Smoked & Roasted Duck Dinner

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Bobwhite

Smoked & Roasted Duck Dinner

Post by Bobwhite » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:52 pm

I've got a painting for Ducks Unlimited due in a couple of days... and I've been slacking.

The assignment calls for a painting of a roasted duck dinner... so begins the task all painters struggle with; obtaining reference material. I guess there's nothing to do but get to work.

A couple of the ducks I shot in Northern California snuck home in my luggage... they'll do. They were soaked in a salt-brine for 24 hours, then placed uncovered on a wire rack in the refrigerator for 24 more; this lets the skins dry out some so they'll get crispy when they're roasted. The painting in the background, "Chiaroscuro", was just purchased by the fellow who I shot the ducks with. It was varnished earlier in the day and is almost dry.

Before and after... ready for the smoker.
DrakeDuck1.jpg
Brined and ready to smoke...
DrakeDuck1.jpg (52.2 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
I like to smoke our ducks with apple wood, the trimming come from our little orchard (four trees) and we hoard them for the year's smoking.
DrakeDuck2.jpg
Smoked with apple trimmings...
DrakeDuck2.jpg (52.79 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
Mean while, back in the kitchen...
DrakeDuck3.jpg
Mean while back in the kitchen...
DrakeDuck3.jpg (35.38 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
Lisa is cleaning and preparing a bunch of root vegetables for roasting in the oven.
DrakeDuck4.jpg
Preparing vegetables for roasting...
DrakeDuck4.jpg (46.16 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
Back by the studio... the Big Chief is rolling
DrakeDuck5.jpg
Big Chief...
DrakeDuck5.jpg (76 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
Carrots, parsnip, beets, turnips, rutabaga, mushrooms and celeriac (celery root) all get rubbed in olive oil, salt and pepper before they go in the oven at 450 degrees.
DrakeDuck6.jpg
Ready to roast...
DrakeDuck6.jpg (54.65 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
While the veggies roast, Lisa makes crustinis...
DrakeDuck7.jpg
Crustinis...
DrakeDuck7.jpg (51.73 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
To go with a garlic/Kalamata olive tapinade.
DrakeDuck8.jpg
with garlic/olive tapinade...
DrakeDuck8.jpg (46.37 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
A nice bottle of Pinot is shared by the chefs until the veggies come out.
DrakeDuck9.jpg
The veggies come out...
DrakeDuck9.jpg (56.1 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
The oven gets cranked to 550 degrees, and the smoked ducks go in...
DrakeDuck10.jpg
And, the smoked ducks go in...
DrakeDuck10.jpg (60.59 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
We like our duck rare; eighteen minutes for two mallard is good for me... Lisa like 'em at twenty. We split the difference.
DrakeDuck11.jpg
19 minutes later...
DrakeDuck11.jpg (57.39 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
The table is set, candles lit, a bottle of malbec poured, and dinner is served. It's time to eat...
DrakeDuck12.jpg
It's time to eat...
DrakeDuck12.jpg (52.53 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
But not before the shots are taken that I'll need to paint from... this is work, after all.

Too bad Tommy was over at a friend's house for the night... she missed all the fun!

Tomorrow the painting (real work) begins...
"Why in the fuck did I miss this place? It's like missing a raging case of the clap."

"Make it matter, fuckos." jhnnythndr

" Herre jävlar vilka fiskar!!" P-A

"I'm no saint though, nor a judge. Rock that shit good and hard, and on your way out, wipe your dick on the curtains." - Kyner

jhnnythndr

Re: Smoked & Roasted Duck Dinner

Post by jhnnythndr » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:01 pm

AH, I'm sure you and LIsa managed to enjoy your evening together, with a spread like that.
"Whenever I find myself growing green about the mouth; whenever it is a damp drizzly November in my soul; and especially whenever it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from methodically knocking peoples hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea."

cantfishforshit
Location: Whever I happen to be at the moment, unless I am drunk.

Post by cantfishforshit » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Reference pics; if I get the subject right I screw up the light...damn nice dinner.
Better be putting together one hell of a plan to survive this clusterfuck.
-Blumpkin

If it isn't listed on the commodities market, it gets plowed under in favour of something that is. There's no money in willows or young poplar or native grasses.
-Peetso

Roses are red. Bacon is red. Poetry is hard. Bacon
-Unknown

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:33 pm

Bobaloo, that is exactly what I'm talkin about! And you know what I mean, buddy. :cool
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

Woolybug25

Post by Woolybug25 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:15 pm

I love me some Malbec and duck.

my.my.my. :cool
"All mountain hippies are as young as they day they were born, smarter than Einstein, better looking than Tom Selleck and could outfish an army of pinners." - foureyedgeek

www.hiptothesip.blogspot.com

flybug.pa.

Post by flybug.pa. » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:17 pm

oh hell yes, good stuffs right there Bob! :coffee
If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your shit, then you deserve it.
- Frank Zappa

ScottP

Post by ScottP » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:24 pm

On another level, this rivals the Argentina trip. How long do you roast the veggies? I've been pre-cooking mine in the microwave before I rub the olive oil on, then do them at 375 for about 45-50 minutes.
Everyone stopped to stare at your technicolor motor home
RIP Walter

Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:26 pm

ScottP wrote:On another level, this rivals the Argentina trip. How long do you roast the veggies? I've been pre-cooking mine in the microwave before I rub the olive oil on, then do them at 375 for about 45-50 minutes.
Lisa is the veggie master... but I remember 450 degrees for about an hour. That's seems in line with how you're doing it. Lot's of ways to skin a turnip!
"Why in the fuck did I miss this place? It's like missing a raging case of the clap."

"I'm no saint though, nor a judge. Rock that shit good and hard, and on your way out, wipe your dick on the curtains." - Kyner

slavetotheflyrod

Post by slavetotheflyrod » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:08 pm

That made me hungry.

And made my trigger finger itchy.
Make sure to keep the riff-raff out. - Outcast

Asking me for an avatar is like walking up to the biggest queen in the jailhouse showers and dropping the soap. - RFA

Ajax

Post by Ajax » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:25 pm

I'll bet that meal probably clubs the snot out of the 'Baconzilla Burger' I poisoned myself with this afternoon. On my 'Post retirement schedule of shit to do', there's a new entry entitled 'Kill & Roast Ducks'. More good work, Bob. :cool
I believe in rules. Sure I do. If there weren't any rules, how could you break them?
-Leo Durocher

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:28 pm

Hey Bob, what temp did you smoke at, and how long? Thanks.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Redchaser wrote:Hey Bob, what temp did you smoke at, and how long? Thanks.
Hi Red, loved the photo of you when you were a kid. Seems like we have a lot in common.

I'm not sure of the temp... the Big Chief is either on or off. I put the ducks on the top shelf, and since it a cold night, I don't think they warmed up appreciably. Time? I used one and one-half a pan of apple trimmings. That took about 45 minutes.

The smoke flavor seems to be amplified by the roasting.

We smoke just about everything, steaks, chicken, duck... even salt. A pan of salt smoked with alder is great on fish... mesquite, on red meat. Have fun