stolen hours - TR(s)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
woolly bugger

Re: stolen hours - TR(s)

Post by woolly bugger » Wed May 10, 2017 9:35 am

[report]

2017 – 42

No work today, so I headed off to a local stream that isn’t affected by all the rain we’ve receive in the last month. It was cloudy and showers were in the forecast for the morning with temps in the low to mid 50s. I hit the road and listened to chapter III of S-town podcast. Everything was green, greener than ever. The full canopy of the forest blocked what little light there was and tinted it green. The battery in the TG-1 had drained, I must have left the GPS on. So, I resorted to the iPhone to capture the day. Enjoy!

Nymphed most of the day, but when I got up to some of the longer pools I noticed a riser, when I saw another I clipped of the Tellico and tied on the smallest sulfur I had in the box. This is the first time I’ve witnessed a hatch on this river with steady risers. Gave me a chubby! It was on for the next half hour!

EFTing grand day! d:b

[/report]
ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu May 11, 2017 9:26 am

[report]

2017 – 43

Went back in to see if I could get a repeat on the dry fly action. Had to finish up a project in the morning so I arrived late, two dude had gotten there before me. I figured that they started low so I hightailed it up to the end of the trail. Soon discovered foot prints and I realized I made the wrong choice. I continued on taking pictures and enjoyed a hike on the stream. Caught a few punes, but fishing this creek behind someone is pure folly. Spied them coming back downstream, sat on a log and took a break, dude walked right pass me, almost called out but didn’t want to give him a heart attack. Second dude came down on my side and we talked for a bit. I asked how far they had gone, thinking I might still have a chance at some undisturbed water, but I was getting late, so I headed back. Around 4 there were squadrons of giant stoneflies moving upstream and up into the tall trees. After a while I stopped at the pools where the bugs had come off the other day. Nothing. Waited for another half hour, still nothing. Awe crap. No little yellow bugs today. Yesterday cloudy and in the 50s, today mostly sunny and upper 70s.

Highholer #1

DSFK

[/report]
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun May 14, 2017 8:09 am

[report]

2017 -44

It didn’t look like the forecast of 73 and sunny as we suffered through a cool and drizzly morning without seeing any carp or hearing many of the brood vi cicada. But gradually the skies cleared and the volume of the chirping reached 72 db. As the day wore on the action heated up and more and more carp were spotted.

Waiting for a ride with the essentials

Brood VI

36 lbs.

30 lbs

My fortune from dinner on the way home.

[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu May 25, 2017 8:39 am

2017 – 45

This is the 18th year of the semi-annual Psycho Fly Fishing gatherings, I’ve been to a lot of them over the years, missed too many, so I made an extra effort to be there all four days this year, but when Rhody called and said “lets chase some cicada eating carp” I headed a little further west.

We saw plenty of carp, but most weren’t interested in eating naturals or our imitations. We both hooked into some large commons that took us to the trees and broke us off. The wind picked up and that didn’t help, but we had beer!
Maybe we were on the wrong part of the lake, but finally I hooked into a large grassie, thirty-six inches long with a Buddha belly, it weighed in at thirty plus pounds.

With thunderstorms popping up we called it a day and I drove on to the PFF in Shady Valley.

Last edited by woolly bugger on Sun May 28, 2017 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu May 25, 2017 5:00 pm

[report]

2017 – 46, 47

I rolled into camp of the 35th PFF, as the sun was setting, and ran into the old gang, there were quite a few old timers among the 30 or so fishermen, damn we’re getting old. Kyle and Maniac talked me into a floaty trip for the next day. There was kind of a pot luck dinner thing going on with gourmet hot dogs, beans and fixins. Then everybody set about talkin and drinkin, over the years I’ve learned my limits so I crashed around midnight and left the pros around the campfire. The whooped and hollered into the wee hours and then piled into what I called “The circus tent!”

Friday morning we headed to the crossroads and had some breakfast at the local. Then we worked out the shuttle and I drove off following Maniac and Kyle. Shortly after hitting the blacktop, the truck swerved off the road and at first I thought they were going to lose the truck, then the boat and trailer swung over and then I thought they were going to lose the boat, but the Maniac held it together and I backed off a bit.

Plan was to take out at the lack and float from the dam, pushing through the top and concentrating on the lower sections where there was sure to be less traffic.

Tied on a fly that was tied for a drake swap and tied by WB25, it was a black and nasty articulated Galloup pattern, like a boogieman. It fished well and brought the only fish to the boat along with two follows. We were getting to the planned fishing sections when the sound of thunder came from over the ridge and soon we were seeking the shore to wait out the storm.

There were a lot of other boats on the water, but nobody reported having a bang up day.

Yea, we’re in East Tennessee

Kyle was dreaming of sleeping on that sofa

It ended like this

[vimeo]2z19008521[/vimeo]
(report tag not working, vimeo tag not working, WTF?)
https://vimeo.com/219008521
"We're going to die on the damn south Holston" - kyle

Maniac stated, “don’t worry, I can row out from here in an hour”.

“it’ll take longer than that”

“wanna bet?”

“Sure, I’ll bet a beer” and we shook on it as I set the timer on the phone.

Fifty-nine minutes and forty-seven seconds later the boat hit the shore at the take-out!

We left Kyle sleeping in the boat while we fetched the trailer and I headed back to camp.

It looked like this:

During the night the wind blew with freight train noise and rattled tents and nerves, several ditched their tents for the security of their trucks.

Al the stomp was consumed.

And breakfast was cooking.

“Chow” was called and then came..

The only gal amongst us, Peggy, held her own around the campfire, but the moonshine took it’s toll and she had to take a nap along the stream while fishing
later in the afternoon.

FT Caddis, a cancer survivor, made the trip.

PHG pontificating

Hot or mild

Get in line

Now I know where I’ll go.

The owner of 26 Acres Brewer showed up, but failed to bring any product, bad form IMHO!

Then I went fishing on a freestone, caught fish, but I was still wobbly from the night before, so I headed back to camp for some doghair.

That night it rained like hell, many a tent succumbed to the torrents. I bailed at four AM, the tape on the seams has failed and I couldn’t find a drip free area in the tent.

A few guys missed the 8:30 photo session and a few more rolled in during the night.

It continued to rain through Sunday morning and I hit the road as the cook tent crew headed off to breakfast at the crossroads restaurant.

[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Tue May 30, 2017 4:09 pm

2017- 48

With all the rain it's been difficult to find a close by stream to fish so when the spokananator said "let's do a bike and fish on the whitetop" I was in.

But he couldn't leave until afternoon and we had to stop and pick up and load the bikes.

I think we got on the steam before 4! Since the river was running at a boisterous level we thought we'd have great success with streamers on sinking lines!

Spork hooked into a rainbow that was just out of he pine category while I struggled to find a fish.

Saw some green drakes and small stones flying around. I got into some decent water and had a nice brown hot the streamer as it hit the water! Bam, bam! But it missed the hook. Next cast the fish turned on the slumpbuster and missed again!

In that same run I turned another one and had a short strike by a third fish.

After biking down aways we decided to head back switching over to nymphs and hitting some of the same runs I finally manages to land a pune brown, the Spork had three or four on the day. There were some coffin flies landing on the water but I never saw a rise and thought that there was too much water flowing through the gorge for the fish to really be looking up. Back in Winston just after ten!

No camera with me, just the GoPro so here is a crappy video of the day!

https://vimeo.com/219543910

Although he day barely got into the 70s we wet waded, I only mention that because on the way out we saw a local fly fisherman wearing neoprene chest waders!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:01 am

2017 - 49

Gauge is 350cfs lowest in months, mo better for wading, got there about 4is, sulfurs were poppin and fish be rising. Had to bail at 6:30, caught about 20 punes, all on the surface. It was fun to target and connect. Will be going back this afternoon and staying late.

DSFK

Whoa, fresh DSFK!
This one is pining for the fjords.

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:19 am

2017 - 50

Back for the sulfurs, arrived just before 2:00 and there was a jeep and another car in the lot with two guys gearing up. Didn't want them to get to my spot so I suited up in my new Chesties for some deep wading in the slough, not too many bugs and fewer risers but they were lookin up and the dry fly cast in a likely spot would entice a strike. Did that until I was tired of catching 'em, moved on down to more difficult water and challenge my self to catch the little fuckers the were rising under the rhodo on the far bank, the games we play! Waited until dark, there was no spinner fall and it was over by 7:30ish.

What's wrong with this picture???

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:13 am

2017 – 51

I’m not going to talk about #51

https://youtu.be/SZ5TeeHEgZY?t=49m43s
Saw this group Saturday evening, worth a listen…

2017 - 52

Four cars in the lot, and a fifth pulled in as I was gearing up, I haven’t seen this many anglers on the river in a long long time. As I walked along the path a pair of bluebirds tree hopped their way down to the river. I jumped in at my new “high water” spot and realized that I might have high holed a young dude, but the fish were rising in good numbers. I hooked a fish on my “first cast” and proceeded to catch fish after fish. Picking off the targeted risers one by one. I took a beer break and watched the dude downstream who was not having any luck and when he got close enough I shouted out “What are you fishing?” “A Mr. Rapidan, all I have is my brookie box.” “Well come on over and I’ll give you a sulfur.” He waded over and I handed him a couple of comparaduns. Brett is from Roanoke and a transplant from Michigan. I finished my beer and got back to fishing working the risers until the hatch petered out. Then I went for a look see in the woods for mushrooms before sitting down on a riverside fallen tree trunk to drink another beer and listen to the birds and enjoy the moving water.
Then two buff wearing, streamer slinging, big net carrying, fast moving, loud talking, dudes move through the run, focused on the water they didn’t even see me until they were past were I was sitting.

After they passed I got off my duff and whacked a few more fish before taking a lunch break back at the car. Off of the 50 degree water and out in the sun hiking across the corn field the heat of the day beat down and as I sat eating my snad I pondered calling it a day or heading back for the evening hatch.

Then the three dudes that I had met on the river came by and I looked at them, then at the only other car in the lot, a Fiat 500, then back at them, and said, “Did all of you ride in that?” “No”, the two streamer slingers declared, “we parked up the road about a mile. Turns out they are from Richmond and fish down this way often.

I hiked back down to the river at the bend and sat on the bank waiting for the evening rise. I may have dozed off for a bit, some bugs started popping, not many, a few fish rose, not many. Caught a few, not many. It was pretty much over at 7:30, I stayed until 9:00 just in case…

Saw about a dozen kayakers, first batch was quiet, second batch where whooping and hollering spin fishermen playing loud god-awful rap music, motherf*&%er this and ni*&er that, which destroyed the tranquility of bird songs and flowing water. Then late in the day, two youngsters floated by in tubes! Holy crap! “Do you know how far it is to the take out?” I asked. “Is there someone behind you?” “Yes” they replied as they drifted around the bend. A canoe with two “adults” came into view? “Aren’t those young’uns cold,” I asked. “Yes, they’ve been complaining and we’re going to get them,” they said as they paddled by. I hope so, I though.

Tatted up dude with the wrong flies in the background

streamer slinger #1

streamer slinger #2

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:58 pm

2017 - 53

Back to the salt mines.

NO work scheduled for the day so I tied up some ugly sulfur comparisons and then decided to hit the Smith with the new lower flow to "check things out" for a while before heading on down to CTL to pick up my son who is returning from 10 weeks in Europe where his finished up his student teaching ESL in Karlsruhe and then traveling around for a while before ending up visiting relatives in Scotland. Now he's either gong into the peach corp (Zambia) or teaching science somewhere in the U.S.

It was the earliest I had been out, arriving before noon, and was disjointed by the lack of bugs, I did pick off a few risers before moving on downstream in search of the leroy that i heard splashdown after breaching the surface chasing bugs.

I was cooler in the moring with a good cloud cover which turned into blazing sun in the later afternoon.

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:30 pm

2017 – 54

Back to puneville on a hot Father’s Day. Just me and some, oppps, 7% IPAs from Blue Mountain Brewery, the HopWork, orang-infused IPA; “Light crystal malt with a heavy hand of Simcoe, Cascade and Centennial hops complemented by natural orange flavoring.”

Fished for a couple of hours, needed to get back for some evening events, caught a baker’s dozen, two pushing 14, but one was a rainbow stogger.
My son brought me back some flies tied up by my Scottish riverkeeper relative who invented the Posh Tosh.

Things that arrive in the mail from Austria and other countries like Florida, Asheville and Oregon.

Sweet…

Story about the flies.

Iain on the River Tweed with an Atlantic from last week.

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:51 pm

2017 – 55

Asked my son if he wanted to go fishing, “yes, if it involves hiking” was his reply. Today was the day. I didn’t have any work scheduled, no surprise there and he’s just setting up interviews for job applications. Anybody need a HS Earth Science Teacher? We caught up on life during the drive up into the mountains. He didn’t really want to fish, so he brought a book. He sat and read while I worked my way upstream. A doe crossed the stream right in front of us and I caught warpaint shiners. I wasn’t too long before I caught a brown although it wasn’t a whole lot bigger that the shiners. Rhodos blooming, water was running a little stained but not too high despite all the rain, I guess it missed this watershed.

Not too many people go in here, but there are signs of other fishermen around.

This fish made the day for me. I had missed three or four others but this one was the biggest of all.

Love being up in this place.

Time to turn around.

It's amazing that I caught fish at all with the kid in tow... lil bastard would stay behind and read a chapter of Herman Hess's Siddhartha and then sneak up on me for a surprise attack....

Interesting Folded foliation in a metamorphic rock...

me "There's a season???"