stolen hours - TR(s)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Kylemc

Re: stolen hours - TR(s)

Post by Kylemc » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:00 pm

The Bank Robber has ole PT itchy
"And sometimes both is required. We; the three of us were rather like the willow. Nothing broke us...Fucking Nothing..."

I forgot the rest.... your mom is a whore...WB25

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:58 pm

vaku wrote:
ultimate12 wrote:Bugger,
Like I said, I've wasted time in worse ways. We will have to visit that place again in the future, and methinks we may do better if the water temp is not like bath water next time.
Give me a ring boys! I'd love to meet up and drink some beers and fish a bit.

Looks like Wooly has his own awesome unlimited thread started! Keep it up you fishy fooker!

pt

We'll do it again this summer, if someone pisses in the river it turns to mud, we are looking for some cooler temps and low water, will keep you posted, it's about 1:30 for you to get to the river, we'll fish from 5 or 6 until dark...
ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:53 pm

[report]

dodging thunderstorms, finally took a chance on the local.
left the dog a home in case a storm popped up, as she'll bolt when it
thunders.

gas bumped up a little

no fish were rising at first, then bug started popping off, I saw sulfurs,
yellow drakes, BWOs, and yellow stones.

the fish ate some spinners, but the only thing that drove them to strike with
abandon was if the fly was skittering.

the fog got pretty thick as the sun set. I was casting under the rhodos on
the bank, and I notice an odor in the air, I turned upstream and there was
a was a flock of young ducks, they sort of smelled fishy.

fin[/report]
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:27 pm

[report]

wifey and daughter are down at the lake, I'm taking care of the gods, all three of them...

but after taking care of some morning business, I took a quick trip.

the water was a little off color and I threw some streamers for a while. The articulated streamer drifted over a ledge and dropped down into a hole. A flash, I set the hook. A big bastard? Fuk no! Foul hooked a bow! Damn! So it goes. Nothing else looked at the streamers, all the fish, a bakers dozen or so, were caught of nymphs. Hot as hell in the morning, no wind, high humidity. Clouds built up in the afternoon, thunderstorms in the forecast. The wind started blowing hard, a few fish rose, birds swooped. The fishing slowed, I went home to take care of the gods and have a beer.

cluster fuck????

another day another stream.... see ya tomorrow![/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:40 am

[report]

I got in a few more hours of fishing Thursday. 50/50 chance of thunderstorms.

Clouds started building up over the Doc and Merle Watson Highway.

On the walk in I spied a little DSFK

the water was just starting to drop from the morning burp and I flailed away for a while.
started wondering exactly what I thought I was doing, but then a little guy nailed the fly

The next fish felt like it was going to take the rod from my hand with a viscous strike

I had two more decent bows on the line, but the got off, I checked the fly, didn't like that.
2488 fail!

retied and almost right off hooked into a large brown. whoowhoo! I was in the fast water, but it chose to run up at me
and I had a solid hookset, played the fish for a while, it ran up and over a shallow ledge where I got a good look at it.
My heart started pounding, this fish would be better than 24 I thought. Stripped line in, then the fish took off, and I got
the fish on the reel. Worked it back in stripping line, when all of a sudden it bolted into a deep pool, I don't know I my
reactions were too slow, the fish too fast, the 6 times not strong enough or nicked, but whatever it was the tippet snapped.

Bummer

Then the sky started to boil and the thunder boomed.

I got off the water after a while and when I turned on the radio I heard the
erent erent of the National Weather Service issuing a sever thunderstorm
warning until 11 pm. I drove around for a while hoping the storm would pass.
I lightened up some but there was still lightening flashing in the sky as I headed
back out into the water.

more fish to be caught under threatening skies.

Lightening flashed and thunder boomed as I brought this last fish to hand

Image[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:56 am

[report]
here's the music from the local coffee shop last night....

weekend chores done and still plenty of daylight left, burned out on Olympics, and I needed to fish. Took the god up to the river and hoped for a bit of evening magic.

Hauled the big gun and tripod down to the river. Its hot and humid and the air is still, there is a sweet smell hanging in the air from the mowed field or is it the corn, I can't tell. Sally's off chasing after something, perhaps a rabbit. I was hoping to photograph some noses picking off flies, sulfurs to be exact.

But first a cold beer was needed and Sally just laid down in the river. I set up the tripod just above a run where I thought that I would most likely find some steady risers.

While waiting for something to happen I forced the issue.

A little nip of whiskey didn't hurt, and I drank another beer, still not much going on.

I was loosing light and there were a few fish hitting the surface. I got on the camera and followed some bugs floating on down, but they were left unmolested or were taken out of range.

Back to enticing browns to the surface as the fog rolled in and the sun set behind the trees

Sometimes you get magic in the evenings, sometimes it just gets dark.

We left the river late and I wanted to stop in at Papa's Pizza, the parking lots were full and there were blue lights too.

Drove it on home and stopped in at the local for some independent music and cold beer.[/report]
me "There's a season???"

croaker

Post by croaker » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:53 pm

Time wisely spent!

I can only think of one better way to spend free hours...

:cool
"You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him"---Robert A. Heinlein.
"Every time a fish came to the top, he grinned from ear to ear"--- fatman

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:55 am

[report]Things were getting hectic around the house with the wifey and teenage
daughter having words. I took the dog and despite the late hour headed
up the road for some piece and quiet. Filled up the car and drove off,
not stopping for any refreshments, but changed my mind and stopped in
at the Citgo, who knew they stocked Fat Tire?

Sally chased rabbits, and I hit the water. I worked hard trying to get
one fish that was up against the bank under a downed limb, and another
fish that was rising from under a submerged log. Both involved impossible
cast, but occasionally I got the drift. They wanted the fly on the twitch,
and timing was critical. While I got them to rise, I failed to land them.

I fished until it was way way dark, that's one way past reason, but there
were some sulfurs coming off and #8 yellow drakes, too. The cloud filled
sky darkened the water and it appeared inky black. The crickets and
cicadas filled the air with their chirping and the water babbled softly
at 65 cfs. I managed to get a small ones to hand before it became impossible
to see the fly. As I waded back to the trail, I called for Sally. Soon her
silhouette strobed across the trees along the bank and I heard her paws
pounding the ground. Panting , she laid in the river, and waited for me.

Image[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:35 am

[report]Inspired by the cooler weather I ran off with Sally for another round of abuse on the Smith River. I was able to leave by four which would give me an acceptable amount of stream time. When we got to the river I realized that I forgot my hat. Damn, I always fish with a hat. I checked the trunk and back seat just to make sure there wasn’t a spare lying around. Nope, I’ll have to deal with the afternoon glare, and I imagined that it would be difficult to deal with. I popped open a Fat Tire and began the walk across the field. Sally was on full alert, nose held high in the breeze, hoping to catch a scent.

First things, first! Lounge around in the cool water after chasing vermin in the field.

When we got to the water I parked my beer on a rock, half submerged in the cool water, before rigging up my rod. I was in the shade for the moment, and the sun was illuminating the run on the far side making it easy to see below the surface. There were a number of midges and a few sulfurs and grey drakes in the air. A few fish rose, and I turned my head at the sound, hoping to see the remaining ring.

The lack of a hat forced me to stand in the shade, which offered a new angle to the run. I somehow managed a miraculous cast that hooked to the left and had enough slack in it to allow a nice long drift under the overhanging shrubs. Bam! Hot stuff! Fucker ran under the log, oh shit. Don’t panic! Side pressure; pull him out from under the obstruction, success! Maybe that deserves another beer? Na, I’ll wait a little longer.

Although I spotted a number of risers, they weren’t all that regular and the river wasn’t exactly on fire. Long drifts close to the bank under the overhanging trees and rhododendrons passed undisturbed for the most part, but occasionally a twitch brought on an aggressive strike. Sometimes the fish missed the fly, and sometimes I landed another stunted Smith River brown.

Sally hung out on the river for a while, but then was off up in the field chasing after small game, while I drank beer and chased after trouts.

Around dusk I saw this large yellow drake, it was huge, and it fluttered as it emerged, I grabbed the camera with the intent of videoing the fly as it bounced along the current trying to gain flight. I mashed the wrong button and only captured this blurred image just before the fly took off and flew down the river about a foot above the surface. Twelve feet from where it became airborne a brown came up off the bottom and leapt out of the water, acrobatically spinning as if trying to jump a high bar in a failed attempt to capture the drake in midair. How that fish tracked the flying mayfly is beyond me, but it was the wow moment of the day.

As dusk approached, Sally came back down to the river as I finished up the last Fat Tire.

When it became too dark to fish, we hiked out. Sally’s nose picked up some scent and she ran off through the field.

I stopped in at the best place in town before the drive home.

Image[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:53 pm

[report]Went to the river this morning before work, slung some streamers, didn't catch shit! Stopped and watched the shocking opperation on the river.

[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:12 pm

[report]Got the lawn mowed and rewarded myself with a trip up to the river
with the dog. I thought that the thunderstorms would hold off, but
when we got out of the car at the mirror plant the air was thick and
I thought conditions were now ripe for a shower. I looked at my rain
jacket and decided to leave it behind. A cool rain might just feel good
on a day like today.

When we got to the river fish were rising up and down the pool. There
was a midge hatch in full swing, little grey fuckers. I hate midges. I tied
on a #22 Griffiths gnat and went to work. Those fish sure are picky, it
would sometimes take 20 cast over a riser for it to take my fly! I was
catching about 4 fish an hour, not exactly on fire, but steady in a slow
sort of way. Sally came out in the river and nudged up against me. Then
I hear the thunder and understood what she wanted. We headed out
and saw the approaching storm. Which turned out to be quite a frog strangler.

Image[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:48 pm

[report]Took sally up to the river, yesterday, for a few hours, the wind was blowing and the sky
was overcast. There were bugs on the water and fish were rising up and down the pool.
Somebody was shooting up on the ridge and gun shy Sally wouldn't leave my side. I
manage to get a few fish to rise and saw a couple of decent fish. It slowed down a bit
and I drank a beer of two. Scott came up from down below and we chatted for a while,
then a storm threatened to blow up. Scott called it a day, and I sat down and waited
for the river to clear from all of the leaves that were blown into the water. Things
never picked up and although I thought about fishing until dark, we left the stream for some pizza around six.

that dogfish pumkin brown ale is awesome...[/report]
me "There's a season???"