stolen hours - TR(s)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
woolly bugger

Re: stolen hours - TR(s)

Post by woolly bugger » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:21 am

-G- wrote:Damn wooly. Your photos have been fantastic as of late. I need to get down there again. :cool
'

some days are better that others....

[report]

https://youtu.be/oTFvAvsHC_Y

2017 – 15

Sent a text to Lurker "M", “thinking about going back today”, he replied with some saffa/Austrian undecipherable message, but after fully waking up, replied that he was in. “I got beerz and snads” so we headed down the road. The Lurker "M" got into a nice fish in a difficult run that has only produced sporadically for me. I was denied. Looking at the tailout, I spotted some small rises and tied on a caddis emerger. Boom! LOL

Trout Snacks!

Worked the fish that lives under the log that I lost yesterday. Got it to flash twice on the girdle bug, cast a little further up, hoping for a better drift when this guy intercepted the meal.

What do you do when a string of kayakers float through your water?

Beer Break

You know they are feeding on these…

Artsy shots

Snad break

Lurker "M" has the fish pics...

Heard and then saw a pileated woodpecker…

#evidence
Image[/report]

[report]2017 - 16

I woke up with a stiff back and was walking around like my 92 year old dad. Jesus, getting old sux, I had fished three days in a row and was paying a price for covering many miles of the river. Took some naproxen and hobbled off to work, checked the mail, oh great, a letter from the SSA, saying they never received my companies W2’s from the IRS, clearly this is the fault of the Obama administration. Run around getting copies of 2105 W2s and send them off … WTF? Why contact me… just request ‘em from the IRS… fuckers…. Well it was approaching lunch time, my back was feeling better and I couldn’t help thinking about all those caddis hatching. Worked through lunch and then stopped by the fly shop. Christ, slim pickings in the caddis bin… stop and tie or drive? I’ll make do with what I have. Ran into a local guy at the river. Despite the fact that he was all wadered up and ready to fish, he was kind enough to ask which way I was headed and took off in the opposite direction. I had about three hours of daylight left, just enough to hit most of this reach. Bugs were everywhere but the fish weren’t looking up. Just like the other day with Lurker "M" I couldn’t find the fish. Made some adjustments and bam, thought I was hung on the bottom until I felt the pulse of a fighting fish. It made a dramatic leap into the air before I brought it to net. Thought I got a decent shot and released it back into the cold clear water.

SBOF School of Photography!

Worked the water, picked up a few more fish on the way down.

Oh, what did I just see? I think in saw a trout rise, I’ve never seen a rise down here before! I was getting a chubby!! I stared and studied while putting on a fresh leader. Slashing rises, one, two, thee awe hell they are all over the place… Rummaged through the fly box, settled on a dark sedge dry even though I was pretty sure they were taking the emerges in the film… hooked a sweet 16 incher on the first cast. The fight put the pool down for a bit and then it was game on again. It didn’t last long and they stopped rising but as I glanced on downstream I saw more fish working the bug line. Long cast were required and most were out of reach. I’ll have to find a way to navigate to that spot when there is more daylight. Turned back and had at a few more fish that were sporadically taking bugs. What fun!
Stayed past sunset and hiked out in the failing light of the day.

I think I’ll be tying up some of these…

https://youtu.be/fx5BW9t30cY[/report]
ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:40 pm

[report]

2017 - 16

We got back early from a three day R&R trip to Wilmington, the one fly rod that I did pack was never unfurled. We stayed in the historic downtown. Surprised at the number of bars, coffee shops and restaurants and of course with the warm weather the place was hoppin’. Great food, loved the char-broiled oysters from the Bourbon Street bar. Fantastic sunset dinner on the Riverwalk at The George.
I didn’t take many pics, but here are a few

Sent a msg to a FB friend from grade school, we got together for lunch, haven’t seen each other in over 50 years! Far out!

The plan was to hit the local with the Spork for the evening rise that I had observed last week. He was waiting on some family thing and I headed up alone. I hiked in to the lower reach while keeping an eye on the water for caddis and risers. It was windy and about fifteen degrees cooler than last weekend and I was worried that there wouldn’t be as many caddis around. I waded out to check some rocks were they had been congregating and saw a good number of them fluttering about but not in the huge number as before. I had rigged up at the car, a 12 foot six times leader and elk hair and was determined to catch fish on the surface. But with no risers I sight I thought about switching over, but I watched and waited, there were caddis dapping the surface laying eggs and I saw a few of them floating by, so I stripped off some line and cast up into some likely runs. A trout rose, I was encouraged and continued on. Moving around I spied a rise. I was on it, the first cast was a little short, cast again and watched the fly float on the rippled water, the fish rose, it nose came out of the water as it snatched the fly, I set the hook, it was perfect and I was amazed at the simple beauty of it as if it was the first time. It was a good fish, putting a good bend in the rod and then, nothing, broke off, fuckity fuck fuck! I regrouped and tied on another fly and cast again and got this pune to rise.

I waited and waited and the sun set, the evening chill began to set in as the light left the water, if it was going to happen it was going to be soon. I waited and hoped and then cast blind hoping beyond hope to entice a fish to rise. It just didn’t happen. I stayed fifteen minutes past sunset to no avail.[/report]
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:04 pm

Meet the Flintstones by the Tate Street Coffee House Jazz Ensemble

https://vimeo.com/207179889

Wednesday

The Lurker "M" and I were having a few beers at the Wise Man Brewery, and he was determined to go fishing the next afternoon. I said I’d go, however, the next day, when I checked the weather, I thought it looked sketchy at best as a strong line of thunderstorms was moving through. “Hey dude, it’s gonna rain hard!” “I’m halfway there.” “ok, I’m about 15 minutes behind you.” The Lurker "M" was all geared up and ready to go when I arrived, I told him to go ahead as the clouds were building. I waded out and no sooner that I got into position the rain started and was soon followed by boisterous thunder and lightning streaked across the darkening sky. I bailed and sat in the car waiting for the Lurker "M" to return, which he did in short order. He managed to catch one decent brown and said, “This is what I came for” as he showed me a photo on his camera. “Nice”

Thursday

Local TU meeting tonight, I think I’ll go a bit early and hit the river before the meeting. Looks like some others had the same idea. Fished a run for an hour without a bump. Made it to the meeting which was a meet and greet along with a fly tying session. I tied up a bunch of Chartreuse and White Clousers in anticipation of the white bass run which is bound to start any day. “I’ll bet those brown trout will hit this,” I said to some onlookers.

[report]2017 – 17

Hard freeze returns after a week where temps reached into the 70s. No sense getting to the river too early and have to fight ice in the guides. By ten it had climbed into the 40s and I rigged up in an empty parking lot. No signs of any caddis, only midges. Tied on some extra heavy stones and went to work and work they did. Bam Bam! These first two pics were taken two minutes apart.

It was a grand day. Bright skies warded off the morning chill and the afternoon was rather pleasant with light variable winds.

A little blood from the new nose piercing on this chubby little trout.

Little overachiever on #4 stone

New and improved Ranger??? On sale too!

At the end on my allotted time on the river I switched over to one of the clousers and worked a nice run. Across and down, strip strip stirp. Oh, shit, a fish cam half way out of the water attacking the fly, but missed it by that much. Wait, wait, cast to another spot for a while and then back across, bam! What an
eat. Not the biggest fish but what fun!

High tailed it out and made it back in time for dinner and a “movie”.

Image[/report]

[report]2017 – 18

Well more peeps were out today and I didn’t want to follow someone else, so I searched for some secluded water, still tossing the clouser from the previous day I caught one before switching back to the deep nymping rig.

Catch and release…

Much more of a pune day, with a few clipped fin fish here and there.

Took some time to look for morels but only found trout lilies…

Headed back to cook dinner, Black pepper chicken with glazed cashews, rum and mango.[/report]
Last edited by woolly bugger on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:02 am

[report]2017 - 19

Early Whitey Scouting Reportage

A little prep work at the Wise Man Brewery

Early start, 145 mile drive.

You can tell when you cross over into Virginia where they still fly the stars and bars high.

Getting ready, Corona and 12th of Never.

Cheers.

It was about this big…

I caught it on this.

Maybe it wasn’t quite that big.

But it was bigger than Lurker Dave’s

Cool li’l store

Strange things in VA.

No white bass were spotted. Still early but the trees are budding out and it won’t be long.[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:32 am

[report]
https://youtu.be/ATDEtzAcTg0

2017 - 20

I should have known better, but work was done for the day and there was still time to get to the river for a couple of hours. I drove up past farms with freshly plowed earth that reminded me of a Grant Wood painting. I went up to check the conditions at puneville despite the 20 knot winds. The resident gods greeted me and I fed them a god biscuit while I ate some leftover Udon noodels with shiitake, kale and Andouille.

A bluebird flew by and landed in a nearby tree, here is a crappy photo of it.

On my last trip my RIO Avid Sink Tip line crapped out, I attempted a loop to loop repair and began tossing a small streamed on the line. Lurker “E” told me I would hate it and after casting and retrieving the connection through the guides, I came to the conclusion that in fact it did suk.

BWOs were popping off and a few fish were hitting the surface but I couldn’t entice them so I drank a beer and waited.

The wind really picked up and I called it quits after another hour of fruitless fishing. I think this is going to be a berry berry good year for bugs.

The field is plowed, best time to look for artifacts… jis say’in.[/report]

[report]2017 -21

https://youtu.be/bx0rwtVDi1I
Gimme gimme shock treatment. That about sums up yesterday!

I had waited for the fly shop to open to buy a new sinking line. Old dude was working, so I didn’t trust him to spool the reel since he put the line on ass backwards last time, did it in the parking lot and then headed off to meet up with Lurker “J”. Incoming text message! Damnation! The boy is tearing it up and I’m still a half hour out!

I said “hey” to the Lurker and then headed on down to the lower reach where he had been all morning. With a new line I had to toss streamers, which are always hit or miss on this river. I turned a good fish in the first run but nobody else came out to play and I moved on down working the river methodically. Finally moved another fish and then threw the streamer right back at it and it chased it down and I saw the eat! The fish went nuts! Jumping and tailwalking until I got it in the net. Sure looked bigger in the water.

After reaching the end of the fishable water I took a break and changed reels with plans to nymph my way back up.

Louisianan Hot Sause Sardines, yum!

Good thing I had another 12th of Never to wash them down with!

Fishing after the Lurker had hoovered and sore lipped all the trouts proved to be folly.

I finally caught up with the bastard and we drank beers and watched Lurker “M” work the far side. Many fish were caught, but not by me. But I was okay with that…

DSFK – beaver skull

Image[/report]

[report]
https://youtu.be/rVZDBJ6tat0

2016 – 22

I was sitting in the coffee shop, burning time code to some video interviews, and writing up TRs.g I was stewing the whole time about those young bastards out fishing me and I was suffering from an inferiority complex, with the time change I realized I could still head up at 3:00 and still have enough daylight to justify the windshield time.

First I made a new selection of streamers for the day based. Deceivers, Clousers and a crayfish?

All I’ll say is that one of these flies did the trick.

As I was casting I felt a critter on my neck and picked this little guy off.

Stripping the streamers through the run with the rod tip plunged deep, I felt a hard stop, then the pulse of life as I set hard and put the bend in the rod. As I was fighting the fish I glanced to shore and saw two backpackers giving me a big thumbs up. “Ah, crap, they are taking photos!”

Camera was set to macro-mode, so this shot is out of focus, but shows the whole fish.

After releasing the fish, the backpackers let out a cheer, and I got ready to cast again. I was looking at the end of the fly line, it looked like the nail knot had come off. Then I saw the fly sitting about three feet deep and was able to retrieve it with my wading staff. As I grabbed the fly and leader I realized that it was attached to about 15 feet of sink tip. WTF?

How in the hell did that happen? Line is two days old!!! I tied on another section of mono and began fishing with the shortened sinking line, but it wasn’t getting down and I lost faith. I did turn another big fish that chased the fly and would have caught it if there was more room but I stripped the fly up to the rock at the end of the run and the fish almost came out of the water after it.

Cooked up dinner and had another beer before driving back home.

Image[/report]
me "There's a season???"

ironman

Post by ironman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:26 pm

That was fun as usual.

Sorry about the line. If it was an AirFlo, they have exceptional customer service. YMMV on the other co's.
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin

BobLoblaw

Post by BobLoblaw » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Some good stuff, especially that brown in the last installment.
I think my favorite part was when you described something that I've experienced many times: "Moving around I spied a rise. I was on it, the first cast was a little short, cast again and watched the fly float on the rippled water, the fish rose, it nose came out of the water as it snatched the fly, I set the hook, it was perfect and I was amazed at the simple beauty of it as if it was the first time."
Perfect.
:cool
"Walters brook trout. Roots steelhead. Thalwegs tarpon. Loblaws cutthroats.

The list continues to grow..."
-Fatman

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:51 pm

ironman wrote:That was fun as usual.

Sorry about the line. If it was an AirFlo, they have exceptional customer service. YMMV on the other co's.

It was a Rio and the local fly shop replaced it no problem!!
me "There's a season???"

ironman

Post by ironman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:37 pm

woolly bugger wrote:
ironman wrote:That was fun as usual.

It was a Rio and the local fly shop replaced it no problem!!
Look what Zog do.

There you go.
"if you don't understand the perfect logic of this, then you may as well fuck right off Teh Suk" - Fatman

"I took a Japanese whaling approach to panfishing as a kid." - Boomin

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:37 am

[report]2017 - 23

https://youtu.be/h1PfrmCGFnk

The good, the bad, and the ugly.

Started off buying a new combo license for NC fresh and salt..

Next step was getting supplies for the road trip.

Totally bland but drinable session beer, hard to point out any special notes about this beer other than the deep blue can with a blazing Aztec like sun design.
Very forgettable.

We drove down the night before to avoid a 6 hour 4 am drive, and after a waffle and sausage breakfast we were on the water by 8ish. I was a little bit on the chilly side as we were on the back end of that deep freeze cold front, but the day’s winds promised to be fair and variable in the afternoon. The loons were out and laughing at us as we rode around looking for birds and fish. Every time we spotted some activity we headed over only to find porpoise.

We did run up on some busting fish, but they disappeared into the depths, so we drank some beer and searched on some more.

The only tugs we saw…

We had a backup plan and at two called the search off. At the ramp, as we were getting ready to leave a wildlife agent came up to as and asked if we would participate in an economic survey. This distraction will come into play later on. We answered all the questions and asked a few of our own, namely had anyone else reported catching fish, the answer was it was a very slow day. We then hopped into the truck and drove off to plan “B” We stopped at THE Drive In for some fried oyster snads…

Dayum, that was good!

Drove to the middle of fucking nowhere to find the Maple Cypress Boat Ramp. Dropped the boat in and motored upstream for a while, hit some likely current breaks and came to the conclusion that the water was way too dingy for fly fishing. Drank some beer and took some pictures and cast without a hit.

After we got underway, I went to look for my fly box and that is when realized that the survey distraction maid me forget to check the boat before we left and my buggerbarn beast had flown out somewhere between Morehead and Kinston… This pic was take last year and since then I had added about a dozen slumpbusters, a dozen clousers, a dozen glass minnows on stainless steel hooks, a couple of barely legals, a couple of butt monkeys, and a couple of circus peanuts....

R.I.P.

As we began the drive home we passed through a crossroads named Ft. Barnwell, well I had to look that up and we learned a little history of the
Tuscarora War of 1711 – 1715.[/report]
Last edited by woolly bugger on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
me "There's a season???"

chadroc

Post by chadroc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:33 pm

thats bad news on the barn. but great shit all around.
holding it down on the other side of the border

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:21 am

[report]2017 – 24

https://youtu.be/kUtZkKAZg9Y
Happy Birthday to Dave Grisman

Took a mid-week trip to punetown after taking care of some morning business. Step by step of the day. New leader, perfection knot loop to loop handshake, fine and far, blood knot with spit, Pitzen knot. Three were enough bwos flying about and a few fish were rising, so I tried the dry fly thing for a while.

The fish weren’t looking up so I took a lunch break with the last of the corned beef and cabbage.

Worked the water and finally switch over to nymphing.

Found some signs of spring.

Nymphing paid off with the usual suspects.

The End.

Image[/report]
me "There's a season???"