My Friends In The South East ... They Are Here

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Carolina_Fly

My Friends In The South East ... They Are Here

Post by Carolina_Fly » Wed May 18, 2011 12:03 pm

[report]In the Piedmont of North Carolina.

Where are you and have you seen them yet?

- Thomas[/report]
"When you love to fly fish and you're not blessed with holy grail trout waters, you do what you can do to get yer string stretched." - Gaper's Pimp

"Cigarettes aren't allowed in Cary unless the cigarette and the smoke are both the proper shade of beige." - Streamer

jkilday4

Re: My Friends In The South East ... They Are Here

Post by jkilday4 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:11 pm

Heard a solo last weekend somewhere along Toe or Noli in NW NC. Haven't seen/heard any yet here in E TN. Saw a map of approx range of this brood and it's questionable whether we'll get 'em over here or not...hope so

Easy Skankin

Post by Easy Skankin » Wed May 18, 2011 12:34 pm

Should be in CSZ in a few weeks :cool

Somebody please call me when they get to Bristol....that will be a fuckstorm :Roll Eyes
"The funniest thing is that Ive only caught three permit on back casts" - Tailing Permit

www.evergladesflyfishingguides.com

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed May 18, 2011 12:37 pm

not in Camel Town yet, but they are at Badin lake 4 sure.
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

Easy Skankin

Post by Easy Skankin » Wed May 18, 2011 12:41 pm

Cicada Bake on the SoHo? :smile
"The funniest thing is that Ive only caught three permit on back casts" - Tailing Permit

www.evergladesflyfishingguides.com

B.M. Barrelcooker

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Wed May 18, 2011 12:41 pm

where is the map?
"worst that can happen is a big fat zero and a fine walk out of doors"---Chadroc

TX.

Post by TX. » Wed May 18, 2011 12:49 pm

brood-xix.gif
brood-xix.gif (55.61 KiB) Viewed 2940 times

http://www.cicadamania.com/pictures/mai ... temId=3641
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle

Carolina_Fly

Post by Carolina_Fly » Wed May 18, 2011 1:01 pm

Easy Skankin wrote:Cicada Bake on the SoHo? :smile
If only we had planned it ... maybe next 13 years. :bomb
"When you love to fly fish and you're not blessed with holy grail trout waters, you do what you can do to get yer string stretched." - Gaper's Pimp

"Cigarettes aren't allowed in Cary unless the cigarette and the smoke are both the proper shade of beige." - Streamer

Shane

Post by Shane » Wed May 18, 2011 1:05 pm

We get a smattering of them every year. There is a minor 7 year, and a spotty 13 year hatch that we had a few years ago, but the big one is the 17's.

We get those next year.

The last one was when my son was born. He's 16. It got biblical at my house. I remember mowing the yard and seeing the first one crawling along the grass tops. I was like " hey there little fella, where ya going?" and gently placed him on the bark of a tree. Within a couple of days there were literally millions of them and if I accidentally crushed twenty with each footfall, I didn't care. The bark on the trees was obscured by husks, and every evening these would all get knocked off by the next evening's brood until there were piles of husks six inches thick at the base of the trees like a fresh mulching. You could hear them crawling around. When they got going later in the evening the sound was deafening. There was one squirel who was eating them. He would just hang by his back toes and grab them, break them in half and only eat their tail section. He gorged himself to death, I found him in the yard, his tummy tight as a tick.

This went on for about a week. Then their carcasses started to smell. After that, the twigs started falling out of the trees. The females have these saw like ovipositors that they use to insert their eggs into small branches, which kills the branch, causing it to fall with the next strong breeze. The nymphs then crawl out of the twig and burrow into the ground where they suck on Oak roots for the next seventeen years til the skin on their back starts getting itchy.

I can't wait.
Your fishing trip doesn''t include Kids, Women, but there is ruining your liver activities and swearing

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Wed May 18, 2011 1:41 pm

We don't get hordes of them like some of yuse guys, but we get a few. I was picking blackberries in the backyard the other day and a small green one flew into my bucket of blackberries. I put it in a jar for my little girl, she likes critters.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

cerevisiaephilus

Post by cerevisiaephilus » Wed May 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Shane wrote:We get a smattering of them every year. There is a minor 7 year, and a spotty 13 year hatch that we had a few years ago, but the big one is the 17's.

We get those next year.

The last one was when my son was born. He's 16. It got biblical at my house. I remember mowing the yard and seeing the first one crawling along the grass tops. I was like " hey there little fella, where ya going?" and gently placed him on the bark of a tree. Within a couple of days there were literally millions of them and if I accidentally crushed twenty with each footfall, I didn't care. The bark on the trees was obscured by husks, and every evening these would all get knocked off by the next evening's brood until there were piles of husks six inches thick at the base of the trees like a fresh mulching. You could hear them crawling around. When they got going later in the evening the sound was deafening. There was one squirel who was eating them. He would just hang by his back toes and grab them, break them in half and only eat their tail section. He gorged himself to death, I found him in the yard, his tummy tight as a tick.

This went on for about a week. Then their carcasses started to smell. After that, the twigs started falling out of the trees. The females have these saw like ovipositors that they use to insert their eggs into small branches, which kills the branch, causing it to fall with the next strong breeze. The nymphs then crawl out of the twig and burrow into the ground where they suck on Oak roots for the next seventeen years til the skin on their back starts getting itchy.

I can't wait.
This is awesome.
"All I feel is a slight hope that a giant, shunned, sexually deviant Cryptid will start enforcing his own perverted justice for crimes against nature." -jerome

Carolina_Fly

Post by Carolina_Fly » Wed May 18, 2011 2:25 pm

cerevisiaephilus wrote:
Shane wrote:We get a smattering of them every year. There is a minor 7 year, and a spotty 13 year hatch that we had a few years ago, but the big one is the 17's.

We get those next year.

I can't wait.
This is awesome.
x 2.

Awesome info Shane. Where exactly are you?

- Thomas