Giving the bluelines closure - TR

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
Transylwader

Giving the bluelines closure - TR

Post by Transylwader » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:22 am

[report]MRL0004 wanted in on some blueline action, how could I deny the man the opportunity at catching 4" fish? Bearsfan was right, I am a daggum trout weenie, but fuck it...
TX hosted us for the weekend and we had a grand ole time up in Appalachia. I spent Friday fishing 8 piss trickles and having a blast with the 2wt.

A place that celebrates halloween 365. Creepy mountain folk...
MRL004 made it over Friday eve from the SoHo. Game plan devised...
Twenty South African Rand to the drakian who identifies this Quilt pattern.
TX hucked ugly musky size streamers tojack this Cricket bat
MRL004 found a Roy Orbowson
Woolly Bugger copyright infringement?
This brown is bigger than the pune red fish I caught in Florida 2 weeks ago. A sure sign of the times...
Next stop? The Franzen Homecoming Downtown Lenoir Parade then Steelie Alley with Rammers and Co.[/report]
Last edited by Transylwader on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If assholes could fly, Raleigh would be a fucking airport - my Mum

ScottP

Re: Giving the bluelines closure - TR

Post by ScottP » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:53 pm

Last edited by ScottP on Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone stopped to stare at your technicolor motor home
RIP Walter

ncguy

Post by ncguy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:03 pm

For the record that quilt pattern is the trout variation of the classic bow tie pattern
I had to learn banjo. TX
Don't let your sheepfucking ruin the best imaginary relationships you're ever gonna have.-Befuddled
Red has enough good karma in storage that he could start an online business selling it to the world's assholes. Rancho Pancho
if the trip kills you, you won't live to regret it. JT

WanderingBlues

Post by WanderingBlues » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Love them blue lines. Also like that 'bleach bypass' editing on the photos. Perfect way to tell the story.
A Street Preacher asked me where I wanted to spend Eternity? I said "Fly Fishing." He smiled.

NeedmoreDEET

Post by NeedmoreDEET » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:45 pm

That was an enjoyable break from my day :cool

Tough getting back in the work mode after a week in Cabo - lol
I like that quote....now have someone hold your head under water until you post a proper intro....or until you stop struggling. - RFA

tailchaser

Post by tailchaser » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:50 pm

a little freaked out by the chick (or whatever the fuck that is).. in the window...
"Most of my money I spent on whiskey and women. The rest I just wasted." locogringo

"Fishing and whores... 99 percent of my brain activity." Blumpkin

VTNZ

Post by VTNZ » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:03 pm

tailchaser wrote:a little freaked out by the chick (or whatever the fuck that is).. in the window...
X2. "walk faster and keep yer head down..."

When the season is coming to an end, a trip like that is just alot tastier. Nice stuff man... :cool
People are assholes because half the people around are of below average intelligence - Shunned

I hope I didn't infer that I was antifingerbanging. Its an art I hold dear. - RT

Transylwader

Post by Transylwader » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:45 pm

VTNZ wrote:
tailchaser wrote:a little freaked out by the chick (or whatever the fuck that is).. in the window...
X2. "walk faster and keep yer head down..."

When the season is coming to an end, a trip like that is just alot tastier. Nice stuff man... :cool
I so wanted to steal that beer mug. I looked over the rise and there stood the land owner getting ready to fire up the chain saw. We all shat bricks yesterday. Three gun shots were fired, pit Bulls glaring at us in trailers, locals attending church service.
The Rock woulda been proud...The Peoples Elbow :smile
If assholes could fly, Raleigh would be a fucking airport - my Mum

cantfishforshit
Location: Whever I happen to be at the moment, unless I am drunk.

Post by cantfishforshit » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:12 pm

Damn fine trip. I'll be hitting the west edge of that range in about a week. Glad to see fish are still somewhat eager.
Better be putting together one hell of a plan to survive this clusterfuck.
-Blumpkin

If it isn't listed on the commodities market, it gets plowed under in favour of something that is. There's no money in willows or young poplar or native grasses.
-Peetso

Roses are red. Bacon is red. Poetry is hard. Bacon
-Unknown

Chidester

Post by Chidester » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:36 pm

nice report. wish I could have made it over on Sunday but work kicked my ass. Hope you guys redeemed me for the shitty day we had on the soho

BearsFan

Post by BearsFan » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:45 pm

Well done!

Did I really say daggum? I have been talking to Bobby too much..
"I've been searching my whole life for a woman to feed me once a day and eat me once a day. My needs are simple." - Outcast

"Mostly I think about hookers and Tarpon fishing." - blumpkin

mrl0004

Post by mrl0004 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:14 pm

[report]Fall to me is a lot of things, but since I have started fly fishing, one thing is usually on my mind.....trout, the brown variety to be exact. With that in mind, I planned to head north hoping to catch lots of browns. Had plans with a friend to fish out of his drift boat, but he wussed out because he now has titanium screws in his hand or some other lame excuse. I told him it would make him stronger, but he wasn't buying it. I took off work Thursday and Friday to hit my favorite tailwater solo and then head over to NC Friday night to spend the weekend fishing with TX and Transylwader. It was a long drive, but anticipation and adrenaline kept me going. Some of these pics are Mike's, thanks again for taking them and sending them to me.

I arrived Thursday afternoon to find that they were generating, so I went to my cabin and ate a quick lunch.

I made the best of what little time I had, but no big ones...

This guy had obviously already been hooked....

Once generation started, I had about 3 hours to run and fish down low before the water arrived. I fished for most of those three hours without catching a thing.

At least the scenery was nice...

Left after lunch on Friday to go ahead and make my way over to NC. I stopped along the way for some small stream fishing.

Saw a really cool old bridge:

Some random shed in the middle of nowhere...

All I caught were small rainbows..

So far my pursuit of brown trout had been a failure, or at least the big ones. I met up with the guys in NC Friday night and the beer drinking and BSing commenced.

The next morning came way too early and I somehow gathered my things and we headed to the first stream of the day. Thirty minutes later, we arrive at the stream. We started suiting up and guess who had left their wading boots? That's right, another hour round trip behind because I am an idiot. Oh well, we got it together and were on the creek in no time. I caught some rainbows that were not worth the time to photograph, so I don't have lots of pics. This is some of the morning:

Transylwader is in there somewhere...

TX and Transylwader:

TX releasing a bow:

Some scenery:

Then we came across a deep pool that just had to hold fish. And boy did it....

In that case, a rainbow is ok with me, but I still am striking out on my pursuit of browns. We retire back to TX's man cave and drink beer and eat some awesome burgers.

We stayed up a while swapping fish stories and watching fly fishing films on the huge projector screen.

The next morning we awake with the task of getting me my first blueline brown trout. At this point I have accepted that I will not catch a big fish and just decide to go after numbers.

Places like this are worth the hike in..

We found a beer can older than I am...

Fishing a 9 feet wide creek is tough with one person, add two more and it is complete chaos. We somehow manage it, but no fish are caught up this high...

We get on the stream and I immediately hook up (please be a brown, please be a brown)

Son of a .......

I swear I am cursed. Why can't I catch the one fish I want, I don't even care how big it is, just let me catch a brown.

We fish on up....

Transylwader caught a real nice 14" brown, then benben proceeded to catch a nice one. Apparently all I can catch are rainbows.

We work our way to the last pool of my 850 mile round trip to catch brown trout and I have zero browns to show for it. First cast, BAM! Fish on! The just as quickly, Fish off! :evil: Last cast, this is eat please something eat.....

Thank God!

I am still in pursuit of that awesome brown trout day. Maybe next time I wil go after rainbows and maybe I will catch some browns then. However, this trip is over. I have a 6hr drive back and I need to hit the road. A quick celebratory beer and in the parking lot and I hit the road.

On this trip I learned you can't always get what you came after, but time on the water with new friends, surrounded by beautiful mountains, and catching some beautiful trout isn't all that bad.

I had a great time guys. I can't thank TX enough for allowing me to crash there and Mike for driving me around and putting me on fish. Already looking forward to next time...... :cool[/report]
"Don't ever underestimate the power of a good blue line session with a 1wt. Shit gets settled out on the boulders, things get prioritized. And, in the end, you put something back in the tank..." -wandering blues