The Islamorada Mentality...

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
RFA

Re: The Islamorada Mentality...

Post by RFA » Wed May 30, 2012 6:41 pm

This thread is ridiculous. I once campaigned against the draize eye irritancy test to save rabbits in labs. You know what I did with those fucking rabbits? I'll tell you what I did, I beat them with a stick until they couldn't walk, but at least I released them into nearby bushes to get beat another day when I saw it fit to do so.

Get off your fucking high horses. Fishing is fishing. Do I feel bad when I chuck greenback cutthroat on the bank? Yeah, for a second. It doesn't prevent me from doing it, however. There's always another cement mixer dumping rainbows in the next stretch.

Pussies.
As it turns out, God? He was a squirrel. A big 'ol meaty one. "I found god, he used to say"

The Volfish

Post by The Volfish » Wed May 30, 2012 6:52 pm

RFA wrote:This thread is ridiculous.

Boycott O'Dells Brewery!

Pussies.
Do I pay full price for every place I get to fish? Fuck no. - nemo

RFA

Post by RFA » Wed May 30, 2012 6:56 pm

Touche'

What, was that 4 years ago? I like to think that my insanity has set in recently.....thanks for dispelling that notion.
As it turns out, God? He was a squirrel. A big 'ol meaty one. "I found god, he used to say"

TX.

Post by TX. » Wed May 30, 2012 11:18 pm

RFA wrote: Get off your fucking high horses. Fishing is fishing. Do I feel bad when I chuck greenback cutthroat on the bank? Yeah, for a second. It doesn't prevent me from doing it, however. There's always another cement mixer dumping rainbows in the next stretch.

Pussies.
Here-in lies the problem w/ your statement...these are not trout.
TO DATE, there has not ever been witness to a fertilized tarpon egg...so that means not only is the science to find them not there, but the science to breed them isn't either. A captive tarpon has NEVER been bred.
We're not talking about 6-10 year old fish here, we're talking about 60-80 year old fish (or more)...that some "sportsmen" treat like dog shit...ok worse.
The tarpon is the ONLY fish (including sharks) that hasn't evolved in over a million years, the bone structure from million year old fossils are IDENTICAL to current tarpon bone structure.
RFA, I know you got your ass kicked (again) in FLA and are still bent about it...and pissed off at tarpon, but did you realize this is a fish that can breath oxygen from the air as well ass the water, that's right tarpon have a lung, as well as gills. There one up on ya buddy.

TP, don't give me shit on this, and we've been through it, but yes. I used to lip gaff fish. I'd only stick a hook in them if they were over a hundred and they could potentially cause harm to myself, my boat, or a client.
I was involved in a tagging program w/ the state as well as working w/ FSU in the bonefish and tarpon program.
I put more state tags in fish than all other guides combined.
The way I looked at it, those fish were my business partners.

Yeah, there might be a ton of fucking rednecks in Texas, but at least the tarpon tourneys they hold down there are responsible.
All entries are given a newspaper from that day and it has to be in the photo of the taped fish, or they are given a "secret" item that morning w/ the date on it, that must be in the photo (yellow paper plate w/ date)...
All fish must be taped and released in the water. Dead fish, points off....

Anyway, the next WR will come from Africa, they always do.

...and Heero, I think you missed the point. The point was that if the "record hunters" caught it here (US), the soul of the fish would be wasted, it would be dumped into the ocean to feed the crabs...if it is caught in in a third world country, it would feed a village for a week.

(Beer kicking in)

...For those of you that don't know, I landed a very large tarpon a few years ago. I released the fish in good health and felt good about the release and the well being of the fish. Based on the length to girth ratio (+or- 5%) the fish would have been in the top three ever landed on a fly rod...I wasn't using "16# class tippet" like in FLA. I had a 60# flouro so I could land and release ANY fish as fast as possible (and we're still talking 45 minutes to an hour and a half).
If that fish had sank to the bottom when I released her I would have stopped fishing for them period...
On the tape she went 84" in length and 43" in girth. You do the math if if you're interested enough.

Honestly I'd much rather catch the babies, they spend more time in the air than in the water, you fight them for five or ten minutes. Then you catch another.

Sorry about the ramble, I've had a shitty last couple of days and the way these dipshits treat this majestic fish...without even trying to make an effort to let them live just pisses me off.
Which one of you fuckers has a flats skiff in the NC mountains?-southernstrain
Was there also a raft,drift boat,jon boat,and a gheeno in the yard?-Kyle

tailingpermit

Post by tailingpermit » Thu May 31, 2012 3:58 am

No shit given, TX.

Thank you for your time.

I have a hatred for two of the big three, but regardless
of their standing in my mind, their place in the ecosystem
is worth fighting for.

As a past angler, there's a realization that there is no
delegation of importance, protection of each one of the
three is equally essential.

I have gained a following from my time fishing the three,
and while I am a thousand miles away, I use that following
to express my views on the current situation.

And as far as I know it's working, the amount of drunk rant
messages during the weight tournaments in Islamorada proves
that.

It has never been about winning popularity contests, it's about the
fish, they're bigger than all of us.

Steps need to be made to ensure their existence in the future.

WNC Permit

Post by WNC Permit » Thu May 31, 2012 6:41 am

Nice post TX
Tarpon are ancient souls and world travellers. There is so much unknown about their life and when people treat them like stocked shit it pisses me off. Those same fish that are susceptible to fish mulching in Honduras are passing though the Florida Keys in their migration. It really does not matter what regulations we have here in the states for Tarpon and other migratory species if other countries are not following suit. Belize is more progressive than here when the designated Tarpon, along with Permits and Bones as gamefish with no harvesting except in traditional areas. we really should push for a universal protection of these fish.. unless of course they find a magic Chinese remedy for gout that involves tarpon gills and Permit lips....

CharlieJenkem

Post by CharlieJenkem » Thu May 31, 2012 7:09 am

tailingpermit wrote: I have gained a following from my time fishing the three,
This is my new favorite sentence on the entire Internet.

Sudan got George Clooney. How did the poor fucking tarpons get stuck with you?
Master of karate and friendship for everyone.

tailingpermit

Post by tailingpermit » Thu May 31, 2012 7:45 am

CharlieJenkem wrote:
tailingpermit wrote: I have gained a following from my time fishing the three,
This is my new favorite sentence on the entire Internet.

Sudan got George Clooney. How did the poor fucking tarpons get stuck with you?
It's TARPON, reject!

Hold all replies till five pm mountain standard time, going to sleep.

*Edit: Or, my secretary can be reached at donna@tailingpermitbabyjesus.com

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Thu May 31, 2012 7:54 am

TX. wrote: ...and Heero, I think you missed the point. The point was that if the "record hunters" caught it here (US), the soul of the fish would be wasted, it would be dumped into the ocean to feed the crabs...if it is caught in in a third world country, it would feed a village for a week.
I usually do. Im not even smart enough to know what an MC is!

BigTimber

Post by BigTimber » Thu May 31, 2012 7:56 am

holy fucking shit TX. According to my BTT weight estimator app for my iphone, lol, that fucker was between 215lb and 228 lbs. God Fucking Damn son!
This place has enough jiggly milkbags, marsupials fisting off, and animated cherubs getting stabbed in the fuck to get anyone shitcanned, if''n their boss can''t take a joke. ~SUAF

Pussy, much like freedom, ain't free.

America has become a dildo that has turned berserkly on its owner. ~McGuane 1971

Elias Wonder

Post by Elias Wonder » Thu May 31, 2012 8:16 am

Since I was in kneepants my pop had tried to make me realize
If I set my mind down to it I could be a big man in the public eye
So with my big blue collar on, I set out to find the easy way
What an ice cold bath it was when I found you had to pay to play

tailchaser

Post by tailchaser » Thu May 31, 2012 9:36 am

Is it just me or does the Arapaima seem like a cousin to the Tarpon...
"Most of my money I spent on whiskey and women. The rest I just wasted." locogringo

"Fishing and whores... 99 percent of my brain activity." Blumpkin