines.

#SavetheDace20XX

Ephemeral

Post by Ephemeral » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:16 pm

foureyed-

Fine provisions.

eph
"Won't you tell me, brave captain why are the wicked, so strong, how can the angels get to sleep when the devil leaves his porch light on." Tom Waits

foureyedgeek

Post by foureyedgeek » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 am

Thanks, Eph.

#SavetheDace20XX