stolen hours - TR(s)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
woolly bugger

Re: stolen hours - TR(s)

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:54 am

2017 – 82

I thought about the SoHo, but I had some errands to run and by the time that was taken care of it was too late to make the drive worthwhile, so I headed up to puneville and entertained the idea of cooking up a couple for dinner, but decided not to haul in the stove and frying pan and instead stashed three beers in the vest and took the DSLR along for a change.
Miniscule midges were hatching in abundance along with an occasional assortment of larger bugs. Fish were rising and I caught a couple
before they stopped and I took that as an indication that it was time for a beer.

Took some photos, caught more fish, lamented that the stove was back at the car.

It all looked something like this:

Pants of shame II, I didn’t know that RiverbumCo frequented these waters… or perhaps this was left over from the Boy Scouts?

Headed over for some Jazz in the Park and a bite to eat.

Last edited by woolly bugger on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:45 pm

2017 – 83

A little work, a little play, a couple of IPAs, Kingfishers chattering out their boundaries, dragonflies picking off midges, fish rising, rusty spinners, trout for dinner

me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:45 pm

2017 – 84

I woke up to a dreary day, it was spitting rain and a thick cloud cover delayed the dawn. I got to thinking that with the cooler rainy weather big browns might succumb to streamers. I headed up to the river despite that I had an evening engagement scheduled. Sinking line, barely legal, only one fly, 12 lb tippet. I hit all the high percentage spots where I’d caught fish before and even waded out into some sketchy runs. But by the time I got on the water the skies had started to clear and the day brightened up. I ended up fishing up and back over two miles of river and only got one grab. Called it a day and had a wonderful evening.

[/report
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:34 am

2017 – 85

Too nice of a day to stay inside. Went for a hike along a creek. Took a lot of photos, caught a few fish.

This creek came up 3 to 4 feet with the storm that dumped on the area last month. I came across this about a mile in and it has me scratching my head trying to figure out what’s up with that…

Flies on the wing….

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:13 am

2017 – 86

Passed up on a second albie trip on an eighty degree day … had a previous engagement and ended up watching the new Blade Runner and drinking a couple of bottles of wine. But the alarm went off at 5 and I was out the door and on the road by ten after on the way to meet up at a boat ramp on the Staunton in Hurt for a floaty trip on a rainy chilly day. The GPS indicated that arrive 10 minutes before 7. When I left Greensboro it was in the mid-sixties, but the temperatue dropped all the way. Drifts was waiting and Troop was on his way. We ran the shuttle as the rain came down in earnest. As we got to the ramp and floated the boat we opened the first beers of the day. We were looking for Saugeye, and Smallmouth, but we found a real mixed bag in this fishery. Started to take photos with the charged TG-3, wtf, forgot the CF card, crap. First to the boat was a hefty large mouth and then a chunky crappie. Then we got into a few a couple more of those chunky LMB, one each, so the day was looking good. The rain stopped and the skies lightened up a bit the bits slowed down and the temperature continued to drop. A saugeye rolled on my fly at the boat, and we all missed a few fish here and there. We were discussing what could be the problem, drop in temperature, the front moving in, the rain stopping, the full moon and all the other factors that can turn the fish off, but then at the end of the day we switched up seats again and drifts got the bow. He was in the right place at the right time with the right fly and caught four grand fish in the last 20 minutes of the float. Three smallies and a saugeye for his dinner.

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:33 am

2017 – 87

Musky 1, WB 0

From sunrise

Smallie bite still on

19 7/8”

16”

Nice tail

to sunset

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:06 pm

2017 – 88

I was planning to hit the river in the late afternoon to see if the streamer bite was on but, I was having some issues with the car battery and had to jump it once on Friday and then again on Saturday, so I decided it was time to replace and by the time that was done it was too late to bother making the drive. Saturday morning was a chilly 42 degrees and I couldn’t get my head wrapped around making the trip to the river and made the decision that I would spend the morning at the coffee shop and think about it. On the way there I said fuk it and drove on up with plans to hit the lower reach for a couple of hours as I needed to be back in town early for date night.

Looked for the 6wt, ah crap, I sent it off, 4 or 8 were the choices, went with the 4 and a floating line as the river was down quite a bit. Tossed the streamer without any luck before going down deep with girdle bugs. Nothing! Well what the hell, I went on up to the upper reach and fished it had. Bingo! Caught a couple of smallish browns and one that pushed just over 17, not exactly what I was looking for but it was good to gets some tugs. Wrapped it up at 3:30 and managed it clean up and pick up the GF with minutes to spare!

me "There's a season???"