I'll remember

This forum is for general topics. Keep all posts, images, etc safe for those who read the forum at work. Post only that content that you'd want your mama to read. Violators will be banned.
shunned

I'll remember

Post by shunned » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:06 pm

the planes just passed overhead.

a different sound to what my family endured in 1940, london... but chilling nonetheless.
remembrance-day-aus.jpg
remembrance-day-aus.jpg (17.48 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
thank you.
the depths of your narcissism never cease to amaze me

-raffa of all fucking people

DeShootnestGent'man

Re: I'll remember

Post by DeShootnestGent'man » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:38 pm

"Keep calm and carry on"... Indefatigable folk, none finer.

:cool
"We old farts meet on Tuesdays for bacchi ball and whores. Bring a shotgun."- G.P.

SLSS

Post by SLSS » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:12 pm

:cool
It's lime the battles between sperm whales and giant squid half a mile below the surface of the ocean. Only it happens in the palm I your hand.- thndr

when I fall, I am still cold and wet, but much more stylishly dressed. as my hat disappears in the riffle- flybug.pa

"Sugar? No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough."

Hogleg

Post by Hogleg » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks to them all :cool
"girls with eating disorders will usually let you come in there in butt." -Jhnnythndr
"...my grandmother’s Tang always tasted like rusty water and dirty socks." - Average Joe
"with some limited exceptions steelhead live where the lady selection is sparce." - MTG

pbrstreetgang

Post by pbrstreetgang » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:59 pm

'til we form again
you know who you are. thanks

ps - shunned: my Great Uncle Robert was in one of the those planes over England late in the War
This is him sporting a .50 out the waist of a Marauder. He flew missions over Bavaria. Here he is with my Grandfather (3rd from left) and the other four brothers:
Every male in my family served since leaving Europe at the onset of the "Great War."
Some went back after they arrived in the US:
yeah, I'm proud - and thankful.
Everybody knows this is nowhere...

BobLoblaw

Post by BobLoblaw » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:22 am

My Mother's brother, Claude, was one of many young Newfoundlanders who enlisted & fought in WWII...

45 years ago, my sister met a young man at the U.S. Airforce base in Goose Bay, Labrador; they've been married for 44 years, and he has retired from the military. Two of their three sons have served, with the oldest just retiring himself a couple weeks ago. This excerpt from his retirement speech gives some insight into his career...

"But why did I stay? After all, what attraction did the Air Force hold for a liberal hippy with authority issues? It wasn’t for the money, as you all know. It wasn’t because the Air Force always chooses the most efficient and cost effective way of doing things. It certainly wasn’t because of the warm embrace of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. I stayed because of what I found in the Air Force.

What I found was people committed to an idea larger than themselves. I found Americans from all walks of life eager to make a difference in the world. I found a culture where it is understood that, as Lt Col Jarry is fond of saying, 100% is the standard.

I’ve been to dozens of countries. I’ve participated in countless humanitarian missions bringing food and medicine to people who were starving to death and dying of things to death before we landed. I’ve taken part in missions that ended some of the worst atrocities in the last 20 years. I’ve helped bring freedom – or at least give freedom a chance – to millions. These were definitely NOT on my list of job responsibilities as the Dunkin’ Donuts night manager and baker! I’ve been a part of some of the major news headlines in the past 23 years.

There are two pictures of the US military that stand out as my personal favorites. One is more than 20 years old. It’s of a crowd of hundreds of starving, weapon-wielding Haitians encircling another man accused of stealing food from a USAid distribution area. They want him dead. The man is terrified, but the crowd is kept at bay by two – equally terrified, but determined – US Marines.

The other photo is of three US Army Soldiers protecting an Afghan man and his son on a hillside. It’s made its way around the Internet in the form of a ‘motivational poster.’ The caption reads: “Honor. The difference between the bad guys and the good guys is whether they use human shields or make themselves human shields.’

Make no mistake about it; that’s what we do. The best of the US military can be summed up in those two photographs. They embody the spirit of a great quote attributed to Edmund Burke, the 18th century parliamentarian, which reads, “All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.” Whether you’re the Marine or Soldier standing between the devil and the deep blue sea, or the fighter pilot called in to provide close air support, or the Crew Chief who spends all night getting the jet ready (only to have the pilot discover new and interesting ways to break it), or the comptroller who funds the whole operation, or whatever job you do in the service of our country, you have stood up to be counted with the good guys; to serve a cause larger than yourselves, and to make a difference in the world. For 23 years, 8 months and 21 days, it has been an honor to be counted among you."

Thank you to those who have served. We remember.
"Walters brook trout. Roots steelhead. Thalwegs tarpon. Loblaws cutthroats.

The list continues to grow..."
-Fatman

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:51 am

My neighbor (85) is retired Air Force with 70 missions under his belt. I had an uncle that landed on Iwo Jima and a nephew that did 2 tours in Iraq. I remember.

LuckyBastard

Post by LuckyBastard » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:00 am

:cool to all the diggers for keeping us safe, those who have and still are serving, my deepest thanks.

Edit: The whole Dojo was out today for an outdoor training session. Pretty great to see 50 people plus, just stop, sit, and quietly remember at 11:11. Most of the members were under 10 yo and were very keen to participate in the minute silence. I was impressed.
"Honey, one more cast, then we''ll go, promise..."

dropowar

Post by dropowar » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:07 am

Lest we forget. :cool

Ginseng Sullivan

Post by Ginseng Sullivan » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:24 am

Thank you to all who served and especially to the few remaining WW2 vets. This is a shot of my 86 year old, Silver Star decorated Father busting a bird last Memorial day. he has been under the weather recently and has us all a bit worried. His 92 year old brother who served in the Marshall Islands is also still with us. Pray for the passed and also for the remaining. Never Forget.
Attachments
_05-28-12-16051A.jpg
_05-28-12-16051A.jpg (509.33 KiB) Viewed 2558 times

SOBF

Post by SOBF » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:39 am

I love that picture GS ! Hoping your dad feels better.

Cary

Post by Cary » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:40 am

yes. Deep Gratitude for those that put it All on The Line.
Utah is great, it's just too bad it's in Utah...
-CE