stolen hours - TR(s)

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
woolly bugger

Re: stolen hours - TR(s)

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:19 am

[report]A cold front blew through and it felt great outside the humidity was cut if half from the previous day to a comfy 42%. A hint of fall perhaps and after taking care of some yard work, I split for the river with the dog. She settles into the back seat, lying down out of the way of the rod that is still strung up from yesterday’s trip.

As we pulled into the parking lot, Sally perked up and was ready to go. I was amazed that the lot was empty on such a gorgeous afternoon, where is everybody, I wondered. Never mind, I’ve got miles of river to myself, not that we cover more than 100 yards of it, it’s still nice to know that you have it all.

Sally ran down the edge of the field, sniffing along the way, then bounding off to chase after some unseen varmint. It’s a half mile to the pool / run where I like to fish. There were two FatTires and a Dogfish Pumpkin’ Ale in the pack, and I set the New Belgians into the stream then popped open the 7% Pumpkin’, which is tasty but has an ever so slight alcohol burn. I studied the river as I enjoyed the beer, a few midges, sulfurs and yellow and slate drakes popped off. No fish rose in the run, but I saw a trout chase down an emerging drake in the shallows not 6 inches from the bank. I set the beer down in the river half submerged up against a mid-stream rock. I worked the run hoping to entice a rise.

Image[/report]
ex "I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!"
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

peetso

Post by peetso » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:17 pm

woolly bugger wrote:Image
This picture is extra rad. :cool
"Cheer up. You are not on fire." - jhnnythndr

the borealist

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:01 pm

[report]three days running....

I somehow got it in my head that after I checked my emails this morning I could drive up to the river and throw streamers until thy opened up that dam at one. It was still kind of cool at 10:30 when I rigged up the 6wt. sink tip with an articulated brown peanut. Worked my down to the big bend without so much as a bump. Switched to a smaller fly. Foulhooked this:

hooked a decent brown but it self released before photo opportunity

Moved back up top and worked the big run, hooked this

might have been way too bright today...

water came up and I went back to work...

hope you had a good morning :coffee[/report]
me "There's a season???"

"Go down to the creek. Cast a line over the bright water. Let every thought, emotion and feeling go. Wild water abides."

I wish there were more people here that put up the type of quality shit you do. Been feeshn' lately? - Ryan

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:05 am

[report]okay, I took off an hit a 'marginal' stream, not a lot of fish but some days it can be worth it.

started at the bottom of the gorge and worked my way up through the runs and pools,
went big, went small, went big and small, went dry, finally went streamers, moved some fish,
caught one brown, but time was short and I had to leave all too soon.
some days are better than others....

beats workin'[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:43 pm

[report]weather was perfect today, warming up later in the week and then rain, so I put off work for the day, making it up now and tomorrow. hit a little creek nearby and caught some trouts, most were dinks, like the first photo, but as a moved away from the road, about a mile, I started getting into 10" and even a 14", my photo skillz failed but you know what trouts look like by now. enjoy the view of my stolen day off...

Image[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:59 am

[report]I worked late Tuesday night, hoping to finish up a project early Wednesday so I could take off and fish a favorable generation schedule.

I got the files uploaded by 1:00 and hit road, I should arrive to falling water. I got to the river by 2:30, the water was still up a little, the last 2 hours of generation were at 300 cfs so it was easy to wade. I started off throwing some big articulated flies in the big run and worked my way down stream. I was using the 6wt with a sink tip . The flies were getting deep at some point I switched to a big Nut Butter and had a big fish follow and strike but no hook up. That follow was pretty exciting, just to see a big spotted brown chase after the fly got me excited and I cast with renewed vigor. I worked my way back up and by this time the water had dropped all the way. I hit some of the spots on the way up to the bridge. Went around the right side of the Island and worked the pools and rund with several big flies. Then I worked my way down the left channel swinging the big stuff. I thought about going back down along the island, but it was 6:30 and I had enough disappointment for the day.

maybe I need to be tossing a big crayfish pattern?

The water was still stained from the rain, I had really wanted to get up there Tuesday, but that just didn’t work out. It was partly sunny, for the most part, but clouded up later in the evening. I think I’ll try this section with big flies again if conditions are favorable.[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:26 am

[report]With chores done and daylight left, I took to dog up to the river.
I got there around 5, not much time to fish. A freind pulled up and tried to be social,
I cut him short. Gotta go! I fished tilll dark, there were fish rising and
Sulfurs, Midges and Rusty Spinners were working!

dark is coming too early these days....[/report]
me "There's a season???"

HPFF

Post by HPFF » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:20 am

Nicely done , can't think of a better way to spend the last couple hours of the day than loading up the god and hitting the water. :cool
I've been feeling it too , those last few days of fall are on the horizon. Won't be long until it's dark thirty when I go in and when I get off work...I hate those days.
"Pork on the plate and pigs in the drink." Ironman

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:39 pm

[report]I wanted to go to the SoHo on Sunday, but it just wasn't going to happen.
So I took Sally up to the Smith in the afternoon, I even tied up a half dozen
special flies. I think the god may have enjoyed the trip more than I did, what a difference
a day can make. I got some fish to rise but missed most of 'em. The bug weren't as
prolific as there were on Saturday. Maybe my new ties weren't the ticket, but I threw
a lot of other flies as well, go figure. Glad I brought along some PBR!

next time I'm bringing the 7x... picky little bastards...[/report]
me "There's a season???"

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:51 pm

[report]

11/10/1975

nothing much going on lately, took the god out for a spell, caught some fish
drank some beer..

here's some shots from Friday...

here's some more from Friday...

Image[/report]
me "There's a season???"

redfin89

Post by redfin89 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:55 pm

This does not suck. :cool

woolly bugger

Post by woolly bugger » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:04 pm

[report]sorry, I've neglected my thread here, I've been on maybe six short trips since the last post... not much to speak about until now...
so here's the update from Monday....

After dropping my son off at APP, I drove on up the road to visit with Stealrain and have a cold one! It was good to see him and Chidister happened to be there too. They had, for some strange reason, fished the DH on Wilson, and reported that the angler hatch was suffocating. But it was a nice day to be out.

The Chidister was planning a float on the FB with Socks on Monday and we made plans to fish. Seeing that it was going to rain all day, I went around a tried to located my missing L.L. Bean Gore-tex PacLight jacket, the one that has kept me dry for five years and went missing in late November. I checked at all the bars, cafe's and other places that I may have left it. No luck. I packed my Coleman Peak 1 jacket which I've purchased around 1987 for a canoe trip down that Allagash River. I don't have a high level of confidence in that jacket and when I got to Brevard I went to DRO (Davidson River Fly Shop) and purchased a Simms jacket. As I leave the store I see Socks and Chidester's boat in the parking lot, perfect timing. We're off river, where we leave my car at the take out for the shuttle. At the put in we gear up and launch the drifter with Socks at the oars, the river is flowing at a pretty good clip, but there is a nice eddy just past the ramp and I looked like socks was going to push the boat into shore, but he misses it, turns around and can't get it back up stream. He's floating on down the steeply banked river. He managed to get it to the bank and hangs on to as we figure out how and where we can get in the boat. A short hike leads us to a little spot where we think we can get the boat into shore, and holler to socks to come on down. Thankfully he navigates to us and we finally get under way.

The water is heavily stained and visibility is low, I go with yellow and Socks goes dark, Red and black I think. We fish for a while and finally I decide that I would fish better after a Dale's Pale Ale. I took the sticks and we floated on down the river and after a while caught up to the DRO raft that put-in ahead of us. We pulled over for a beer break and let them get on ahead.

The action remained consistent, non-resistant, in a word - slow. No fish were seen, although I would swear that I had a bump early on, but didn't report it at the time.

the ride up Black Mountain

Chidister on the sticks

At the take out

waiting ...

At the take out, as I reached into my pocket, I discovered that my keys were missing. Oh, fuck! I searched everywhere, even taking off my waders in the hope that I missed my pocket and the keys were donw the leg. Calls were made to DRO and Socks and Chidester took off down the road leaving me to guard the [s]boat[/s] beer. I think they just wanted to get away from the dufus who lose the keys... Thirty minutes later the DRO guide who had floated in front of us pulled up to offer assistance. Problem solved and Kudos to the Davidson River Outfitters for lending a hand. My keys were in the truck and all ended well.

I blame the whole key thing on lack of sleep, an Owl woke me up at five, screeching in the backyard, I don't know what it was doing other than making a racket, the other think was wearing full chest waders for the first time in a long time (not easy to reach the keys in the pants pocket) which led me to leave the keys in the door hand hold ....

So, today, when I got to the coffee shop, the Batista greats me with, "We found your jacket!!!", "Oh, great," I reply, "I just bought a new one yesterday."

Anybody want to buy a almost new (worn once) Simms jacket?[/report]
me "There's a season???"