Cutting Tools

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
NeedmoreDEET

Re: Cutting Tools

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:21 pm

IMG_0683-1d.jpg
IMG_0683-1d.jpg (527.76 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
IMG_0685-1d.jpg
IMG_0685-1d.jpg (380.42 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
IMG_0686-1d.jpg
IMG_0686-1d.jpg (385.61 KiB) Viewed 2687 times
should have included a banana for scale. 13.125" overall with a 7" blade. I'm aware of some negative press, but a few friends love them. Saw it for less than half price retail - couldn't pass it up.
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

foureyedgeek

Post by foureyedgeek » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:36 am

Got this guy for my birthday.
some people like Rocky Mountain Oysters... the rest wonder why they are eating balls. - Woolybug

#SavetheDace20XX

Horn_Identity

Post by Horn_Identity » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:17 am

[report]I'm pretty sure some of y'all would disagree with me on this matter, but such is life. Haters gonna hate.

To me, black knives matter.

Three of my favorite black knives......
Cold Steel SRK

My current edc, super light and easy carry....
Spyderco Salt H1

Next to one of my favorite edc of all time, the Spyderco Paramilitary 2

Dig all three
:cool

Bonus knife pics, easily one of the sharpest and stabby knife out of the box. The ever popular....
Kershaw Leek

Pretty slim folder

a flipper

:cool[/report]

marlo

Post by marlo » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:51 pm

[report]
DSC02209_2.jpg
DSC02209_2.jpg (239.44 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
[/report]
Here's hoping that we teach our children well...
And just maybe...to give those responsible a good kick in the fuck...
-CC

Horn_Identity

Post by Horn_Identity » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:18 pm

Nice replacement marlo! I had that Junglas in consideration when I was looking for a big fixed blade knife. I think you'll get your $ worth with that knife. I ended up picking up the CS SanMai TrailMaster, very happy with it. That Buck Hoodlum never made the selection after numerous reports of it failing like yours did. Looks like you did put a whoopin on that Hoodlum though, bravo! :cool

marlo

Post by marlo » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:32 pm

I've always been as big a fan of buck knives as my father is but it's clearly a design flaw on the hood. 4 years of steady batoning abuse and i was surprised it didn't fail earlier.

The junglas is definitely on a different level.
Here's hoping that we teach our children well...
And just maybe...to give those responsible a good kick in the fuck...
-CC

cantfishforshit.

Post by cantfishforshit. » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:49 pm

Working on making my own skinner and by "make" I mean "buy a bunch of shit and throw it together."

“I am a fisherman. The work is simple, as is my life. Still, I take pride in my work because on these waters, I may think, and reason not to."

-Hindu Fisherman

"Do you remember, Odin, when in bygone days we mixed our blood together? You said you would never drink ale unless it were brought to both of us?" -Njal

Kfoxwyo

Post by Kfoxwyo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:10 pm

My first visit to Argentina while attending a business dinner came across a KDS steak knife on year two went to their shop. Year three ordered a knife, the matron said very expensive and hard to get steel given the difficulties of importing into the country. My reply was no real hurry, emailed a couple of times no reply. Two weeks before returning asked an Argentine colleague to call on my behalf, three calls no return call. Next to last day there to my surprise my co-worker simply drove up to the shop an hour and half each way - said what I requested was not possible. Bummer,

He sent back an image of this knife to see if was way a possible alternative. Image

I of course said yes. I could not risk offending his friendship or efforts. Its is remarkable, not quite my style but very nice. So I booked a car for the following morning to visit the shop, and found this beauty.

While there I requested another knife blade shaped just like this one but wood handle in total...to be picked up next year..
Detail,
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need-a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889

kish

Post by kish » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:23 pm

[report]A few months ago my daughter mentioned that she knew a guy who was giving a bladesmithing class. Knowing my affinity for knives, she correctly assumed that I'd be all over it. What better way for some father/daughter bonding than learning how to make a knife? We signed up, as did my brother and his daughter. The dude "teaching" the class was a nice enough guy, and I'm sure he knew his shit, but he was no teacher. It was pretty much a totally unorganized free-for-all, jockeying with eleven other people for position at three forges and five anvils. It was still pretty cool and we had a good time.

Here's what happens if you beat on a very hot railroad spike for a few hours:

The results were less than stellar. I beat the hell out of my blade until there wasn't enough meat left to really bevel a blade. Of course my brother's turned out way better than mine. Fucker. At least Mom always liked me more. He did a paracord wrap while I used a piece of oak for a handle:

I know it's crude as hell, but it inspired me to get serious about making knives. And to make a better knife than my brother. I watched a shitload of you-tube, sectioned off a section of the basement for my shop, bought some equipment, ordered some bar stock and have spent the last few nights at my new belt grinder. Now I have somewhere to go while my wife spends three fucking hours every Monday watching "The Bachelor". Here are two almost ready for heat treating:

The heat treater has a minimum racking charge so I'm going to wait until I have seven or eight knives ready to do at once. I hate waiting, 'cause I've got some nice zebra wood and black palm for handles that I'm dying to see finished.[/report]
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

fishpimp

Post by fishpimp » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:08 pm

Kish you got mail. Dig the lines of the bottom knife.
"You look like the type'a guy that gets outta' the shower to take a piss"- Diceman

kish

Post by kish » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks, Pimp. Your July post was part of what kicked my ass into getting serious about this. I'm guessing you've cranked out a few since your last update. Let's see what you've been up to.
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

T.J. Brayshaw

Post by T.J. Brayshaw » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:54 pm

Any of you knife-o-philes have a good suggestion for where I should list a fancy hand-made knife for sale? My father is trying to unload a Jimmy Lile drop point. I think this particular knife is worth about a thousand bucks.