stolen hours - TR(s)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
woolly bugger

Re: stolen hours - TR(s)

Post by woolly bugger » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Transylwader wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:28 am
Gotdang, you got more toys for your cameras than a social media slut! I like that AquaDome pics, but prefer the sight of a broken shitty ass rod. Redington Predator: there is no compromise. They are inexpensive and perform better than some of the 4 and 5 letter swear word bro brands out derr...

I'm a gonna try and break the Predator 8 wt on redfish friday... jis say'in
ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:47 pm

woolly bugger wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:42 pm
Transylwader wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:28 am
Gotdang, you got more toys for your cameras than a social media slut! I like that AquaDome pics, but prefer the sight of a broken shitty ass rod. Redington Predator: there is no compromise. They are inexpensive and perform better than some of the 4 and 5 letter swear word bro brands out derr...

I'm a gonna try and break the Predator 8 wt on redfish friday... jis say'in
Git it Buggah!
Pastor, minister, priest shaman or whatever, the one thing I hate more than rudeness are false prophets - Perish101

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:46 pm

GO TO: Neil Young Archives

Free for months… check it out!

2017 – 94

Beer, Bourbon and

The interwebs are a strange place and can lead you to new acquaintances and you might end up traveling to a new destination to meet and fish with them. Swiping to the right can lead you far afield and that I how I found myself driving five hours down to Beaufort SC to go fishing with SaltyShooz with Capt Owen Plair. Settled into a cozy Airbnb and headed out for some beer, oysters, and shrimp to go along with Thursday night football after watching the sunset.

Got the coffee going in the moring and stepped outside to take a look at the marsh in the morning light.

Drove across the Harbor River on the Okatie highway to the ramp, I arrived a bit early so I checked out the facilities at the Port Royal Sound Foundation Maritime Center where they have a nice aquarium and some very large mounted tarpon and other exhibits.

https://vimeo.com/245546462

Rigged up my rod and waited for the guide and my friend to show up.

We spend a good deal of time trying to locate some redfish. In the overcast light they were difficult to see and you would have thought that in the flat calm water you would be able to see any disturbance 100s of yards away, but the fish weren’t moving, well not until we got right on top of them.

Saltyshooz was up on the bow first and cast into a school, had a take but lost it.

Then we searched up and down the river looking for more reds before finally hooking up with some trouts by accident.

Time for some Buffalo Trace

My turn on the bow lead to more frustration as they appeared to be hanging out of the bottom and the talk turned to barometric pressure and moon phases. Finally we polled into some shallows where a few fish were tailing, but a combo of bad luck, bad cast and spooky fish left me without bringing a fish to the boat.

You can see the fish push at the beginning of this video….

https://vimeo.com/245521695

Well there is always beer….

And oysters

And some parting shots from around Bueafort…

me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:21 pm

2017 – 95

After the low country fail, I needed some redemption, and I planned to take the 8 wt out to work on my casting. I have been cursing myself about the blown cast and what went wrong on that trip. First time on a casting platform listening to a guide call out targets and casting under direction made me realize that i need to up that game.

So I drove up to the local and hit the lower reaches. Left the 8wt in the car and rigged up the newly repaired Sage One 6 wt. with the dregs of the fly box rubber legs and hopped for the best. Bright skies and low clear water and mild temperature in the low 60s made for a nice day to be out and about chasing after trouts.

Worked all the runs and pools from top to bottom and the only thing that turned up was some DSFK

On the way to the next reach I ran into some honey mushrooms, but they were a bit too old to bother harvesting, shoulda been here last week…

My feet slipped out from under me as my boots slipped skidded on the the newly fallen leaves. It was a bone jarring as my butt hit the ground and I felt jolts in my neck as I laid down to recover. This is the vew I had looking up.

More beavers abound on the river.

And another flush of honeys on the way past a fellow BRFFFer on the upper stretch.

Might be some old oysters here…

There are no fish pictures, cause I didn’t catch any. That’s two skunks in a row.
I’ll be back at it shortly and hopefully break this streak with some fall brown butter or perhaps a bit of salty action..

might need to go to a casting clinic to break 25 years of bad casting habits ....

best part of the day was catching up with a fellow BRFFFer and talking shit at the end of the day....

me "There's a season???"

stillsteamin

Post by stillsteamin » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:50 pm

woolly bugger wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:21 pm
First time on a casting platform listening to a guide call out targets and casting under direction made me realize that i need to up that game.
That shit'll pucker anyone's butt the first time. Gets a lot easier once you've caught one, my first time on a casting platform I spent most of the morning embarrassing myself and getting shit on by a no-nonsense Bahamian, but after the first fish suddenly I could slow down, remember where 10 is on a clock, and cast farther than 15 feet into the wind.

Also can relate to the dirty water shut down redfish.

And here I was thinking my problems were special...
"There's nothing more overrated than a piece of ass and there's nothing more underrated than a good shit." -Glen Blackwood

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:51 pm

What the fuck do they not understand about lifetime warranty?
Attachments
FB3091FD-1963-48EA-B872-4AD94DC06D97.jpeg
FB3091FD-1963-48EA-B872-4AD94DC06D97.jpeg (188.59 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
29123E54-7EB8-484F-AFC3-236CEC8D4C6D.jpeg
29123E54-7EB8-484F-AFC3-236CEC8D4C6D.jpeg (253.78 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
me "There's a season???"

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Woolly, you need to sync up with Goldie. I bet you two could find an ingenius way to catch reds off the bough of his boat that he almost fukkin sank behind the "Island" after I told him to not drop anchor on a swiftly rising tide, all the while trying to motor up the beach...
Surf donkeys will give you great target practise. Them bastards zig zag through the open face of the waves chasing mullet and unless you are Clint Eastwood in a shoot out, they will own your ass every damn time. :cool
And leave that POS TF Bro at home.
Pastor, minister, priest shaman or whatever, the one thing I hate more than rudeness are false prophets - Perish101

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:00 am

2017 - 96

Well it was supposed to be some flurries that weren’t going to stick and it was movie night. The usually great wi-fi was suffering and I couldn’t download the files for my next project so I thought I would head on down the road and work remotely and then would be close by for the movie date and I would beat the rush hour traffic. Well the weather started to turn to shit and the snow was sticking pretty good making the street a slushy mess. My GF called and we talked it over and it was decided to take a rain check on the movie. But now I had to face the rush hour snowmageddon traffic which added a full hour to my return trip.

I had talked to the slimyhooker about hitting the river in the morning but the updated forecast was troubling and I didn’t especially want to fight icy guides and I said I would be up there around 10. The slimyhooker was already down on the lower reach and I hiked in to find him. I fished for a bit and then found him working his way back up stream on the other side. The river flowing at 121 cfs it was possible to cross the river in quite a few more places than at the usual higher flows. But we were having difficulties locating fish. The slimyhooker tossed a streamer on the way down and threw rubber legs on the way back. We moved on.

Beer Break!

I watch the slimyhooker attack a run from a different angle than I usually do and he showed me why with the first hook up of the day.

Then we worked on up from there and I hooked a nice brown just a little further up in the run.

Fishing the double stonefly rig along the bottom I got another hit. The was a better fish and it played well.

Still playing around with the goPro Aquadome

Caught this pune with a belly wound, don’t know what caused this, any ideas?

Fished on and on for a couple more hours but the bite turned off and only a few more fish came to hand.

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:39 pm

2017 – 97

Friday evening we went to Revolution on the Half Shell a fundraiser for NC Costal Federation. https://www.nccoast.org/ Music, food and drink on a chilly night. There were about 150 people hovering around six tables waiting for the next batch of oysters to be delivered off of the grill. The feeding frenzy started as the wheelbarrow full of goodness arrived and three shovel fulls of steaming shellfish were heaped up on the table. They were gone in minutes and then we waited again and again. My GF wasn’t digging the cold and the waiting, so we took a break and walked over to Natty Greene's Kitchen to warm up and have some more libations. After a bite to eat and finishing off a bottle of Champagne we braved the cold again for more oysters, drinks and music. The last of the oysters were roasted and on the tables around 9:30 but the band continued on despite the cold until ten o’clock.

Sometime during the night I got some text from slimyhooker about some fishing options. And again in the morning, oh crap, I said I’d go. Rolled out of bed and I had to hit the shower to wake up, that and coffee made the drive tolerable.

Walking in I found some weird DSFK, take a look at the front legs…

Wow, where did all the water go? River was extremely low and clear, the flow was about 1/3 of low normal and it was down almost a foot and as clear as I have ever seen it. Ran into the slimyhooker who reported having caught some decent fish. I worked some runs and finally moved a fish but didn’t set the hook quick enough.

In this photo you can see slimyhooker hooked up on a fish… look closely!

Then as I was looking at a favorite pool, I noticed a low water holding spot and rolled my double nymph rig into the current. Wham, bam, this must be a big trout I thought, but then no, its two trout! I got a double! Hot damn!

https://vimeo.com/247642473

I finished up my day with slimyhooker at the Dead Baby Hole where slimyhooker got a nice 16” fish.

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:11 pm

2017 -98

https://youtu.be/Zmzv5xJ4wE4

Still need rain and lots of it. The river was down another 20% from it’s extremely low flows last week.
I fish because I love to;

Because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly;
Because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience;

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:42 pm

https://vimeo.com/70190072

2017 – 99

Last minute shopping, in and out surgical strike. Cup of coffee and I’m off to the river. We were looking at 105 cfs, about three times what we had yesterday. As I was gearing up a dude pulled in and started gearing up. Of fuck, I thought but he turned out to be a friend of the lurker A and he was headed to a different stretch so all was good. It took me a while to find some fish, had to attack the river from a new perspective as nothing was working in the usual runs.

After covering most of the lower reach I returned to the car and made a cup of coffee to take the chill off the day.

I can only assume that this was another road kill doe.

After covering most of the lower reach I returned to the car and made a cup of coffee to take the chill off the day.

As I was getting ready to head back to the river, an older hippie couple came off the trail and we chatted for a bit and I learned that lurker A’s freind had reported catching a few. I was determined to clean up after him.

Some nice roots

And what’s left of the DSFK I posted up a few days ago.

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:39 am

2017 – 100

Tried to squeeze one more day in during the week, looked like it might warm up enough in the afternoon, didn’t want to chip ice out of the guides so I planned to arrive on the stream after lunch. I’ve not fished the soho much this year and never at the current sluicing flow. I spent a good bit of time trying to find fish, wading deep into the frigid water and numbing my knees and nuts. Despite the full on sunshine it was a cold day on the river. Later in the afternoon a bwo hatch started up and fish were rising. Now where is that dry fly box? Oh, snap! I couldn’t find it! Where the fuck did I leave it, I must have left it in a bin when I cleaned out the car. Oh well, I snagged a few beat up old flies off my vest and hat and gave it a shot, but those picky bastards wouldn’t even give them a look and then the guides started icing up. I knew if I got out I was done for the day. It was four o’clock and I had enough. Skunked for the day I drove home listening to DrakeCast.

2017 - 101

An unexpected warmup in the weather made me change my mind and go out one more day in ’17. I really didn’t want to end the year with a skunk. I really didn’t know what to expect with the messed up flow on the local, but at least is was wadable. Fished the old RPL+ with the CFO, both of which are pushing 25 years.

Nobody else was fishing this marginal water and the only footprint I saw were from the locals.

I love the trees on this hillside, no way to capture it in one shot.

Explored a bit and fished a lot of spots from the ‘other’ side but I wasn’t having any luck. Flow was a bit higher they usual and I started thinking streamers might work better, but I stuck with my rubblerlegs for the day.

Finally at the last spot of the day I hooked a nice brow, and upon closer inspection of the photos I realized that I caught this fish on 12-17 which shows the importance of catch and release.

The catch, keeping ‘em wet

And the release…

And so ends my fishing season for 2017, 19 days short of my arbitrary goal of 120.

Cheers and party on into the new year!
me "There's a season???"