Cutting Tools

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Kfoxwyo

Re: Cutting Tools

Post by Kfoxwyo » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Not sure who turned me onto Neeman Tools, might have been RFA~ This is my first of what will now be a few purchases from them, now. Metallurgy at a high form, life time investment. If I had to use one word it was be "wicked" with SOB's accent! No free rides around here, right to work.

In order for this to happen,

Nourish the beast,
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need-a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:55 am

Kfoxwyo wrote:18 Months...multiple emails to see if "they" were even real..Christmas in June!

Art at it highest function form..
WOW, great looking blade, and nice looking vittles too.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

fatman

Post by fatman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:47 am

I had a steak last night that could have used that axe.....
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:54 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (704.57 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
Score!
Buy Mexico Returns

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

fishpimp

Post by fishpimp » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:52 pm

These are my attempts at puukko knives, traditional hunting knives of the finnis and Saamii tribes. The handles are usually made of birch but i had none. White area is antler from a Mule deer, they'd normally use reindeer. These are first attempt so be gentle, they are shaving sharp.
"You look like the type'a guy that gets outta' the shower to take a piss"- Diceman

fishpimp

Post by fishpimp » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:21 pm

[report]Im still trying to make a complete knife from scratch. I am getting better at grinding, though I paid enough for the grinder to outfit myself 4 times in fly gear. Its a 2"x72" belt sander made for knife making. the rest of the tools I already had. I am only now waiting to buy a small forge so I can heat treat my steel without having a second party do it. So here is a quick overview of what I do to make a knife, the finished product may take awhile until I get heat treatment done but I will have the bevels ground next segment. The knives here are one of my own design, a couple nessmuk hunters, and a skinner that is probably way to thick.
A nice clean shop in the garage...
The powerhouse, she'll take you to bone...
Can't have enough sanding belts...
Make a lot of sparks...
dirty bench, real safe...
Some soon to be knives all cut outta steel from the New Jersey Steel Baron in 1084 (easy to heat treat), O-1 tool steel, also easy, and some 80crv. All good, cheap, high carbon steels.
I hope to have some time next week to bevel the edges of these 4 blades. I wish I could snow the amount of fire and sparks the grinder puts out but that'd take a video.[/report]
"You look like the type'a guy that gets outta' the shower to take a piss"- Diceman

Horn_Identity

Post by Horn_Identity » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:49 pm

Fishpimp, those are all awesome. Much respect...... :bow The good stuff.

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:26 pm

Horn_Identity wrote:Fishpimp, those are all awesome. Much respect...... :bow The good stuff.
+1
:cool
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

kish

Post by kish » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Can't wait to see the progress. I recently caught an episode of a knife making competition/reality show on the History Channel called Forged in Fire. I'd never seen the process before and the show sucked me in. Looks like a cool hobby.

http://www.history.com/shows/forged-in-fire
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

kish

Post by kish » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:36 pm

And another thing…your shop's total lack of organization is a sign of genius. (That's what I tell my wife when she complains about my tying desk.)
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

fatman

Post by fatman » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:41 pm

great stuff :smile
My drinkin' days are over; I'm still trouble bound - Slaid Cleaves

"This place is so fucked up. Where else could you find a thread with a Debbie Gibson song, a chapter from Fyodor Dostoevsky, and a sweet under boob pic like that on the same page?" - Hogleg

"You may not be smart, but your car gets good gas mileage". - Stovetop

Adams

Post by Adams » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:19 pm

fishpimp wrote:These are my attempts at puukko knives, traditional hunting knives of the finnis and Saamii tribes. The handles are usually made of birch but i had none. White area is antler from a Mule deer, they'd normally use reindeer. These are first attempt so be gentle, they are shaving sharp.
I'm digging the puukkos pimp. Nice work. I'm surprised by the number of puukkos styles that have really short blades (like half the length of those). Yours look look damned functional.
If you need a reason to drink, you have a problem. . .

"I just think it's funny that the one constant in this place over the past five years is that it was a cool place right up until the next person joined." nemo

When life gives you limes, it's Gods way of telling you that you're an idiot. spudnik