stolen hours - TR(s)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
woolly bugger

Re: stolen hours - TR(s)

Post by woolly bugger » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:09 pm

IMG_3973.JPG
IMG_3973.JPG (1.21 MiB) Viewed 1071 times
Twisted up some clousers and slumpbusters, scrounged around the car and my vest, and come up with almost enough to fill up 1/3 of the Bugger's new Bugger Beast!
ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:02 am

[report]2017 – 25

I was driving downtown in the afternoon, planning to stop in at a shop for a bite to eat, when a street closure due to construction forced me to change my route, fuck it, I’m going fishing despite knowing that we were planning to go again tomorrow or an early morning mouseing expedition. I arrived around 5 to conditions that were different than expected and that would affect tomorrow’s trip. Sent some texts and then began fishing. Hooked a fat and feisty buttery brown at the head of a ruffle and while the fish was in the net I whipped out the iPhone and set it to slo-mo for the release unfortunately I didn’t start recording but it would have been real nice with a tail wagging splash as it headed off into the depths of the run. That was the best fish of the evening, but many more in the 8 to 12 class came to hand before I noticed a couple of fish rising to the caddis that were egg laying. In the fading light I tied on a midget stimulator, and caught the only riser within casting distance. Now past sunset, I waded out and back to the car and home with the alarm set for four.[/report]

[report]https://youtu.be/_IeD525tEeI

2017 - 26

I wadered up at home and the rod was still strung in the car as I left, driving down the road listening to Black Sabbath.

56 and headed to 75 and cloudy!

Driving the deserted streets

Switch to Pandora and my Zappa feed.

Yea, I must be crazy, driving to the river to see if those browns will play in the predawn hours.

Well it didn’t really work out although with the proper flow it just might, we ain’t giving up yet. We relocated and began fishing with the tried and ture. The sun rose and the only clouds we saw were high and thin cirrus, and not blocking any uv rays. The intense light penetrated the depths of the river and it appeared much clearer than usual. Strikes and missed and a few caught too.

While the slimy hooker worked his way back upstream, I took a beer break at 9 am.

Searched the woods form mushrooms, found none.

Moved on up and missed two good butter bellied browns on the streamer.

On the backside a couple of old redneck dudes were coming down in a jon boat. I think I surprised them when I called out “Are you doing all right?” as the fat one with the white beard and beet red bald head sat in the back and the skinny one was dragging the boat through the shallow waters. We had spotted ole white beard’s beat up POS car in the lot earlier. I moved on as they continued their folly.
Slimy hooker stole the show and high holed me, but I caught a few more from the far side.

As I waded out I crossed over to the back side, where the jon boat had been and I came across a 14 inch brown dead in the water, its jaw ripped out and I could only conclude that ole white beard had dumped it in the river thinking that I was the law when I first approached them and he didn’t want to get caught with an undersized slot fish. Bastards.

It was past lunch time, we were starving, so we headed up the road to the local Mexican restaurant for mas cerveza.

After that, we were too tired and stuffed to even think about hiking in to fish so we settled on an easier access option. Still rigged with the streamers I declared I was sticking with it and wasn’t going to change up for anything. Slimy hooker went up and I went out and before I could complete my first cast, I saw rising fish and I clipped off the fly, changed reels and tied on the stimi from last night. The action was nonstop for an hour or so before it tapered off then stopped all together.

They were mostly smaller fish but a couple pushed past the foot mark, still tons of fun.

We got out and drank a beer while waiting to see if there would be another rise at last light. We almost left as we had been fishing the better part of 12 hours already, but we stuck it out and sure enough the caddis began to swarm and the fish rose, not as intensely as before but they were looking up and we managed for bring a few more to hand, setting the hook on any rise near where we thought our flies were.

Image[/report]

[report]2017 – 27

https://youtu.be/qwIrXOtZyvQ

Driving down the road I saw the sign for the Pig Pounder and pulled in for a sampling of their English and American IPAs. Delish! No time for another pint, I was haunted by those fish I missed yesterday, so I planned a strategic strike, hit a few spots with the steamer and end up with risers in the final hour. The weather was exactly what we the forecast was for the day before, cloudy, so I figured it would be a grand afternoon to streamer action. I worked the three runs there I turned or hooked fish before. One brute of a fish came up off the bottom and flashed or rolled on the fly but didn’t strike and I could not entice it again, another was a short strike and later I had one about 16 follow the fly into the shallows turning away at the last moment. Oh well, on to caddis land…

The fish weren’t rising like they did the other evening, but I got to see this double rainbow while waiting and the clouds after the shower were magnificent, note the small piece of rainbow in the bottom of the cloud.

A fish would rise and I would cast and catch, all nice, all punes, all fun all the time.

Last fish at last light, 7:46 pm.

Image[/report]
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:28 pm

finding a couple of hours in the evening ...

[report]2017 – 28

https://youtu.be/B9FzVhw8_bY

My GF called and asked if I was fishing since it was such a wonderful day. I replied, “No, I’ve been working all day, but finishing up now”. We made plans for the weekend and I said goodbye. Walking to the car, I thought about the caddis hatch and all those rising fish. “Hmmm, It’s 4:40, I can get there and fish till dark,” I plotted.

They started rising at the head of the main pool and I switched over to an EHC. I spied my target rising in the middle of the run and cast away. Over it’s head the fly drifted and then big brother rose and smashed the fly. I reacted too damn quickly and with too much pepper on the hook set and snapped the 5x tippet! Damnation! Swarms of caddis were flying by low and fast headed up into the riffles with a few laying eggs along the way. Trout were rising all around, not steady but predictable and I managed to bring a number to hand in the last hour of the day. It was really too dark to take photos and I bumped the ISO first up to 800, then 3200, and then finally back to 100 with the flash!

I stayed past reason and fished with intuition as it was impossible to see the fly constantly, only catching glimpsed of its silhouette and it danced on the ripples. With one more fish to hand I stopped only because the fly broke off as the fish thrashed as I was removing the hook. Too dark to tie it one again. I was done at 7:52. I could do that every evening. Watch me!

There weren't any others out fishing, if I lived in that town I would be on the river all the time, wait, I am on the river all the time![/report]

[report]2017 – 29

https://youtu.be/Pa2Tl5BeK-U

Thinking that I could go for a repeat I headed up to the river after finishing up at work for the day. When I arrive at my destination there were two cars parked there and as I got closer I realized that one belonged to a wildlife officer. I drove on past and parked checking for my license, I was finally able to confirm that I was indeed current, so I drove on back to the spot. The officer had left and when I got out I asked one of the kids if they had caught any. “No, I can’t fish, ain’t got no license,” he replied. He pointed to his friend, “Game warden gave him a ticket for fishing without a license!” “That’s harsh,” I stated. “He told us not to fish, and even snuck back and checked on us, came from up there,” he said as he pointed upstream to the wooded bank.

The two older boys were with a couple of younger kids who continued to fish, I assumed that they weren’t old enough to be required to have a license. One with hip boots took off and waded into the water I was planning to hit. So I moved on downstream and looked for risers. Nothing was happening so I headed back for a beer break.

The kids were now working in the shallows rolling rocks and picking up crayfish. Two of them were tossing them up to another one who was standing near their tackle box where they had been stuffing the mudbugs. He was afraid to pick ‘em up, afraid that he would get pinched, so I showed him how to pick them up by the back where there claws couldn’t reach. There were more incoming from down below, and I grabbed a big one and was getting ready to put it in the box when I shook it towards the kids face and made scary noises hoping to get him to jump back, he held his ground and I put it into the box before asking what they intended to do with them. “Eat ‘em”, he replied. “Jambalaya,” I asked. The appeared to confuse him as it took a while for a reply of “um, yeah”

He asked if I had had any bites and after I said no and that I was still too early and this I was going to drink a beer and wait, he asked, “What kind?” “Dale’s Pale Ale,” I replied. “Never heard of it,” “he said. He indicated that he wouldn't mind trying one, I said show me some ID and I'll give you one. He sheepishly back down.

I asked how much his friend’s ticket was. “Sixty dollars!, first offense, that warden said he knew both of us, but we’ve never been in trouble before.”

The carrot top kid who got the ticket started asking about fly fishing and said that he would like to get a fly rod and learn. “Is it hard to cast,” he asked. I explained a bit about it and said he should check out the local chapter of TU and get a guy named Doug to help him out.

Sometime after I returned he told me that he had been coming to this spot for ten years since he was nine years old. He asked how long I’d been fishing and he as a bit surprised that I said I’d been fishing this river for 24 years. “Do you mind if I ask how old you are,” he inquired. “Im 62, why,” I stated. “How old do you think I act,” I asked. “oh maybe 40 or so”, he remarked. I laughed and moved on telling them about the caddis flies and how trout can focus in on one thing. He said, “like a man!” and laughed. “Yeah, like that,” I chuckled. The carrot top kid who got the ticket started asking about fly fishing and said that he would like to get a fly rod and learn. “Is it hard to cast,” he asked. I explained a bit about it and said he should check out the local chapter of TU and get a guy named Doug to help him out.

The bugs were swarming and the bait remaining chucker caught a large sucker as I moved out into the riffle. "It's a trout," he exclaimed as he held it up for the others to admire. "It's not a trout, ain't got no spots," his friends replied. The caddis were swarming up the river and a few fish began to rise. The boys wished me luck and they took off.

I heard them throw some gravel as they took off and that is exactly when I hooked my first fish of the evening. I fished on till it was dark and the fish stopped rising. Last fish of the day came to hand a 8:04 beating last evening by 12 minutes.

Image[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:02 pm

[report]2017 -30

]Drove on up to puneville to help a lurker “B” do some kick sampling of the river. Our friend Al was there too.

Lurker “B” taking water temperature and recording measurements

Pickin off some bugs

sow bug...

More didymo than bugs

Recording observations while standing in the stream

Documenting the collection of bugs

Stone and mayflies

caddisflies

May apples

Termite?? Think the trouts were keying in on these…

May apple blossom

Busy bees, hey Dougfish, what kind of tree is this?

caddisfly

Having a lunch break at the homestead..

Cheers!

After lunch we moved on down to another location and fished first before kicking up some samples.

I fished a dry, it was challenging but I managed 8 punes to hand…

Obligatory gear shot!

Stomach pump samples for research.. mostly nymphs, but the occasional sulfur dun.

Al went upstream and I took a beer break after catching sample subjects for the lurker.

Invasive or native, I don’t have a clue…
update:
Tiarella cordifolia L. heartleaf foamflower

But I do know that these bluebells are native.

More research

Al enjoying the day…

And more punes to hand

What a crew…

After splitting up I cooked up some dinner and drank beer and thought about making another trip to Alaska…

About 30 minutes out I lost a serpentine belt, and waited by the side of the road.

Turned out that the water pump had failed and will be repaired under warranty.[/report]
Last edited by woolly bugger on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
me "There's a season???"

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:14 pm

Drove right through turdville on SaTURDay with Theron. It never ceases to amaze me how NASCAR has such a huge following. Fuckin' 'Muricans...
Good to see ole boy Al, Troutfanatic and ya biopsying the invasives. Is the plan to erradicate browns there and reintroduce the black nose dace and brookies? That would be great. :cool
knock up a shop owners daughter. drake dudes will send money.

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:19 am

[report]2017 – 31

Two tow truck rides and a day and a half getting the CR-V repaired and I was back on the road Saturday, a quick run up to fish with the Slimy
hooker. He brought along his new friend.

The river was up from the recent rain. We thought it would be good, it wasn’t

I wandered around the woods hoping to find some mushrooms, I didn’t.

But there was beer.

We were going to move to another spot, my phone rang, and text messages pinged in.

Awe, crap, gotta run back into town! I sent a text to the Slimy hooker, “gotta take care of some crap, might be back, might not”

An hour later I dropped off the keys that I had run out of town with and flipped a coin, by the time I got back to the river it was getting late and I waited for the caddis and the fish to do their thing. I was a bit stressed out by the double drive and tried to shake it off, I didn’t fish well for a while, probably should have stayed home and tied flies.

I caught a few but it was way short of spectacular.

A local frien showed up with his daughter and we talked for a while, even caught an early sulfur, before they headed off for some ice cream cones at the local dairy bar.

I caught a few fish and that was that.

Image[/report]

[report]2017 – 32

Went back for more dry fly action in the late afternoon. I whacked the punes for an hour right at the put in before moving up to another run. As I stepped in I realized I low holed another angler, but upstream dry fly has the right of way over the downstream nympher. He left the water to me and I caught more punes on the surface.

The fish stopped rising and I went back to the car for a beer and to wait for the evening rise. The nympher came up from downstream and we talked for a while as I waited. The caddis began to swarm upstream in small but steady clouds and a few fish rose. I waded in, the sun setting, the sky growing darker, still I waited for a fish to rise. I managed to tag three in a row but they unbuttoned. Soon it was too dark to see the fly and then it was all over.

The nympher showed me his go to fly a modified Prince nymph with dubbing instead of peacock herl.

Image[/report]

[report]2017 – 33

Tied up some rusty spinners during lunch break, got tired of working and left a bit early to hit the river again. Very few bugs and the caddis may be done.

Image[/report]

[report]2017 – 34

Got off to a semi early start on my now annual James River Shad trip, Fred wanted to get an early start, so I was driving up the night before. Called the Slimy hooker to check on the white bass, “I’m going there now,” he replied. Then this.

A bus had tangled with at least two cars and the outer left lanes were shut down backing up traffic for miles. That added an hour to the trip. When I got to the river, Slimy hooker was already slaying the bass.

I should have remembered to put on a sinking line, but I managed to catch a few, about one for every three or four that Slimy hooker was catching. Pink and white turned out to be right. It was time for me to hit the road, so I said goodbye and started wading out, but stopped and fished one last spot where three more came to hand.

Took some pics on the walk out.

Image[/report]

[report]2017 – 35

Fred sent an update, “be at the ramp and 5:45”, up at 4:30, I headed off to breakfast, the local hardee’s was to open at five! The lights came on but nobody was home so, I hit road and stopped at another spot – drive thru only! Oh well, I’ll be a bit early, I thought. I took the exit and pulled in behind two towed boats. That looks like Fred! Then I ran through some straw as it blew across the road. Weird, I was thinking just as the blue lights of a cop car came racing up behind. He did a u-turn and headed back out to the interstate. I pulled into the ramp right behind Fred and we were the second boat to launch. Fred told me about a harrowing experience on the ride in. Bales of hay had fallen off a truck and in the predawn darkness he had run through several wads of hay. Scary but no damage. I figured, that cop was going to help with that situation…

We anchored up at 5:49 and waited a bit before the catching began. Fred has this fishery dialed in. He was catching about two or three to one on me. By nine I had about 20 to the boat and Fred might probably had 50! Many other boats appeared all around us with several anchoring is so close you could easily have dropped a fly in their boat! The wind was blowing from the east and the boats were all swinging around on the slack tide. Of all the boats, and we counted as many as 25, we were catching and the others were fishing.

The city lights

Predawn coffee

Many fish were caught before the sun broke the horizon

I took a few pics of them

Fun size fish.

Some of the boats in this urban setting. A number of truckers tooted their horn in approval as they passed over on I-95.

10 AM beer break!

It was crowded for Thursday!

Things finally began to slow way way down and we moved around a bit, found many perch hotspots.

The sun had finally come out in full force and the wind had died down, we’d been on the water for about eight hours. The day was starting to take its toll on us. We anchored up in one last spot where Fred was sure that we could find an American. I was cutting out wind knots and Fred asked about my leader. “12 lb,” I said. “No, you should be using 6,” he exclaimed, “you’ll catch way more and that is probably why I was catching more than you.” I tied on the lighter tipped and caught a hickory or two and then boom, my first American shad, not a big one but robust enough.

We called it a day at that point and were at the ramp around four.

After unloading and saying goodbye, we drove away and my thoughts turned to the Stone Brewery just a few miles away. I would be remiss if I didn’t stop by for a look see.

It was pretty awesome!

And so ends another day…

Image[/report]

[report]2017 – 36

I was asleep shortly after getting home from the shad trip, and up early the Friday morning and off to work. Got a good handle on the project by two in the afternoon and after taking care of a few other things headed off to the upper river to see what was up. I had a feeling that the sulfurs might be starting up.

There were a few fish rising and bwos, caddis or hendricksons and the occasional sulfur coming off. I changed patterns several times before deciding that twitching a puff daddy was the ticket. I had only two in the box, one got left in a tree and the other one finally just wore out, lost all its puff!

They were watching that fly and when it twitched they would run it down moving a foot or more to catch it!

It was a peaceful and grand evening despite the mosquitoes, and it is only going to get better in the coming weeks.[/report]

[report]2017 – 37

Worked from 8 till 1, then planned to go fish, but first a stop to tie up some puff daddies.

The biologist want us to cull the punes on the river ‘cause there are just too many fish and not enough food for them to grow at a respectable rate.

Flung the fly that was on the rod, first cast.

My happy place in 50 shades of green.

Hendricksons, sulfurs, and midges

Whacked a couple and fried ‘em up

Coming into town at about 9:45, I hit Business 40 west, a.k.a. Salem Parkway or old I-40 and just after I got going down the hill just past the 5th street exit where there is a concrete wall dividing east and west lanes, I'm traveling in the right lane at about 65 mph and I see the car up ahead in the left lane veer suddenly into the right lane, and I see a car traveling the wrong direction on the shoulder next to the wall. Holy crap! I was getting ready to call 911 when all sorts of cops were headed down the east bound side ....[/report]
me "There's a season???"

Bobwhite

Post by Bobwhite » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:16 am

ASB
"Why in the fuck did I miss this place? It's like missing a raging case of the clap."

"Make it matter, fuckos." jhnnythndr

" Herre jävlar vilka fiskar!!" P-A

"I'm no saint though, nor a judge. Rock that shit good and hard, and on your way out, wipe your dick on the curtains." - Kyner

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 am

[report]

The Bootleg Bootleg Podcast: That 70’s Episode

2017 – 38

Early call this morning for a Project Impact Annual Meeting. got me up at 5:30 and the meeting was over by 10:30. I was on the road to my local pune filled river. I iced up the Yeti with plans to harvest a limit of 6 for da Spork’s smoker. There were two cars in the lot when I arrived one guy came out as I was suiting up. “See any sulfurs?” I inquired as I continued to pull my waders on. “I don’t know any bugs, I was fishing a Mr. Rapidan and a Pheasant Tail. Caught 4 on the top and one on the nymph. What’s a sulfur?” he asked. I was shaking my head to myself while forming a reply, “Little yellow bugs!” I exclaimed. I stashed a few ice cold brews in my vest and headed off to the stream as I wished the other angler a good afternoon.
I was a bit cloudy and I was wondering if the bugs would come off this afternoon. I walked among the trees along the bank searching for morels among the may apples. None were to be found, and when I stepped into the water a bit above my favorite I saw another fisherman working my run. Awe crap, hmmm, he’s moving on downstream, I’ll just drink a beer and wait for him to get off of my water.

So I sat down and popped open a Ballast Point Grunion Pale Ale (91 BA Score) and watched the water for rising fish and bugs while keeping an eye on the other angler. I think he was swinging a nymph or soft hackle and I didn’t see him land a fish. I rinsed the empty beer can with river water and stashed it in my vest as I waded out into stream. Worked the same fly that was still on my line from the other day. Got a fish to rise but it missed the fly and I worked from near to far. Dropped the fly in to the eddy up against the far bank and a trout turned and chased it down as I twitched it. It was about 3 o’clock and the sulfurs were starting to pop off in sparse numbers, but the trouts were apparently looking for them and they couldn’t resist the twitched fly.

I just couldn’t bring myself to kill these little jewels..

Probably the best fish of the day…

Nice spot!

After catching close to three dozen of these punes I called it quits and headed on home for the trifecta.

I just love these old trees along the river bank.

[/report]
me "There's a season???"

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:10 am

He who goes furshin with the intention of killing punes shall catch even smaller punes. :wink
Where are the blek nose dace, bray?
knock up a shop owners daughter. drake dudes will send money.

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 am

Transylwader wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:10 am
He who goes furshin with the intention of killing punes shall catch even smaller punes. :wink
Where are the blek nose dace, bray?
Beats fishing the retention ponds!
IMG_4267.JPG
IMG_4267.JPG (558.29 KiB) Viewed 444 times
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu May 04, 2017 9:09 am

5-4-1970

[report]

2017 – 39

“Be at the put-in at 7 am” “Otay den”

On the road at a quarter to five!

I’ve never had much luck on this river. Rain was coming, the opened the damn dam.
River rose. Only fish caught were, “not worthy” of a photograph.

We cast our arms off, to no avail…

[/report]

[report]

2017 – 40

Tried to visit an old friend, but road construction blocked access, what the hell, Plan B.

Never been here before, don’t know why, I thought it was further away. Easy access too, maybe too easy as a half dozen cars were at the trail-head. Tied on a EHC, damn 14 foot leader is a bitch on this creek. Retied on a seven and a half footer. Bam, bam, bam. Wasn’t exactly easy wading finding fish, but there were there in all the right places. Pune bows and an occasional brook trout. Nice place, didn’t see another fisherman. Photo dump…

Plenty more to explore in there, I’ll be back…

[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Fri May 05, 2017 11:59 am

[report]

2017 – 41

2 am Charlie Horse had me jumping out of bed left a pain in the calf muscle, wasn't sure if I needed more abuse today but after the coffee kicked in I found myself headed off in a different direction. Water was up and it was much cooler, so no wet wading today.

UFO (unidentified flowering object

Up and over the hump, walking the path less traveled

Love the canopy

And the ferns

And fungi

Looked peaceful and I started off with a dry…

Only fish interested in the dryfly

Water was really pumping and up six to eight inches but running clear. About par for the day… ;-)

snad

Fish snad

Kept looking for slower pools, but every time I scrambled up further I was met with swift water. I swear the fish were hanging out under the rocks.

DSFK

Cheers!

Another 1” of rain last night has the river up outta their banks again…

[/report]
me "There's a season???"