stolen hours - TR(s)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
woolly bugger

Re: stolen hours - TR(s)

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:58 pm

[report]2017 – 6

I was finished I tell you, finished with that project, so when I took off in the afternoon to fish puneville I wasn’t worried about stealing away a couple of hours from work. Made the drive up in an hour and change only to find the usually empty lot filled with four cars, WTF on a Thursday afternoon…, I thought about heading to another spot, but popped a beer as I wasn’t in a hurry, put the reel on ass backwards, snapped a photo and posted it, only to realize my faux pas a bit later… A spin / corn dunker dude came off the river and we talked for a while. “How’d you do?’ I enquired. “Didn’t catch any,” he replied. I asked what he was using and looked at his spinners and offered up some suggestion “Them other guys, wouldn’t say anything and gave me the evil eye,” he told me. “I got me a fly poll, but haven’t figured it out yet,” he continued. I told him to get in touch with the local TU and that there was a “Fishing with friends” event that might give him some pointers on fly fishing…

When I got to the water I realized that I had not only put the reel on assbackwards, but had posted up the pic… well at least I was drinking a beer at 1 o’clock.

Convinced that the stunted browns will still strike a streamer I tried on a small slumpbuster.

Worked the run and damn if I didn’t get lowholed, so I changed directions and went up to the slough

Caught a couple of streamer eating browns and a trespassing rainbow who moved down from the stocked waters.
Then the damn phone rang. “We need you to make a couple of changes on the show!” Fuckeity fuk fuk! Trudge back to the car and make the drive back to the office made the changes and got the file uploaded before five.

Jazz Night – beer, music, and fly tying…

Image[/report]

[report]2017 – 7

NWS alerts were popping up all day Saturday about severe thunderstorms and heavy rains, a musky float for Saturday got called off, so I drank beerz and tied flies at my new favorite local…

Frist stop was some coffee and jazz alone with Jim Harrison’s The Great Leader.

Then off to the brewery for some fly ties…and beers

woke up Sunday and looked at my options, best bet was going over the hump and fish the west slope, but I hate that drive, and they were still calling for foul weather in the afternoon, so I decided to hit the local early and toss some streamers in the grey grey skies.

Water was up a couple of inches and stained a bit more than usual with some mud pouring in from the little creeks. The air was still and it was humid with low clouds threating rain in the early light. Got a quick strike thought I had a good hook set, but the fish got off, chcking the point, I see that it’s bene bent. My bad, I had used that hook for some fly surgery and put it back in the bin, never mind, hone a new point…. That would work…. The fish that got off was just laying in the deep still water at my feet and chased after the streamer on the next cast… but she be gone gone gone.

Moved on down and down some more. The big pool looked furious with the chutes feeding together is a fast foamy current. I cast at the convergence and wham! The fish must have been not more than a half foot under the surface it struck so quickly

Hey, I know you, I caught you twenty days ago, nice to see you out and about and locking so robust! Carry on!

Caught his little sister a few cast later. Before moving on down and around. The skies lightened up a bit and the rain never came, and I was sweating a bit, too damn warm…

Fished the rest of this reach with not much more to write about. Honker bombers coming in low, whipped out the camera, missed the best shot…

And then I was done, ready to hike out and call it a day. I got to the lot and saw that the slimyhooker had arrived and must have headed on downstream… might as well go say hi… I found him fishing near the bottom and had taged a few, I went in behind and got a couple of hard bumps and saw a couple of fish give chase….

The SH said we should work this other section and we bushed whacked through the briars to get there. Deep wading revealed a nut chilling leak in the crotch along with the ones on the calf and ankle… I was pretty much done and called it a day around 3:30.. the rain and severe weather never made it up this far north, but there was plenty of trouble down in Georgia, say a prayer for those folks… and make a donation to the

American Red Cross, like I just did.[/report]
Last edited by woolly bugger on Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:41 pm

[report]2017 - 8

The question was where to have breakfast. I wanted something different and good, and I decided on Krankies, maybe Huevos Rancheros. Well damn, a traffic jam… morning traffic pile up in the left lane added about twenty minutes to the drive downtown. Finally arrived and pulled into a metered parking spot, 9:34 minutes of free time, hot damn! Coffee, and , let’s see, that grit bowl with fried eggs and greens sounds good! I finished the bowl and had a second cup of the dark roast and then headed over to my “office”. Took care of some stuff and then called to check the status of two projects that I’m working on. “Revisons will come in on Thursday, nothing today,” was the news. Time to take off and go fishing.
Dry dropper, no bobber, all fish took the rubber legs…. Hooked over a dozen and got eight or nine to hand. The afternoon looked like this…

Image[/report]
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

stripstrike

Post by stripstrike » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:47 pm

thanks for that. you read books, take good pitchers and can tell a story too. well played. :cool
"No, I'm not a pessimist. At some point the world shits on everybody. Pretending it ain't shit makes you an idiot, not an optimist." Justin's dad

TX.

Post by TX. » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:35 pm

[report]You stalking this chick woolly?

Image[/report]
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:06 pm

Pretty much... actually she's with the band :coffee
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:04 pm

[report]
https://youtu.be/Pb0XXe5Q_QU

R.I.P. Deke Leonard

2017 – 9

With the return of winter temps I was in no hurry to get to the river, no sense battling ice for punes. So I planned to make the trip to listen to “Saturday Night Jazz in the Morning” at the Coffee House and tie some flies and or read for a while.

Well the vice never came out of the bag and I stayed and ate lunch after the the music stopped at one. By the way one of the kids that used to play at these gigs just won First Place in the American Jazz Pianist Competition in Melbourne, FL! Congrats to Thomas Linger!

You can listen to him play in a quartet at the coffee house that I recorded in April of last year. https://archive.org/details/TSCHJE_040716

With the temperature now in the mid 30s I hit the road on the way to the river. Started listening to the 50th anniversary edition of Junkie by William S. Burroughs. As I pulled in to park, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to go fishing or continue listen to the story. I was thinking about what a fly fishing junkie I am, I can’t quit and if I go without a fix for more than a week I really start getting withdrawal symptoms.

Finally got out of the car and looked at the water trying to determine if I should rig up with streamers or nymphs. The water was just ripping through this section at 405 cfs and I said, “Fuk it!” and moved on to another spot.

I waded out balls deep into the run and found fish. Mostly punes but one decent fish, which is all it takes for me to feel good about making the trip. As the sun went down I began to feel the cold and quit an hour before sunset and drove home to get some Slappy’s Chicken for dinner.

Image[/report]

[report]2017 - 10

https://youtu.be/I95xCjQe6Jg

RIP Sonny Geraci

So i was going to go fishing yesterday but I got a work call o the way to the river and did the 180. Today I made it to the river and out of cell range!

The water was lower and clearer than the last time I was up and the sun was beginning to shine too. The fish were a bit shy and hit and spit the girdle bug faster than I could set the hook.

Everywhere I looked I saw the multiple boot prints from yesterday, it looked like a stampede and I was sure that the river had been pounded. Fished on up past the 90 degree turn where the beaver dam used to be. I was about a mile and a half in when I tripped and smashed my right knee and left shin on the rocks. Fuckety Fuk Fuk! Damn that hurt! Picked myself up after rolling around on the ground and continued to fish on up a ways. Stopped at the next little falls with the big assed boulder in the middle of the stream mostly because I thought it was going to take a little longer to hike out the way my knee was hurting!

Nice walk up the stream, despite the low numbers of fish to hand!

Here's the pic dump

low and clear

i limed the roots

fall floods rearranged much of the streambed and piled the logs up high

CFO and RPL+

colony of puffballs

UFO

this has made its way downstream over two miles...

case caddis

scud or ???

about average for the day...

beer thirty...
Image[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:57 pm

[report]2017 - 11

Wasn’t really planning to fish and but with the temps headed into the mid 60s I headed off to the river. I was surprised that I was the first to the water and I chose to hit the lower reach. A friend had just posted up a haul of Morel Mushrooms, so I keep an eye out on the hike in. No dice. I did notice that some foot prints on the way in, but they looked at least a day old.

I rigged with double stones that I had tied up at the coffee shop on jazz night where I took this photo for TX.

You can listen to the music here… https://archive.org/details/TSCHJE020917/

Caught a nice brown right off the bat, pulled out the TG-3 and was greeted with BATTERY EMPTY!

Retrieved my phone from my pocket and stashed it in my vest ready for the next fish.

Continued to pick off punes and the occasional better fish until I covered that section.

Now it’s time for coffee and pie! Just bought a SC Salty License... what will tomorrow bring???

Image[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:28 pm

[report]2017 - 12

https://youtu.be/Ac6Yx3OOJ5o

Headed on down to South Carolina, I had checked out the routes on Google but when I woke up Sunday morning I hit WAZE and typed in the address and started heading on down the road in the opposite direction from what I had seen the other day. Oh well I hadn’t been down to SC this way in a long time and I sure hoped that the roads where improved. I was operating on a couple of hours of sleep. We were out late the last night first to the new Craft Taco bar, then off to the new Wise Man brewery and finally off to The Garage where my old college buddy, Wezo, and his band were having a CD release party.

Harvey Dalton warmed up the crowd with his blues guitar

https://youtu.be/02XFshcYOD0

Then the Luxuriant Sedans hit the stage to a sold out crowd.

https://youtu.be/hCN9nqijdQI

I was past Rockingham and on two lane when the sun broke the horizon

I didn’t honk

Crossed over into SC

Wrangled cars and got the boat in the water.

Poked around the creeks, weren’t real comfortable taking it up too far in shallow water and the wind was not helping us any. The visibility was nil, all the chop and wind had turned the water to the color of coffee with cream.

Oskar to the rescue…

Resorted to gear to beat the wind.

We continued to explore around and then headed back to the ramp towards sunset.
Dinner and some beers then back to the campground. The wind blew pretty hard during the night, appeared to be calm at sunrise, but began gusting while we ate breakfast.

Scouted some of the other ramps in the area and checked out Low Country Fly Shop

I went to SC looking for Redfish and all I got was a FloodTide T-Shirt!

Will be back![/report]
me "There's a season???"

Snagly

Post by Snagly » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:19 am

Just caught up on the last three months, and have decided to sell the house in Singapore and move to North Carolina to learn slide guitar and how to fish streamers for browns.

Great stories and photos. Thanks for taking the time, WB.
"You despise me, don't you?" Rick "If I gave you any thought I probably would."

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:34 am

[report]2017 – 13

https://youtu.be/QDhSFIHU4AQ

First off, friends don't let friends fly tie in bars...

The other day as I was packing up a guy pulled in to the parking and proceeded to unload his gear and I stared at it trying to figure out what he was up to with a coil of heavy rope, a saw and a pick axe. Not the gear you usually see at a trailhead, so I had to ask. Turns out he’s an artist and comes down to the river looking to salvage driftwood from the river and he uses the pickaxe mainly to help scramble up and down the banks of the river. Today I just witnessed locomotive breath as he bends to pick a dog end from the outdoor ashbin. The true face of addiction. But enough random thoughts and back to fishing.

It feels like spring around here and I can’t stay away from the water. I had a feeling that bugs could be hatching and envisioned trout rising. When I got on the water I saw plenty of bugs popping off, there were caddis, and sulfurs and little black stones flying around, floating on the water, and laying eggs. I was determined to catch a fish on a dry despite the fact that I hadn’t observed one rise. I failed and finally gave up and moved on down to another section.

Won’t be long now…

I was working a run when two long haired dudes came along and started fishing minnows. I caught a few punes and watched beevis and pal derrick their catches onto the sandy bank where they rolled around before having the hook ripped out and then unceremoniously tossed back. Fishing on till dusk with only punes for the day I packed up and headed off to see Leo Kottke.

https://youtu.be/3IkduyF2Gak

Leo put on a great show with Keller Williams, he was playing fantastic and told some hilarious stories.[/report]

[report]2017 – 14

I woke up early enough and thought about doing a two day bender on the S. Holston, checked the generation and everything, but couldn’t face to three hour drive so it was back to the local. Another bluebird sky and temps in the upper 60s maybe even into the 70s.

Quick work.

This one jumped three times and then alligator rolled, tangling up his motor, I thought he was done but he got free from the line and put the motor in gear for a little more action.

Spent some time exploring and fished from the other side for a while.

Beer break

Sign of spring…

Midges, I hate midges…

Image[/report]
me "There's a season???"

-G-

Post by -G- » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 am

Damn wooly. Your photos have been fantastic as of late. I need to get down there again. :cool
Maybe we haven't drank enough Busch- Nolan

comescrashing

Post by comescrashing » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:05 pm

This is by far one of my favorite threads, I need to head to the mountains soon