Aspect

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Redchaser

Re: Aspect

Post by Redchaser » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:33 am

Average Joe wrote:I've read this latest installment several times now.

Probably more.

I can both identify with and appreciate the pain you went through packing in those luxuries.

I also know what it feels like - tastes like - to pop one of those tops after it's been resting in a cold stream for a couple of hours, and how that first sip can cause you to close your eyes and think, "It was worth it."

But the rock.

the rock.jpg

The rock is the unexpected icing.

Every time I come to the end of your TR and see that photo, I bust out laughing.

I love your friends too.

:cool
Joe, if you ever take another trip with Mr. Magoo, you must find a creative way to give him the gift of a rock.
"... don’t let your life become the sloppy leftovers of your work" Jim Harrison

"Put in the effort and good things happen"... Hogleg

"Salinity is proportional to sanity for sure" ..The Volfish

Redchaser.com, all about Louisiana Fly Fishing

befuddled

Post by befuddled » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:23 am

Excellent. Most excellent.

I remember casting into a small lake and catching fish after fish on dries while my brother got his ass handed to him on his power bait worms. One of the few times my flies outfished his gear. Also the day he picked up a fly rod amd said let me try this. Great day.

Thanks for this report
There are so many dildos out there, you''d think setting their phones to vibrate would come naturally. ---SUAF

greedy capitalist/liberal-elitist/gun-toting profit monger

We'll wake the dead motherfucker. Fuck you. ---- Fallen513

striper42

Post by striper42 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:56 pm

Awesome. Love the rare, high alpine TR on here. Dumb cutts in high lakes, good livin. :cool

How happy was the black bear sniffing around the vacant campsite for some left-behind scraps when he found a block of cheese?

Randall Dee

Post by Randall Dee » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:59 am

Needs more wee lad.....

Average Joe
Location: Where they rip out the trees and name streets after them.

Post by Average Joe » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:27 pm

Bump.

peetso

Post by peetso » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:00 am

bump.
"Cheer up. You are not on fire." - jhnnythndr

the borealist

LA Fly Guy

Post by LA Fly Guy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:27 am

Redchaser wrote:
Average Joe wrote:I've read this latest installment several times now.

Probably more.

I can both identify with and appreciate the pain you went through packing in those luxuries.

I also know what it feels like - tastes like - to pop one of those tops after it's been resting in a cold stream for a couple of hours, and how that first sip can cause you to close your eyes and think, "It was worth it."

But the rock.

the rock.jpg

The rock is the unexpected icing.

Every time I come to the end of your TR and see that photo, I bust out laughing.

I love your friends too.

:cool
Joe, if you ever take another trip with Mr. Magoo, you must find a creative way to give him the gift of a rock.
Being a flatlander who doesn't hike much at all, I never fully understood the "rock" thing until after the recent redfish get-together. The topic of hiking and gifting of large rock(s) in a friend's pack came up in discussion. That's some good shit. After all, what are friends for?

CarelessEthiopian

Post by CarelessEthiopian » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:24 am

June of 2017 was a good month for me. We had a baby boy, the weather was perfect, I spent lots of time with friends and family. But, the fishing. The fishing was some of the best I've had around here. Runoff came and went mildly. I fished some new water that just became available to the public (which never happens), hoisted many large carps with Lando, Willi, and Ramcatt, floated my local local for the first time and did well, and probably did some other things I'm forgetting. But what stands out most for me about this past June is the dry fly fishing. Ponds, freestones, flatwater. Caddis, PMDs, green drakes, damsels, hoppers. Many fish were squeezed.

Of all those fish, there is one that stands out.

I was on day one or two of a three day bender of big flies, long leaders, and big fish. I was fishing alone. I was two hours into my day and I had come tight to many fish and gotten the net wet more than enough times. I met some quality fish and eventually found the one I was looking for. It was the lead fish in a group of 3. They were all large and eating things off the surface. I got into position, started my cast, and hooked a bush way behind me. I gave a little tug and the tip section of my rod broke just above the top ferrule. I just kind of squatted down and quickly weighed my options.

I had a spare rod in the car, because I have broken things before, but it was about a half mile away. Do I go get it and risk the fish being gone when I come back? Nope. I'd been looking for this fish for a while and didn't want to take my eyes off of him. Luckily, because of my vast experience in broken graphite, I was well practiced at fishing with a portion of a fly rod.

The odds were going to be against me. 7.5' of a 9' rod, 14' leader, 5X. I did a practice cast off to the side and felt confident I could get the fly where it needed to be, but I was unsure what would happen after I hooked the fish. Only one way to find out.

I made one cast and caught that fucking fish and went home. It was 23 inches long.
IMG_4871.JPG
IMG_4871.JPG (460.34 KiB) Viewed 166 times
IMG_4546.JPG
IMG_4546.JPG (597.73 KiB) Viewed 166 times
boy in long pants

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:45 am

Very cool Ben, but I thought shit like that only happened to me. I always find it fun when I hook a huge as redfish and as he runs a big tangle of line come up out of the stripping basket, hangs on one of the guides and pulls the tip section off of the rod following the fish.

CarelessEthiopian

Post by CarelessEthiopian » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:57 am

Redchaser wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:45 am
Very cool Ben, but I thought shit like that only happened to me. I always find it fun when I hook a huge as redfish and as he runs a big tangle of line come up out of the stripping basket, hangs on one of the guides and pulls the tip section off of the rod following the fish.
Or when you're hooked up to your first bull redfish and the line gets wrapped around the rod, and your friend leaps into action like a fucking gazelle and frees up your line.
boy in long pants

Redchaser

Post by Redchaser » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:03 am

CarelessEthiopian wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:57 am
Redchaser wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:45 am
Or when you're hooked up to your first bull redfish and the line gets wrapped around the rod, and your friend leaps into action like a fucking gazelle and frees up your line.
I forgot about that, and thank you, this is the first and likely last time my fat ass ever gets compared to a gazelle.

Ruddy Duck

Post by Ruddy Duck » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:37 am

Fantastic Ben.