stolen hours - TR(s)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
woolly bugger

Re: stolen hours - TR(s)

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:00 am

2017 -56

Planned to listen to Buckwheat Zydeco ils sont partis band in the evening so I drove on up to the local pune stream for a little fishing. Little is the key word on this stream which is overpopulated with stunted browns. Despite very little bug activity, they were willing to rise to the dry fly.

I didn’t realize that a name tag was included on the shirt.

But perhaps this NB verity pack tells the story.

A snad my son brought back from his travels.

Wheel Bug nymph on Rose of Sharon.

Catch a few punes, drink a beer, rinse and repeat.

Smells of a hint on cherry, taste with a hint of almonds, not their best IMHO.

You can hear them a few seconds before then come over the tree line. Quick action got the shot of the osprey before in made a run up the valley to the damn dam.

Drove on back, cleaned up and drove to the concert venue, only to discover that it had been rained out, so off to the bar to plan the next day trip.

2017 -57

While drinking a pint of Gibb’s Blind Man’s Holiday Pale Ale, the Slimy Hooker texted in. We couldn’t agree on a plan but I needed to tie up some flies, so I got the vice out of the CR-V and went to work.

Hit the high country and was surprised at the temps…

River wasn’t too crowed and I got there just in time for the pulse to stir up some activity. I was expecting sulfurs, they didn’t come off in any great numbers. I did spot some big fish pushing an estimated 20 to 22 inches working midges in the slack water on the far side of the current. I stalked and worked them for an hour or more without any success and finally put them down for good.

This about sums up the day so far.

New mallard family.

Hooked and LDRed a couple of fatty rainbows before getting into punes, I could have opted for a small stream closer to home or even move upstream to look for bugs, but I stuck it out, waiting hopelessly for a hatch.

But there was beer and snads and I enjoyed sitting around in the afternoon as evening approached.
Still nothing on the water and I was getting ready to call it quits when the evening pulse hit and I tied on a streamer. Hot damn, a decent brown of about 18” hit the fly.

Long drive home, got there with a few minutes left in the day.

ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:59 am

2017 – 58

TurdFurgeson called and asked if I was up for a smallie float. “hell yes,” I replied! But before we got on the road he canceled because of work and time restraints. But I had decided to wade up there anyway. On the road, just before losing cell service, he called again and was ready to go. I just about passed him at a stop n rob and we were able to work the shuttle quicker than was planned. Plan “B” was a “shorter” float of unknown distance, but we knew it was less than the 6.5 miler that was the initial float.

Not sure if the banana boat was putting the fish off of top water action, but I quickly went subsurface with a clouser. Punes came to hand readily but the bigger fish eluded the fly and the grubs that Terd, as the oarsman, tossed.

Then in the evening we switched up and he went with a sneakypete and caught a much better bass off the bank. Switching once more and now with a firetiger wiggleminnow, caught a nice rod bender which made my day…

We packed a little light on the beer for this 3 and 1/3 mile float… but had reserves at the takeout for the win.

me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:21 am

2017 - 59

Worked didn’t end until after 2, I figured I’d head to the river and fish till dark. Tire rotated, oil changed, still getting 32mpg. I listened to The Remains of Company D: A Story of the Great War Hardcover by James Carl Nelson on the road. It’s the story of the author’s grandfather and his company in the first wave of American forces in that tragic war. All he had heard were a few sentenced that were passed down over the years. “I enlisted. I went over to France. I was wounded, and I came home.” My uncle Bill, whom I’m named after at least my middle name, was in the British Calvary, and I know just about as much about his involvement in the war, just change wounded to gassed, and there you have it.

The author plays History Detective and tells the story in all too real prose. Here is a review that sums it up better than I could.
“Not since Flags of Our Fathers—no, make that, Not since Paul Fussell’s The Great War and Modern Memory—no, make that, Not ever—has an American nonfiction writer reached into history and produced a testament of young men in terrible battle with the stateliness, the mastery of cadence, the truthfulness and the muted heartbreak of James Carl Nelson in The Remains of Company D. I wish I’d had the honor of working on this book with him. But then, he didn’t need me.”---Ron Powers, New York Timesbestselling coauthor of Flags of Our Fathers and author of Mark Twain: A Life

I arrived but sat in the car listening to the end of a chapter and then suited up in the humid afternoon sun. The cold waters of the river waited my after the walk across the stunted corn field Philphott’s land. I still had a rod rigged from the smallie float and took that down with me, the wiggle minnow still attached to the leader. I waded deep out into the water, not to fish, but to cool off, there was a thick fog coming off the river that chilled the air and it felt good. There were fish rising and the birds were working the hatch along with the fish. Rig up dry flies ro what the heck, toss the willger on out into to the runs. Several fish blew up on it and I was encouraged by the activity but though I may have to tie up some on #10 hooks!

Finally I hooked an overachiever.

I scrounged through the fly box looking for an acceptable sulfur, they were all half chewed up and looking ratty as hell. I drank a beer as I rebuilt the leader to a 6.5x tippet and tied on the best of the flies, maybe I should spend the weekend tying.

They worked better that the wiggle minnow…

This is a tasty brew from Sam Adams.. jis say’in

Around a quarter till six two dudes come floating by in a rubber dingy.

“You guys every float this before?” I asked as I was a bit concerned about the late hour and the fact that they had two and half miles more to float. “No!” this is our first time! Noticing their spinning rods, I told them, “Well, I wouldn’t stop, you’ll be taking out at dark.”

The hatch had peaked around 7. I waited to see if anything would happen at dusk. I few bugs continued to pop off and the Cedar Waxwings were snatching them out of the air and amazingly picking them off the water as they emerged.

Have a happy and safe 4th!.

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:37 am

2017 - 60

More local punes ... tied up some gurglers in the morning --- hit the river before 3, one guy was just coming off the water and reported that they were starting to hit the surface .. two other cars in the lot. Hiked on in -- drank a beer and watched the water.. no risers to be seen... waded around looking for active birds... built a cairn that y'all would approve of... ate summer sausage, cheese and an apple while waiting for the hatch... picky fuckers started to rise... refusal after refusal .... missed some better fish in difficult spots... caught the usual suspects... left at sunset... all other were long gone...

Unidentified DSFK

carin coveing some sam adams ipas

sitting on the bank watching and waiting

tasty

spotted punes

came to readily to hand

time to leave

the view while walking out

No fishing on the fourth... but I did try out those gurglers on a farm pond before the fireworks started...

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:50 am

2017 – 61

Work done and no plans for dinner, I headed up to the local pune stream with plans to eat a trout streamside. Arrived around 4, two NC anglers were coming off the stream, driven off by the heat of the afternoon. They reported a good top water bite in the morning, but as I suspected that had ended many hours ago. I was hoping for some action during the evening rise. I spent some time finding and packing the pan, stove and fuel delaying the hike across the cornfield in the hot and humid afternoon. When I got to the river I unpacked and then stashed the beer in my underwater cairn, sat down and drank a beer and watched the water. The birds work lazily working the river, snatching an insect then resting on a branch while keeping an eye out for the next victim. Cedar waxwigs and an occasional cardinal were the insect feeders that I saw, but when walking out I startled a large bird in the brush which flew away in a panic rustling feathers and leaves and startling me!

Green drakes were coming off in small numbers and I tried the three patterns that I had, getting only one fish to strike. Back to sulfurs, they didn’t really start hatching in any significant numbers unit after 6, so while waiting I cooked up a fish for dinner along with onion and garlic.

A dozen new sulfurs flies were left in the CR-V and I was forced to use the battered and ugly ones that were left stuck on my vest, but they were enough and got the job done. Note to self: tie up more puff daddies.

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:51 am

2017 - 62 or 63, not sure, my GF says that the LMB that I caught at lunch break on the local pond should count. Yes or no?

Worked in the morning, worked out in the afternoon, back on the waterrower, and fishing in the evening. I’m zeroing in on the time I need to get on the river to play the dry fly game I left after four and started listening to The Lost City of Z by David Grann for the 90 minute drive. No need to get on the water before 6 and the real action doesn’t start until 7 or 7:30 and last for about an hour stopping just before it’s too dark to see.

After hiking in I waded out to cool off and there were fish rising in the flats above the run. Managed to get one to take the sulfur comparadun and then moved on down to the spot where I like to sit on the bank. Popped the top on a Founders All Day IPA and stashed to others in the river, which is flowing at the ideal IPA serving temperature of 54 degrees.

Had a snad of Stilton Blue and summer sausage left over from Saturday Night Summer Sumer Concert Series @Barber Park, The Ends and Phil Cook were the scheduled acts. The Ends were fantastic but Phil ruled the evening, unfortunately cut short when lightening filled the air.

The bugs started to pop but the fish were reluctant to rise, picked off a few here and there.

What’s up with the highlight yellow stripe on the chin?

Time for another beer and take a few photos while waiting for the hatch to really take off…

Then back to catching more of the rising punes.

Fished on till a quarter till nine.

2017- 62

local pond open 9 - 5 is C&R, hit it on the way back from lunch. Top water wasn't working so on the way out I switched over to a clouser, boom!
lmb.jpg
lmb.jpg (212.21 KiB) Viewed 707 times
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:33 am

2017 – 64

Well it’s been a while.. but I’m back at it… life surprises us in many ways and I got hit with one this past month. My mom took a header into a night stand, knocked herself out, suffered a nice 5 stitch gash, and a subdural hematoma. That lead to four days in the hospital, mostly for observation, but that left my 92 year old dad alone at home. So after running back and forth for days looking after both of them, mom finally came home and is gradually regaining her normal strength and is able to take care of dad. So I’ve been busy driving them to dr appts, doing there laundry and shopping.

At the same time my son, who recently got his teaching certificate and returned from Germany where he did part of his student teaching and visited relatives in Scotland after touring Europe, took a job at the River City Academy in Soldotna, Alaska. He just flew in last night and new teacher orientation started on Friday.

So with everything finally under control, I slipped out of town and went fishing

The fish were cooperating and a dozen came to hand. The day started out cool but quickly warmed up and the humidity dampened my shirt in short order. One of my honey holes in almost unfishable now that two trees have been blown down across the middle of it. I duck under one and stand between the two trunks, and manage to flip the fly into the head where there is usually a good trout laying in the current break, I see the trout follow the fly and I set the hook! The fly ends up in a tree above the pool and as I wrestle it out of the terminal twigs, the pool is spooked, and I crawl out and over the rocks and move on to the next challenge.

I fished the lower reach and a bit beyond the end of the trail, but I needed to get back and will plan to make a push back into the middle section when the weather cools off a bit.

Capturing the reflections…

I like these rocks, just can’t capture this image the way I see it.. need a wider angel lens to capture it all

Mostly punes

Looks like this could be streambred???

For those that drink while fishing…

A pune, but the light and the water make this picture

A dark brown

Peanut butter cracker snad

Some fungus

Oh snap!

Shot the butterfly for the new GF, she’s so not into fishing…

2017 – 64

Friday. Work in the morning, actually finished up early, ran some errands, and then… well why not run up to the river and fish till dark, grabbed some food for the cooler and hit the road. Currently listening to Charlie Wilson’s War, saw the movie but the book filled with decades of background history of all the players. I had been out the night before with a friend to see Monty Python and the Holy Grail on the big screen at the historic Carolina Theatre. The crowd was huge and responsive and I often caught myself in uncontrollable laughing fits. After movie drinks and then a trip to the boxcar arcade for some pinball.

When I arrived at the parking lot, there was one car there and I turned off the car, put the seat back and dozed off for a bit, last night was catching up with me. When awoke, the other fisherman was packing up his gear. I hopped out and asked him the usual questions, “Catch many? On the surface? BWOs or Sulfurs?” He replied that he only caught three punes, smaller than average at about 6”, wished he could stay but had other obligations….

Suited up, packed in a few beers and walked in across the corn field, stopping to take a pic of some new fungi.

Didn’t see any risers and the flow at 260 was a bit much for the section I had targeted. Saw a few bugs coming off, and a trout rose. Tried a coupled of bwo patterns, switched to a puff daddy and wham!

This fish fought a hard for its size I would have thought it would have got 10 or 12 inches easily…

Oh, crap, THUNDER, oh crap, it’s coming over the ridge, oh crap, time to put the rain jacket on! Oh crap, now it’s coming down hard!

Drank a couple of beers slowly waiting to see if the storm would blow over..

Finally a break in the weather, but I couldn’t get the fish to cooperate before the creek upsteam began to muddy up the water, I called it quits and headed on home

me "There's a season???"

Genome

Post by Genome » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:18 pm

I don't take this thread for granted
:cool

Kfoxwyo

Post by Kfoxwyo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:55 pm

So Sweeet.
Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need-a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing.
-Jerome K. Jerome, 1889

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:58 am

2017 – 65

The Spork and I were supposed to go chase after some prehistoric fish in eastern NC, but when a seat in a boat became available, I bailed on that trip. What a difference a day can make. Friday float planned but with a catch, we would be putting in behind a guide who would have been of the river five days straight.. So we figured that it would difficult following after him and we might not get the top water action we were looking for. So Plan B was implemented, it required a longer drive and an earlier start. At the take out at 7:15, boat in the water thirty minutes later. First beer cracked before eight. What we didn’t realize was that we would be riding a cold water pulse for the next eight hours. “I thought it took three days for the water to get here, not two.” At first the river rose then it turned muddy and as it began to fall we were left with grass floating everywhere fowling the flies on almost every cast and it was hot. Still in the morning shade I broke a sweat casting! Once the sun rose above the trees it really got hot and any breeze felt hotter that the air around us. Around 10 we realized that things weren’t looking good and we had better ration our beer. (we drank the last ones around noon) With a severe afternoon thunderstorm warning we planned to be off the water early and I was headed home in the rush hour traffic.

2017 – 66

Headed up the escarpment to search for some wild browns in an area that we hadn’t fished before but we had some intel on and some photographic evidence that lead one to believe that the fishing might actually be good, I had my doubts. About half way, the Spork cried out, “Damn, I forgot a rod!” “Who do we know up this way,” I asked. Eric with a K! So a quick phone call and a 15 minute detour saved us from backtracking home. The water was a bit stained from the rain overnight and we thought we’d be on fish before too long, but that was not the case. After a few false leads, we finally got into some of the more remote waters and finally started to see some fish. The sporkster managed to get three fish to hit, but pulled the trigger too quick and at the end of the day we were skunked.

Tight cover required bow and arrow cast.

No fish, so photo flowers…

And moss…

And more flowers…

“Stop, back-up and park!”

Watch where you’re walking!

Big fish of the day!

The spork has a score to settle, I may not go back!

me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:52 pm

2017 – 67

Good weekend flows and a chance with the cooler weather to explore with some streamers lead me to a cantankerous river. Threw a bunch of different streamer junk on the old streamer express but failed to entice a strike. But there were flowers and fungi to photograph.

Drove back over an hour, stopped for a half hour… did I leave my lights on? CR-V wouldn’t start, jumped it and it’s been doing fine since. Had the battery checked and she’s ok, dunno what the hell happened…

2017 – 68

Needed a tug, went for the sure thing. A couple of hours in the evening to relax, reflect, drink a couple of beers and catch a few fish.

Happy Place

Jr. Pune on a dry fly

The Corn Moon over my sholder, it was big and bright and almost full.

2017 – 69

Back to puneville for an evening hatch. Goldfinches flew out of the brush at the edge of the field as I walked to the river. Cedar waxwings were having an evening snack of yellow drakes and blue winged olives, and dragonflies snatched emergers off the surface as they struggled in the film.

Bugs hatched, fish rose, beer drank, fish caught, pretty much in that order…

Poured a sip going in for all of those ravaged by the hurricanes of 2017.

2017 - 70

I’ve not been driven to fish too much lately, work and a women are balancing out my life, I’m way behind my planned 10 days a month and don’t know if I’ll hit the arbitrary goal of 120 days this year.

Monday, finishing up work for the day just before lunch, and was thinking about running up to the home waters for some pune brown trout action and was headed home to pick up some gear when the phone rang. It was Eric with a K asking what was up and he suggested an interesting plan to hit some new water in search of some potential brown trout on streamers. This is a little western drainage river and with the cool weather and threatening remnants of Irma darkening the skies, we figures there was a chance at a big streamer eater…

Access by farm road..

Good looking water….

Eric with a K was the first to score with a smallie and then a rainbow

Fish were holding deep in the slower pools…

I got into a handful of smallies…

As we were walking back upstream I called out, “Look, a turtle!” and Eric with a K jumped and said I thought it was going to be a snake!

The drive out…

A buck and a couple of does in the corn.

Till next time...
Last edited by woolly bugger on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
me "There's a season???"

The Po Thead

Post by The Po Thead » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:23 pm

So much goodness.

Cheers!
"Fuck life is brutal, and the learning curve hard and unforgiving." - SLSS