This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
By Bobwhite
I've got a painting for Ducks Unlimited due in a couple of days... and I've been slacking.

The assignment calls for a painting of a roasted duck dinner... so begins the task all painters struggle with; obtaining reference material. I guess there's nothing to do but get to work.

A couple of the ducks I shot in Northern California snuck home in my luggage... they'll do. They were soaked in a salt-brine for 24 hours, then placed uncovered on a wire rack in the refrigerator for 24 more; this lets the skins dry out some so they'll get crispy when they're roasted. The painting in the background, "Chiaroscuro", was just purchased by the fellow who I shot the ducks with. It was varnished earlier in the day and is almost dry.

Before and after... ready for the smoker.
DrakeDuck1.jpg
Brined and ready to smoke...
DrakeDuck1.jpg (52.2 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
I like to smoke our ducks with apple wood, the trimming come from our little orchard (four trees) and we hoard them for the year's smoking.
DrakeDuck2.jpg
Smoked with apple trimmings...
DrakeDuck2.jpg (52.79 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
Mean while, back in the kitchen...
DrakeDuck3.jpg
Mean while back in the kitchen...
DrakeDuck3.jpg (35.38 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
Lisa is cleaning and preparing a bunch of root vegetables for roasting in the oven.
DrakeDuck4.jpg
Preparing vegetables for roasting...
DrakeDuck4.jpg (46.16 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
Back by the studio... the Big Chief is rolling
DrakeDuck5.jpg
Big Chief...
DrakeDuck5.jpg (76 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
Carrots, parsnip, beets, turnips, rutabaga, mushrooms and celeriac (celery root) all get rubbed in olive oil, salt and pepper before they go in the oven at 450 degrees.
DrakeDuck6.jpg
Ready to roast...
DrakeDuck6.jpg (54.65 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
While the veggies roast, Lisa makes crustinis...
DrakeDuck7.jpg
Crustinis...
DrakeDuck7.jpg (51.73 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
To go with a garlic/Kalamata olive tapinade.
DrakeDuck8.jpg
with garlic/olive tapinade...
DrakeDuck8.jpg (46.37 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
A nice bottle of Pinot is shared by the chefs until the veggies come out.
DrakeDuck9.jpg
The veggies come out...
DrakeDuck9.jpg (56.1 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
The oven gets cranked to 550 degrees, and the smoked ducks go in...
DrakeDuck10.jpg
And, the smoked ducks go in...
DrakeDuck10.jpg (60.59 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
We like our duck rare; eighteen minutes for two mallard is good for me... Lisa like 'em at twenty. We split the difference.
DrakeDuck11.jpg
19 minutes later...
DrakeDuck11.jpg (57.39 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
The table is set, candles lit, a bottle of malbec poured, and dinner is served. It's time to eat...
DrakeDuck12.jpg
It's time to eat...
DrakeDuck12.jpg (52.53 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
But not before the shots are taken that I'll need to paint from... this is work, after all.

Too bad Tommy was over at a friend's house for the night... she missed all the fun!

Tomorrow the painting (real work) begins...
By jhnnythndr
AH, I'm sure you and LIsa managed to enjoy your evening together, with a spread like that.
By cantfishforshit
Reference pics; if I get the subject right I screw up the light...damn nice dinner.
By SLSS
Bobaloo, that is exactly what I'm talkin about! And you know what I mean, buddy. :cool
By flybug.pa.
oh hell yes, good stuffs right there Bob! :coffee
By ScottP
On another level, this rivals the Argentina trip. How long do you roast the veggies? I've been pre-cooking mine in the microwave before I rub the olive oil on, then do them at 375 for about 45-50 minutes.
By Bobwhite
ScottP wrote:On another level, this rivals the Argentina trip. How long do you roast the veggies? I've been pre-cooking mine in the microwave before I rub the olive oil on, then do them at 375 for about 45-50 minutes.
Lisa is the veggie master... but I remember 450 degrees for about an hour. That's seems in line with how you're doing it. Lot's of ways to skin a turnip!
By slavetotheflyrod
That made me hungry.

And made my trigger finger itchy.
By Ajax
I'll bet that meal probably clubs the snot out of the 'Baconzilla Burger' I poisoned myself with this afternoon. On my 'Post retirement schedule of shit to do', there's a new entry entitled 'Kill & Roast Ducks'. More good work, Bob. :cool
By Redchaser
Hey Bob, what temp did you smoke at, and how long? Thanks.
By Bobwhite
Redchaser wrote:Hey Bob, what temp did you smoke at, and how long? Thanks.
Hi Red, loved the photo of you when you were a kid. Seems like we have a lot in common.

I'm not sure of the temp... the Big Chief is either on or off. I put the ducks on the top shelf, and since it a cold night, I don't think they warmed up appreciably. Time? I used one and one-half a pan of apple trimmings. That took about 45 minutes.

The smoke flavor seems to be amplified by the roasting.

We smoke just about everything, steaks, chicken, duck... even salt. A pan of salt smoked with alder is great on fish... mesquite, on red meat. Have fun

Happy to tie up a few of these for the tackle box.[…]

Mitch buggered him. Heart attack soon followed.

Winter steelhead fly swap 2019

Inspired by the swap. 9B7D3411-99F9-4DC9-A62[…]

Bourbon drinkers

D2D27916-082B-46DE-882A-00326A503BBA.png

Subscribe to The Drake Magazine