Lining up a 11' 7wt Helios switch rod???

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
jerome

Lining up a 11' 7wt Helios switch rod???

Post by jerome » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:44 pm

While not my first choice, One of my bosses gave me the rod as a gift of appreciation for a season of good work guiding for him, or at least thats what he said.

Just curious any one else have one of these rods or any experience with them? Just need to figure out which type of line best suits my fishing and would like to just have a single floating line for now, i have used skagit systems on spey rods and dont really need anything like that for streamers and nymphing on large streams, wont be using sink tips and would like to avoid the systems. I want to be able to spey and roll cast, overhand is useless for me if Im using this rod.

Poppy at the red shed advises at least 420 grain line, just deciding between Rio's basic spey line, something with a built in skagit or scandi head is where Im having problems. Even do my steelhead fishing with a floating line and flourocarbon leader. If I need to Ill use a rio poly sink tip.

So i guess I am say I want to keep it simple and figure out which line casts easiest on this rod.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.... :cool
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

BearsFan

Re: Lining up a 11' 7wt Helios switch rod???

Post by BearsFan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:53 am

Start by putting the line through the largest guide (circle thingy) that is closest to the reel (line holder thingy) then work your way to the tip (that's what she said).
"I've been searching my whole life for a woman to feed me once a day and eat me once a day. My needs are simple." - Outcast

"Mostly I think about hookers and Tarpon fishing." - blumpkin

LuckyBastard

Post by LuckyBastard » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:33 am

Green line will clash with the color of the blank, so stay away from that one :cheer
"Honey, one more cast, then we''ll go, promise..."

Ramcatt

Post by Ramcatt » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:34 am

SA- Mastery Textured Nympy/Indicator
airflo - speydicator
Rio- switch line
"Ramcatt is the origninal cuntry fishing troubadour, and the youngest dirty old man to fish these waters"
- Al Goldstein (c.1973)

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:42 am

One of the 31' Rio Steelhead Scandis. Dunno what weight you need, just buy the closest to the rod recs. These are the better Rio Scandis for turning over Polyleaders, the AFS scandis need a few feet cut back until you get into the 8/9 range and above (which is more than youd be using on a switch) as the front taper is lighter than the butt of the polyleaders so you lose power -- makes for shitty loops and piles of line.

Or buy an Airflo. The Airflo lines have always been better, but theyve changed up their line ranges in the past couple years and I dont know whats what any longer.

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:48 am

Yeah, the Airflo lines are all weird now. I need a new Scandi Line, as well, as I left my old Airflo full scandi (the 40 or 41' version) on a real that I left in some hippy's car. The short ones ok, I treid them, butt they are so much shorter. That 6' really makes a difference, its like 2 extra strips before casting. Dont look like Airflo offers the long ones any longer. I might have to try one of the Guideline lines.

[blank stare]

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:23 am

heero- tactical steelhead. leave the tip on if you want long and reasonable powerful. remove the float tip and chuck junk.

Jerome- nymphy- what RC siad. speydicator is nice just won't fit on any reel appropriate for switches.

spey- that scandi short heero mentions or a rage from airflo are the hot lines this week. next week, who knows.

Heero[CntRmbrPwd]

Post by Heero[CntRmbrPwd] » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:46 am

Those tactical steelhead lines are heavy as all getout. Id like about 500gr over 40 or 42 feet, ideally, for an 8 weight.

unskunkable

Post by unskunkable » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:47 am

Or you could just go with the Orvis switch line that was designed to cast on it........cough, cough
Welcome. Please take my seat. I'm currently about to douse myself with gas and light a joint-Jhnnythndr

and it was then, just like the time when I was asked for my passport... a little bit of poop came out.-shunned

Nothing makes me giggle like a little fake rodent peering out the maw of the bassfish. That shit is humorous. ---- Trucha Del Mar

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:34 am

Heero[CntRmbrPwd] wrote:Those tactical steelhead lines are heavy as all getout. Id like about 500gr over 40 or 42 feet, ideally, for an 8 weight.
7wt 520@39' but too bad they quit making them anyway.

jerome

Post by jerome » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:44 am

unskunkable wrote:Or you could just go with the Orvis switch line that was designed to cast on it........cough, cough
:cool If it were only that simple.

This was my first conclusion until I started reading what Poppy had to say about lining up these rods and how the 8wt line in that series is perfect for the 7wt and the 7wt line is about 100 grains to light.

The Orvis lines just dont sound like they will do what I need them to do and I have experience with skagit setups and spey rods.

Ive got one of the old Orvis MA 4 for it. Has plenty of line capacity and fits,balances it great.

Just wondering what the simplest, most cost efficient line is.... Not into the fads and such, and can't throw a lot of money at lines especially seeing how little ill get to use this rod.

I just know I need at least 420-450 grains to do what Im going to be doing with this rod.

If that makes any sense. These switch rods and all the varying opinions and technical jargon are new to me.

Thanks guys. :cool
"Being tossed from The Drake for excessive assholery is a bit like being thrown out of the Rolling Stones for profligate abuse of drugs and booze." - Ajax

jerome

Post by jerome » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:14 pm

The Rio switch looks good....

But the 6/7 is 500 grains and the 7/8 550 grains.

Should I just order a 6/7?

Or the Orvis 420 grain switch line for the 8 wt.

:cool

I can get both on sale right now. Thanks for the suggestions.