This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Plow

With seniority

If you only listen to one...

Last edited by Plow on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Yard Sale
True genius. Sad day. SiP poured.
By BigCliff
Plow, thank you.

Etta James absolutely mastered her craft, and you provided a fine sample of the evidence.

My folks still have this full recording on VHS. Shoot me a PM is you'd like it for a while

By Jed
I remember hearing her first in 1967. I fell in love with that raspy - smooth sound that was so unique. She was always great to listen to, even on her worst albums. She will be missed. Will tip glass in her honor for sure and you can guess what music will be in the background.

jed
By west_jay
It's a sad day for the blues.

Sip poured.

By kyped

By woolly bugger

By Kyner
:bow

I liked her the most out of all the great black pop/soul/blues singers from the 60's. I guess I feel like growing up all you ever heard about was Franklin and Ross and Turner, but Etta smoked 'em all, and with far better (classier) music (imo). I didn't discover Etta until I was in my early 20's and I was like WTF? why for didn't they tell me about this chick? I guess it was because that was when I was ready, like certain books or waters or people that come into your life as soon as you are ready to recieve them.

Well, thanks Etta, for doing what you did.
By Willi
Kyner wrote::bow

I liked her the most out of all the great black pop/soul/blues singers from the 60's. I guess I feel like growing up all you ever heard about was Franklin and Ross and Turner, but Etta smoked 'em all, and with far better (classier) music (imo). I didn't discover Etta until I was in my early 20's and I was like WTF? why for didn't they tell me about this chick? I guess it was because that was when I was ready, like certain books or waters or people that come into your life as soon as you are ready to recieve them.

Nicely put Kyner.

That lady could sing!

Willi
By Bobwhite
Willi wrote:
Kyner wrote::bow

Nicely put Kyner.

That lady could sing!

Willi
Funny thing... I was reading Kyner's post and thinking to myself, "... nicely put, that lady could sing."

Funny how that happens.
By Redchaser
A great voice silenced, I bet her and Odetta are doing harmonies in heaven.
By catfish
It was the summer of 1960...a two white boys from the segregated burbs with primo fakes...West Point ID i.e. that's why we don't have draft cards but it's Chicago...flush with college tuition money from the steel mills summer work...some of our more worldly and sophisticated school boys who did not need summer work...said try the Blue Note in the loop...she was not much older than us but looked more so and opened for I cannot remember who...but us white boys were more concerned with the old Note being table mixed integrated and what the fuck to order...only later did I discover who she was...a jazz concert in grad school with a music major singing a medley of her songs...
The return of Stolen Hours

Almost caught up with the backward time travel... […]

whatcha tying?

I’m working on a little gift for the lady...[…]

Rock curry

That could be our final destination on the Tour […]

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Yellow Owl Muddler https://live.staticflickr[…]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine