This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Redchaser
My buddy is sick. Sunny is an Irish water Spaniel, he'll be 13 in May. A few months ago I noticed him limping and checked out his paw, he had a nail missing and the toe was infected and swollen as big as a fig. He's accidentally broken off nails before, pawing at fences etc. so I attributed it to that. The vet wasn't sure it was accidental, and was worried there may have been a tumor or something that caused the nail to fall out, but decided to treat the infection and keep an eye on him. The antibiotics helped a lot and he seemed ok for a couple of months. The other day I saw him licking his paw and checked it out, the toe was swollen and the wound re-opened. I dropped him off at the vet this morning. She didn't want to biopsy while the toe is inflamed because that can taint the result so she x rayed the toe. The bone of the toe is obliterated; she feels very strongly that it's something cancerous because a regular infection wouldn't do that to the bone. We’re going to treat with antibiotics to get the infection and inflammation down, then she is going to remove the toe and sent the whole thing in for biopsy, that way he'll only have to be sedated once versus biopsy, wait for results then operate.

Sunny has been a great dog and I love him a lot. He's already lived about a year past expectancy for his breed, and honestly he doesn't show signs of being in any other discomfort. I hope it's isolated and that removing the toe will get it all, but I also know that at his age this is probably the beginning of a cascade. Timing sucks, My 6 year old daughter is still trying to wrap her head around her mom and I splitting up, moving and changing schools and our cat dying just before the separation and move. Friday night she woke up sobbing and when I asked what was wrong she said she had a dream that "her cat and her dog had died and she didn't have a pet". She had heard me telling her mom that I had to take Sunny to the vet. Now I have to start talking to her about Sunny's mortality to try and prepare her for when the inevitable happens. If you pray, meditate or send out good vibes, send some our way if you can. Thanks

By BigTimber
aw crap. sorry man. I feel for you. Our 7 yr old malamute has this "thing" on her toe too. Vet didn't see it as a problem. It went away, but over the weekend the wife noticed it came back, bigger than ever. She, the dog, has been licking it. Hope there's some magical stuff in that dog saliva. Really don't need any more vet bills right now. I'm sure you do this, but you can't tell your daughter you love her enough, especially with the stuff it sounds like you got going on. keep your head up.
By Redchaser
BigTimber wrote:aw crap. sorry man. I feel for you. Our 7 yr old malamute has this "thing" on her toe too. Vet didn't see it as a problem. It went away, but over the weekend the wife noticed it came back, bigger than ever. She, the dog, has been licking it. Hope there's some magical stuff in that dog saliva. Really don't need any more vet bills right now. I'm sure you do this, but you can't tell your daughter you love her enough, especially with the stuff it sounds like you got going on. keep your head up.
B.T.,

If there is one thing my daughter has absolute certainty of every minute of ever day it's that her dad loves her. I hope it's nothing major with your dog either, but I would get her back to the vet (trust me, none of us need the bills but we gotta do what we gotta do).
By Kyner
Your request is "in the mail" - had the dog/cancer thing a few years ago. They got the cancer, but she was in an advanced age and unfortunately some other things caught up to her in a few more months, and off she went to wherever the 4 legged angels go. I don't regret the extra months with her, and she was in good health otherwise during that time. Whatever happens, make the best decision for him.
By cantfishforshit
Damn...maybe you should consider having the money ready for a puppy? Sorry to hear this...
By Redchaser
Yeah,

We'll do whatever we can for him as long as he's comfortable, and fortunately he hasn't really shown any pain or discomfort other than when the toe flares up, he moves a little slower because he's old, but he does alright. The ex and I have talked and we definately aren't into medical "heroics" just to keep him around to be miserable. We'll take whatever time we get with him that he can enjoy though. I'll start exploring puppy options too...just in case..
By ncguy
Prayers will be put up.
By fatman
being sent.... :bow
By Bobwhite
Until someone goes through it, they just can't understand.

All we have is coming your way.

Bob & Lisa
whatcha tying?

Mostly Kori spey fly

Thumbing Through Some SBSs

Olive Bunny Cormorant https://live.staticfli[…]

The return of Stolen Hours

moving forward again after catching up with the ba[…]

Rock curry

That could be our final destination on the Tour […]

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine