stolen hours - TR(s)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
B.M. Barrelcooker

Re: stolen hours - TR(s)

Post by B.M. Barrelcooker » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:14 pm

Thanks so much for this.

A great thread !!!

I think the "BM" on this mound actually stands for "bowel movement"; one of Franzen's, if I'm not mistaken...

kish

Post by kish » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:39 pm

Yep. I always look forward to the additions to this thread, Wooly. I'm seriously considering retiring in your neck of the woods in a few years and your posts get my wheels turning. You Cackalackians will be getting some PMs when the time comes. Keep 'em coming. :cool
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about.” Charles Kingsley

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:50 pm

Nice late addition. Best wishes and Happy New Year!
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

421sd

Post by 421sd » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:29 pm

My new years resolution is to squeeze in 99 trips in the next 3 years.

Nice work Woolybug. :cool

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:55 am

[report]2017 – 1

I went to sleep filing away some intel (Text from Slimy Hooker: Dude, get out here, the river is on fire! Me, can’t – Brunch date…) from a couple of friends and making plans to get out on the river in the morning. I awoke later than expected, no alarms, and grey skies let me snooze till almost nine. I got dressed, grabbed a cup of coffee and headed out the door and drove an hour to the river. Damn, two trucks were parked at the first spot. I saw one guy fishing up and speculated that the other guy must have headed on down. Backed out and drove to the second spot. With the rain and the river being up a couple of inches I went with streamers and sinking line. I worked the runs and the pools with a barely legal and didn’t move a fish, went smaller and black and started getting into overachievers.

First fish of 2017

Continued to catch smallish browns on the streamer for a while before heading on down the road to another spot which, as I’ve been told, fishes best deep nymphing, but I stuck with the streamer.

Worked most of the upper section when I looked back over my shoulder after flailing away at the far bank and saw an angler on the shore, I waded back to greet him. “You’re that Woolly Bugger dude, I’m not on the forum much, but I see you on Instagram. It’s nice to meet people who care about the river, I’m Chuck and I’ve been fishing it all my life.” We talked for a bit and then I moved on down and he fished where I had been. I had got another fish down low and as I looked back I saw that Chuck was releasing a small one and then he moved and fished on up in spots that I’ve always passed on before.

It was late afternoon now and I wanted to hit one more spot before the end of the day. Thought about switching reels, nah, stick with it! I hiked in, packing a couple of brews and worked all the favorite spots and failed to entice Leroy, only catching little brothers and sisters. Hiked out with a NB and took a couple of pics before driving back to the ranch.

Image[/report]
Last edited by woolly bugger on Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

speybait

Post by speybait » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:54 pm

I really appreciate these, WB. I do hope that some day we will fish together again. Sort of a once every ten years deal. Last time was the White Bake III. Lol
""Who wants an orange whip? Orange whip? Orange whip? Three orange whips!"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:37 pm

[report]2017 – 2

All you get to see from this disastrous TR is mushrooms and beer! I left late hoping to catch falling water, a little too late, tried some new spots, they didn’t work out. Still a couple of hours out on the water at the end of the day counts for something.

This winter flush of oyster mushrooms was past their prime…

The fat tire was not!
Image[/report]

[report]2017 – 3

Work has been keeping me away from the water and when I sent the project over to IT for testing, I split and headed to the moving water with plans to stay until dark. I’ve been trying to get my new 6wt set up and I re-spooled a real with what I though was a 6wf line which as it turned out is probably a 4, so a stop in at the shop for a new line. I let the dude put it on the reel and off I went….

Plan was to make the first pass with stoneflies and then come back with big articulated flies at dusk. It took me a while to figure out why I couldn’t cast. Old dude shoprat put the line on assbackwards. I thought about reversing his mistake on the stream but didn’t want to waste the time. I continued on with the plan.

Swapped out reels and started back up at the top..

Still searching for the big boys of last winter, finding fish, just not Leroy.

When I got home I stripped the line off the reel and picked apart a really crappily tied Albright, which I guess is a good thing ‘cause it didn’t fuk up the loop on the new line….[/report]

[report]2017 – 4

Our Piedmont Land Conservancy’s 2nd Saturday outing was a clean-up project at a 12 acre wetland that was their first land donation. Formally a hunting camp/lodge the area is dotted with old log cabin homes that ring the lakes, Pinecroft Lake Park is now managed by the city. Beavers have settled in and are, causing some of the usual urban beaver destruction and flooding which the neighbors don’t like. There are plans to install some proven beaver dam drains to keep the beavers and the neighbors happy.

Looks like this DSFK didn’t make it through the 4° cold snap...

I brought my waders and ventured out onto the islands and a picked up a bag full of trash in no time and no I didn’t simply fill the bag with beer cans from my car…

Then I headed off to the river, gonna cast with the new line, oh crap, where did I put that reel? Did I bring it or leave it back at home? Fuk it, I tossing streamers! I looking at fresh foot prints everywhere I went and bailed on a couple of locations that were crowded. Damn global warming….
Fished all over the place and thought about stopping, glad I didn’t

Drove home, check the home, tore the car apart, found the reel off to the side… next time[/report]
Last edited by woolly bugger on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:29 am, edited 5 times in total.
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

Kfoxwyo

Post by Kfoxwyo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:27 pm

So nice, thank you sir.
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need-a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:04 am

[report]2017 - 5

Walked in across the field, barren now, every kernel of corn picked from the cobs, in silence waiting for the spring plow.

The old truck sits idle, resting on bald tires.

Stepped down to the river and realized that I just high holed some dude. Standing on the bank I rigged my rod with a small slumpbuster while keeping an eye on the angler. Ok, it looks like he’s moving down stream. I waded up a bit and began working the water. A fish flashed on the streamer on the third cast, a good sign I hoped.
Pune on the buster of slumps

Noticed that the guy was now working back upstream, maybe I stepped in on his water. Took another step and slipped, sat down to avoid a fall, but with wader pants on, I felt the cold water running in around my waist. Stood up quickly and removed my phone from the damp pants pocket. Whew, that was close and probably some sort of Karma revenge for my transgression.

He got out of the river and hiked on down a ways, I worked my favorite run and missed another fish, when I noticed a riser up close to the bank. There were a few BWOs in the air along with an assortment of miniscule midges, which reminded me why I dislike this stretch of the river in the winter. The fish rose a second time, hmmm, time to switch to a dry fly.

Fluffed up the #18 parachute BWO and worked this fish, on about the 20th cast (18 IMHO perfect drifts) the fish struck.

Now what? I hadn’t seen another fish rise, so I just hit the usual runs, until the wind and my wet shirt and jacket made me think it was time for some dry clothes. Hiked on out after inspecting this recent beaver activity.

There was a new path down along the fallen tree where they gnawed all the bark that could be reached.

Moved on down river at dusk with an hour of sunlight left in the day, streamertime! Worked the close run and thought about wading across and up the far side but opted for the easier near side trail. Worked a run that has not produced for me since last winter. I worked it near and far, up and down thoroughly. Stopped and took a few photos in the fading light and was ready to move on down to the next run when I though I should cast one more time.

Worked the rest of this short section without seeing another fish, walked out in the quite of the evening, with only the fading sound of the river and the crunch of the fallen leaves.

Image[/report]
Last edited by woolly bugger on Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
me "There's a season???"

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:14 pm

WITF is 6.5X? The diff between 6" and 8 dick inches? Come on mang! Good to see you out n about whilst the proletariat graft.
knock up a shop owners daughter. drake dudes will send money.

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:46 am

Transylwader wrote:WITF is 6.5X? The diff between 6" and 8 dick inches? Come on mang! Good to see you out n about whilst the proletariat graft.

haha, pune tippet a measly half pound, 227 grams (if you're still calculating in metric) stronger... T.H. marketing gimmick worked on me, but I do lime the 50 meter spools... :coffee
me "There's a season???"

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:43 pm

woolly bugger wrote:
Transylwader wrote:WITF is 6.5X? The diff between 6" and 8 dick inches? Come on mang! Good to see you out n about whilst the proletariat graft.

haha, pune tippet a measly half pound, 227 grams (if you're still calculating in metric) stronger... T.H. marketing gimmick worked on me, but I do lime the 50 meter spools... :coffee
Tippet is a farce. I learned about green line in Cheesehead land. It comes in 100m spools and is dack cheap. You find that sandbagging Leroy with Da Spork yet?
knock up a shop owners daughter. drake dudes will send money.