stolen hours - TR(s)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
woolly bugger

Re: stolen hours - TR(s)

Post by woolly bugger » Wed May 10, 2017 9:35 am

[report]

2017 – 42

No work today, so I headed off to a local stream that isn’t affected by all the rain we’ve receive in the last month. It was cloudy and showers were in the forecast for the morning with temps in the low to mid 50s. I hit the road and listened to chapter III of S-town podcast. Everything was green, greener than ever. The full canopy of the forest blocked what little light there was and tinted it green. The battery in the TG-1 had drained, I must have left the GPS on. So, I resorted to the iPhone to capture the day. Enjoy!

Nymphed most of the day, but when I got up to some of the longer pools I noticed a riser, when I saw another I clipped of the Tellico and tied on the smallest sulfur I had in the box. This is the first time I’ve witnessed a hatch on this river with steady risers. Gave me a chubby! It was on for the next half hour!

EFTing grand day! d:b

[/report]
ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu May 11, 2017 9:26 am

[report]

2017 – 43

Went back in to see if I could get a repeat on the dry fly action. Had to finish up a project in the morning so I arrived late, two dude had gotten there before me. I figured that they started low so I hightailed it up to the end of the trail. Soon discovered foot prints and I realized I made the wrong choice. I continued on taking pictures and enjoyed a hike on the stream. Caught a few punes, but fishing this creek behind someone is pure folly. Spied them coming back downstream, sat on a log and took a break, dude walked right pass me, almost called out but didn’t want to give him a heart attack. Second dude came down on my side and we talked for a bit. I asked how far they had gone, thinking I might still have a chance at some undisturbed water, but I was getting late, so I headed back. Around 4 there were squadrons of giant stoneflies moving upstream and up into the tall trees. After a while I stopped at the pools where the bugs had come off the other day. Nothing. Waited for another half hour, still nothing. Awe crap. No little yellow bugs today. Yesterday cloudy and in the 50s, today mostly sunny and upper 70s.

Highholer #1

DSFK

[/report]
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun May 14, 2017 8:09 am

[report]

2017 -44

It didn’t look like the forecast of 73 and sunny as we suffered through a cool and drizzly morning without seeing any carp or hearing many of the brood vi cicada. But gradually the skies cleared and the volume of the chirping reached 72 db. As the day wore on the action heated up and more and more carp were spotted.

Waiting for a ride with the essentials

Brood VI

36 lbs.

30 lbs

My fortune from dinner on the way home.

[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu May 25, 2017 8:39 am

2017 – 45

This is the 18th year of the semi-annual Psycho Fly Fishing gatherings, I’ve been to a lot of them over the years, missed too many, so I made an extra effort to be there all four days this year, but when Rhody called and said “lets chase some cicada eating carp” I headed a little further west.

We saw plenty of carp, but most weren’t interested in eating naturals or our imitations. We both hooked into some large commons that took us to the trees and broke us off. The wind picked up and that didn’t help, but we had beer!
Maybe we were on the wrong part of the lake, but finally I hooked into a large grassie, thirty-six inches long with a Buddha belly, it weighed in at thirty plus pounds.

With thunderstorms popping up we called it a day and I drove on to the PFF in Shady Valley.

Last edited by woolly bugger on Sun May 28, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu May 25, 2017 5:00 pm

[report]

2017 – 46, 47

I rolled into camp of the 35th PFF, as the sun was setting, and ran into the old gang, there were quite a few old timers among the 30 or so fishermen, damn we’re getting old. Kyle and Maniac talked me into a floaty trip for the next day. There was kind of a pot luck dinner thing going on with gourmet hot dogs, beans and fixins. Then everybody set about talkin and drinkin, over the years I’ve learned my limits so I crashed around midnight and left the pros around the campfire. The whooped and hollered into the wee hours and then piled into what I called “The circus tent!”

Friday morning we headed to the crossroads and had some breakfast at the local. Then we worked out the shuttle and I drove off following Maniac and Kyle. Shortly after hitting the blacktop, the truck swerved off the road and at first I thought they were going to lose the truck, then the boat and trailer swung over and then I thought they were going to lose the boat, but the Maniac held it together and I backed off a bit.

Plan was to take out at the lack and float from the dam, pushing through the top and concentrating on the lower sections where there was sure to be less traffic.

Tied on a fly that was tied for a drake swap and tied by WB25, it was a black and nasty articulated Galloup pattern, like a boogieman. It fished well and brought the only fish to the boat along with two follows. We were getting to the planned fishing sections when the sound of thunder came from over the ridge and soon we were seeking the shore to wait out the storm.

There were a lot of other boats on the water, but nobody reported having a bang up day.

Yea, we’re in East Tennessee

Kyle was dreaming of sleeping on that sofa

It ended like this

[vimeo]2z19008521[/vimeo]
(report tag not working, vimeo tag not working, WTF?)
https://vimeo.com/219008521
"We're going to die on the damn south Holston" - kyle

Maniac stated, “don’t worry, I can row out from here in an hour”.

“it’ll take longer than that”

“wanna bet?”

“Sure, I’ll bet a beer” and we shook on it as I set the timer on the phone.

Fifty-nine minutes and forty-seven seconds later the boat hit the shore at the take-out!

We left Kyle sleeping in the boat while we fetched the trailer and I headed back to camp.

It looked like this:

During the night the wind blew with freight train noise and rattled tents and nerves, several ditched their tents for the security of their trucks.

Al the stomp was consumed.

And breakfast was cooking.

“Chow” was called and then came..

The only gal amongst us, Peggy, held her own around the campfire, but the moonshine took it’s toll and she had to take a nap along the stream while fishing
later in the afternoon.

FT Caddis, a cancer survivor, made the trip.

PHG pontificating

Hot or mild

Get in line

Now I know where I’ll go.

The owner of 26 Acres Brewer showed up, but failed to bring any product, bad form IMHO!

Then I went fishing on a freestone, caught fish, but I was still wobbly from the night before, so I headed back to camp for some doghair.

That night it rained like hell, many a tent succumbed to the torrents. I bailed at four AM, the tape on the seams has failed and I couldn’t find a drip free area in the tent.

A few guys missed the 8:30 photo session and a few more rolled in during the night.

It continued to rain through Sunday morning and I hit the road as the cook tent crew headed off to breakfast at the crossroads restaurant.

[/report]
me "There's a season???"